WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken nipples on original 1858 remington.

Broken nipples on original 1858 remington.

Well... I came back home after a quick outing and saw a sheared nipple on my remington. They were stuck so I left them to soak in penetrating oil. I ordered a special high grade nipple wrench to try and torque them out. It didn't get here yet.

Turns out my dad thought it would be a good idea to try and twist or pry it out... Sheared the head clean off. I told him 100 times to wait and let me do it. But he's like a child and thinks he know's best.

So no I have a stuck sheared nipple in the cylinder... Anyway of getting it out and any replacements that would fit? No uberti or pietta. They dont work.

Anyone know where I can get a full cylinder by chance? I saw a repro for an original but its for .44 cal. Mine is a navy .36.

Boolit Master
    Soak it a couple days in 5/50 acetone and ATF.
    The get an easy out of the correct size and try it.
    Go gently, you don't want to break off the easy out (as bad as a broken tap).

If it still doesn't want to come out, maybe put it in the oven @ ~200 F for a hour, then dunk in the ATF/acetone mixture.
    Another thought is to soak it in Evaporust for a day or so, then back into the 50/50 for a day then try again.

I have evaporust. Il try it!

Boolit Master
    I used a pencil torch and liquid wrench to pull several broken action screws form Spanish mauser(actions were wrapped to prevent issues with heat treat and very low flame), barreled actions wouldn't fit in the oven. With a set of extractors and left hand drill bits all came out with no damage. I'd say bake it and soak it, may take more than once so pick up a cheap toaster oven. Use the left handed bit first before the easy out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a full cylinder by chance? I saw a repro for an original but its for .44 cal. Mine is a navy .36.
    Contact Dixie Gun Works

Boolit Master
    I would caution against the using the Evaporust as it will remove blueing if left in contact with the metal for a length of time. I'm talking hours here.
    Dixie Gun Works is showing replacement cylinders available.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master

Caution a lot of the old nipples were case hardened, they will be brittle and you will need carbide tooling if you want to drill them out. Expect to break a wrench before you are done. I make my own wrenches from small 1/4 drive sockets and use a socket wrench to apply torque.

Boolit Master
    find a machine shop that has a edm machine. that is the easy way to get it out.

Boolit Grand Master

Another help in loosening stuck screws is to make a clay dam around area and penetrating oil in it then on aolid surface use a punch if needed to get into it flat and with a small ball peen lightly tap on it for a few minutes the vibration will work oils in and loosen threads both. Im not a big fan of easy outs on this parts they tend to expand the part out tighter into the threads.
    The edm works well and you don't need to burn the whole nipple out just a hex thru the center for a Allen wrench. The left hand drills will do a good job if you have a reversible drill, they work even better when slightly dull. Using the drills be prepared when the thread backs out it will be all at once and fast. We did the edm on broken bolts at work burning a hex into them the full length of the allen wrenches short leg to the start of the bend. Between the high frequency die electric fluids and electric arcs the screws were easily removed. The drawback is Going to a shop with an edm and them doing it may be expensive as your tying up a man and machine. The plus is the edm dosnt care how hard the part is, how round or true the hole is or how deep it is.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i would say, i resemble your father... go easy on him... lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

In Remembrance

Kroil, heat, cool, and re-heat, and an easy-out will eventually win out. I had broken two easy outs before I got all of the nipples from my original 1858 Remington Army revolver. New nipples are worth all the hassle--go for it!

Boolit Master

Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Czech_too View Post
    I would caution against the using the Evaporust as it will remove blueing if left in contact with the metal for a length of time. I'm talking hours here.
    Dixie Gun Works is showing replacement cylinders available.
    I only saw one for .44cal. I emailed them hopefully they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    Kroil, heat, cool, and re-heat, and an easy-out will eventually win out. I had broken two easy outs before I got all of the nipples from my original 1858 Remington Army revolver. New nipples are worth all the hassle--go for it!
    IM trying, I still didnt get my tool to remove the nipples but I hope I get it soon.

Banned
    This is a good reminder to all of us ---NEVER FORGET TO PUT ANTISEZE ON YOUR NIPPLES!!!!!

Dixie doesnt have any repro's that fit.

Boolit Grand Master

Kev18 plug off the nipple holes on the cylinder with round tooth picks nice and tight stand upright and fill cylinders / chambers with kroil and let soak in a pan to catch any seepage. This will allow overnight soaks and working in between. Soak for awhile drain and tap on the nipples lightly for a few minutes then refill soak and repeat for a couple days. Then try your wrench. Of you must drill them then if you have a long enough drill come thru with a right hand from chamber end ad it may push the nipple out unthreading it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Soak it a couple days in 5/50 acetone and ATF.
    The get an easy out of the correct size and try it.
    Go gently, you don't want to break off the easy out (as bad as a broken tap).

If it still doesn't want to come out, maybe put it in the oven @ ~200 F for a hour, then dunk in the ATF/acetone mixture.
    Another thought is to soak it in Evaporust for a day or so, then back into the 50/50 for a day then try again.
    Typo... The acetone / ATF should be 50 / 50 not 5 /50
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

A left hand drill bit set is a very handy thing to have. Especially for guys that work with firearms. Too bad so many hardware stores have never heard of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast