RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling guns and other stuff locally

Boolit Master

Selling guns and other stuff locally

I just want to rant a little. First off, a little background. Since I was a kid, I have been what I would call a "wheeler dealer". I don't really buy things to just turn a profit, rather I buy things that I like, but they have to be at a good price. When I see something new, I often have to sell other merchandise to buy the new thing. My wife thinks this is totally foreign as she didn't grow up this way but I sure did.
    Anyway on to my rant. It seems that people are more and more dishonest or downright lie in their dealings. The last few vehicles I sold on craigslist were a total disaster. Several people wasting my time by saying they are coming over at a certain time and never show up or even call. Others wanting to trade a broken air compressor or other junk. Most ask for tons of pictures and never heard from again.

Local gun deals are just as bad. People say they will buy a gun and want to meet in a few days. Never heard from him again. Others wanting to trade a rusted out muzzle loader for a nice S&W.

Im just tired of mainly the younger generation wasting my time. Older people do it to but not nearly as much as the youth. The internet has made "wheeling and dealing " a lot less fun. This site is the only place where there seems to be respect left between buyer and seller.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

I feel your pain as a fellow wheeler dealer ; had a guy work overtime to include a old Remington 760 pump with bad rust and a bulge in the barrel and some homemade drilling and tapping that went into the receiver this summer- pushed it hard to the point of ruining a whole deal.
    I sell locally, tools knives eggs dogs wood the occasional rifle, trade swap whatever and the junk people can offer gets old- as do the hold it for me I’ll take it guys who never show up; but I still love the good haggling and lot sweetening , selling a littler of coon dog pups from a champion father proved to be the worst- a flat bed truck worth of rusted bent used T posts and a trolling motor were to of the more interesting things offered, but what took the cake is a man who told me he’d pay the balance on a pup already sold via a deposit- said no sir that ones been sold to a young boy- he said I’ll pay double you can him it died or ran away- trying to steal a puppy from a boy; well my temper went into the ozone on that one.
    You are also correct in that every online deal or face to face with members here has been flawless and I’ve made some good friends and got a poke of good gear!

When you advertise the item for sale, state in larger print, "NO TRADES " and set your price and state the "PRICE IS FIRM". That will weed out a good percentage of the tire kickers that will waste your time.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had similar experiences using Craigslist. It just seems to attract those kind of folks. I also get a lot of scam calls immediately after posting an ad on there.

I too have had nothing but good results buying, selling and trading on this forum. When I have occasionally had a problem, the seller always made it right.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    On local sales if someone says "I'll take it in a few days", I let them know that I won't hold it for them, If someone else shows with the money, it's gone.
    Saying Firm on the price won't stop low-ball offers either online or in person, I had a handgun for sale at a local gunshow at a fair price (checked what they were selling for) someone walks up and asked to see it, told him the price and said I was firm, he low-balled me, when I asked him if he knew the meaning of firm he just looked at me with a deer in the headlights look.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Flea Market mentality I call it. They want to buy something for nothing - ten cents on the dollar folk. Some folks though will let stuff go for practically nothing. Too much of that out there NOT to at least TRY to negotiate - unless it is marked "Firm", which should stand for - negotiation is useless.

Sell stuff, best you can, within the community of purchasers that know its value and appreciate the opportunity. This is especially true in all things shooting, hunting, camping, etc.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When I list something and get a call, I'll tell them that several other people are also interested, and it's first come, first served, money talks, BS walks, and that I won't hold an item for anyone. I also tell hagglers there are enough people interested I'm sticking by my price. That seems to help get them off the pot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Just like anything else in the world gotta stand your ground and say no when applicable. Most of the people I've dealt with on Letgo, Craigslist or Armslist have been fine. If anything I have a hard time getting ahold of some of them but it gets me good deals because most aren't persistent enough to close it.

Moderator Emeritus

I have sold cars and other things on Craigslist as well as Facebook groups.

My own rules for Craigslist and other online selling pages (not including Castboolits or Gunshows).

If I list something, I only allow the seller a couple strikes...and then they are OUT of consideration.

1. If they offer a price before coming to see the item in person,
    STRIKE ONE !

2. If they ask about trade fodder in a PUSHY way (or a desperate way), which basically means they don't have the money to buy it,
    STRIKE TWO !

3. When they are "in person" looking at the item and ask for my bottom dollar, without making a hard offer first,
    STRIKE THREE !

The Exception:
    Now I do enjoy "wheeling and dealing", and if a person is entertaining me, even if they are making STRIKES, I will keep them in the game...But once I'm insulted, they are OUT !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

I "hear" you rant, and agree wholeheartedly. I also wholeheartedly 101% agree with your comment, "The internet has made 'wheeling and dealing' a lot less fun. This site is the only place where there seems to be respect left between buyer and seller."
    I think of most as compared to the most beautifully maintained lawn which -- despite stellar care -- will have the occasional weed or two. The Moderators -- all volunteers working out of love of the site -- keep the grass here beautiful!
    To buying/selling, a really huge trend in my locale is folks not buying items for themselves, or better put for their own use/enjoyment -- but, instead, for their resale in flea markets, 2nd-hand stores, and similar they maintain. Sadly, I have had items I just got tired of looking at, and passed them on to such sellers, even knowing this.
    geo

Yes, people in general have slid away from .....a man’s as good as his word.

I have some items that I considered selling on Craig's list but decided I just didn't want to make appointments for a bunch of strangers to come to my garage. Decided a garage sale I was prepared for made more sense. Have taken some items to flea market to see if a vendor might be interested. I expect a low ball offer but don't expect I will have to take it. Do expect will have to leave some room for the vendor to make a profit. Those that think that profit should be 75% (paying me 25% of value) are mistaken.

I have found the bit of casting sales I do through here to be entirely satisfactory. Debating if I want to shut down S&S offer to sell lead free alloy and try selling on eBay where there is possibly a larger market but not at all because I don't find this forum a good place to do business when I decide I want to.

If I think the price an item is offered at is too high I will offer near the max price I will pay. Someone can say they are "firm" in the price, I figure they should have the opportunity to decline what I am willing to pay them right now. They want $125 and I am willing to give them at most $100 then it is up to them if they want my $100 or want to wait for their firm price. Not an insult, and I certainly won't be angry or upset if they decline. Just a "thanks for your time, sorry we couldn't work something out" moment. If they are offended by my offer I'm going to figure they need to get over it. I won't run down the item to justify the price, other than if something is broken and I think the repair is a factor in how I am valuing the item. If however the item is worth more by any significant amount than the "firm" asking price I see no reason to make a lower offer, just pay the man what he is asking. Maybe some extra checking to make sure it isn't priced to compensate for some unobvious wear or damage.

One reason I didn't breed our dog was I didn't want to deal with finding good homes, or deal with finding out I sold to someone that I shouldn't have. Standard Schnauzers are strong willed, energetic dogs, that really need human contact. After 700 years of breeding as a farm dog you have to figure you want to conform yourself to that breeding, not expect them to suddenly become a different animal because it is what you want. Hunting dogs are much the same, they "know" they have a purpose if you won't engage in activities or at least a life style that integrates with that breeding and purpose it is asking for problems. You want a bunny dog you better figure they need to run even if you never hunt bunnies with them they still need that level of activity.

As to the man who asked to rip off the puppy already sold to a kid, low doesn't begin to cover it.

My pet peeve is folks that are selling junk, I guess if they were offering it in trade for my stuff I would feel the same way but man when I arrange to purchase a specific rifle, the price offered is reasonable for the item in good condition then I drive all the way to a gun show, pay admission, and the guy wants price of "good or better" for a ML with the stock recoil cracked and repaired and a bore that isn't all that good... I leave with my money and a set of frosty McNuggets. Bought elsewhere. Wasn't shy about letting them know that either.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    There is a gradual deterioration of good manners in our society. Let's get honest guys- we've seen it here. The benefit of this place is that people who actively participate in this forum do so in good faith. We (almost) all want this to be a safe, sane gathering place to converse and interact with others.
    Conversely, in the real world I can't trust you. I have learned over time that too many people- not you, of course- are trying to scam me. historicfirearms, you said,"It seems that people are more and more dishonest or downright lie in their dealings." Too often, this is the belief that both sides of a private sale have at the beginning of negotiations. I too am going through this as I am in the process of "trying" to buy a 1st vehicle for a grandchild. I've looked at 13 cars in 3 weeks- from Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and AutoTrader- and NOT 1 PERSON HAS BEEN TRUTHFUL IN THEIR DESCRIPTION OF THE CAR!!! I'm not talking about little things like a rock chip in the windshield, I'm talking about, for instance,
    A. "No, you can't test drive the car- the clutch is completely gone." Maybe that should have been in the ad?
    B. Why didn't you tell me the passenger side of the car is destroyed from a traffic accident? "I didn't think it was a big deal."
    C. (My personal favorite loser) WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT THE ENGINE WAS BLOWN UP AND YOU HAVE STARTED PARTING OUT THE CAR? YOU'RE ASKING HIGH BLUE BOOK FOR A DISMANTLED VEHICLE!!! "It's worth high Blue Book because the parts that are still there are in pretty good shape."

Pretty hard not to go into a private deal with skepticism and mistrust.

Boolit Master
    It’s all in how you handle it. I don’t promise anything to anybody. First with the cash gets it. I’ll send a few pictures but that’s it. And I don’t negotiate and I put that in the ad.
    If you don’t like my firm price then don’t make me an offer and waste both of our time.
    Good manners go each way. I can’t tell you the number of times people get mad at me because I won’t lower my price.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

It’s interesting how terms have different meaning in different areas. Around where I grew up, “wheeler dealer” had a more negative connotation, and I met plenty who fit the description. I’ve seen hard-nosed wheeler dealers take advantage of people before, and I hate it.

Haggling price seems to really be a cultural thing. I didn’t grow up that way, and really don’t care for it. I also realize that when value is subjective, it’s the only way, and most of the world haggles daily and enjoys it.

Boolit Master

I don’t buy and sell very much at all, but I bought something recently that gave me a surprise. I drove a couple hours to meet a guy who had something I wanted to buy.

We planned the trip so we could eat at a favorite restaurant, and visit some friends in the area that we hadn’t seen in a long time. I met the guy, looked at the gear (which was easily worth more than he was asking), told him I liked it and wouldn’t even haggle on price.

He chuckled and said, “Well, then let me make you a deal”, and knocked $50 off the price! I was standing there with cash in my hand and a dumbfounded look on my face. I’d never seen that kind of haggling before! I think he wanted to haggle so much that he haggled down his own price, or maybe he was prepared to be low-balled and gave me a good deal because I didn’t.

Boolit Master
    I don't enjoy buying or selling. But I don't get emotionally attached to "stuff" so I buy and sell to change and try different cars,bikes,guns,guitars etc...

I'm trying to ignore those types and incidents. Yeah I got burned buying a van from a white collar "wheeler dealer" last summer...but he burned his name. This is a small country where I live. I know people. I gave him a choice of a refund or spread word.

Gun trades I do 99% with a longtime local dealer and/or a handful of friends. I try to avoid idiots and bad people.

I also use my real name in the Internet.

Boolit Buddy
    I will say the flip side of it is that you have some seller you can't ever reach and thinks their stuff is made of gold. I'm not paying you $500 for some rust but I'll be fair as a buyer. I've even bought guns off a friend for way below market and told them that they were. They took the money anyways but I was straight with em on it.

Good deals are a matter of patience and need. You'll find people at times who just want to cut weight and that's when you'll get a good deal. Like how I have an Atlas Lathe sitting in the back of my Volvo I could flip for 2X what I bought it for easily.

Just had package arrive this morning from an item I bought in the S&S. Exactly as I expected it to be and more. Which, seems to be the standard of the membership. I'll soon be a member here for 14 years. I've only had one experience that's kind of stuck in my craw. It wasn't the amount of money ($25 shipped) but more or less a matter of what I feel was a less than accurate description of the item I bought. Oh there was a couple of blurry cellphone photos the seller sent. But Brothers if it was intentional, he sure knew how to make sure and not get any of the bad stuff in the photos. His description was "It's in great shape!". I'm surprised it functions at all. I figured oh well, spare parts if nothing else in an emergency.

As for locally, we have a few call in radio shows in the morning and I occasionally would listen in. Ran into a few pretty fair deals on a gun or two. And, spoke to a few scoundrels as well. One I remember speaking with was a fine fella. He'd offered up a nice rifle and I was interested. I called a little later in the day and he'd changed his mind. We had a fine talk and I'm sure he'd fit in fine with this crew. He told me he no more than got the off the phone offering the rifle for sale and got a call and the guy said he'd be right there within 5 minutes and was. Three younger guys pulled up in a pickup and got out and he brought the rifle out for them to inspect. He told me the first one to handle it looked it over real serious like and then handed it to his cohort. Suddenly his cohort started picking the gun apart and offered him half of what he was asking. The old feller said he just took it back and said, well I'll be darned, I noticed that but didn't think it hurt the gun's value that bad. Ya' know feller's, I feel kind'a bad about even offering this thing for sale to anyone in the shape it's in now that you've pointed it out to me. I'm just gonna hold onto it. About that time the crew realized the 'game' wasn't working and started upping their offer. He stood fast and told them no, no, no. No way now he'd sell it. They tried again. He told them just a minute, I do have another gun you may be interested in. He took the rifle back in and stepped back out with a 12 Ga. pump. Then the short and to the point lecture began. He told them boys, Lookie here I know good and well what that gun is worth and so do you. Yet, you pull up here and try to play me for an old fool? Double teamed me at that! Now, I said the price over the radio when I said it was for sale. Did I say I'd haggle or come down on it? Nawww I didn't. Now here's the other deal. GIT! And you better make it quick. Insult me like that on my own property! I said GIT! He said it was all he could do not to laugh at em' trying to get back in the truck and down the road.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast