Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed for log cabin chinking/caulking PLEASE.

Help needed for log cabin chinking/caulking PLEASE.

Anyone know of any material I can use? I did alot of research and I came up with a few options, each has there pros and cons.

Best practical option and period correct: Oakum. You lay it inbetween logs and forget about it. Only thing is... Its 40$ for a box of 10, 30inch strips. WAY to much for a small log cabin.

Mortar: Easy but id need to get water there some how and mix it right away. Not very good looking either.

Period correct chinking: Mud,sand,ash..etc. takes forever to make and washes away.

Window caulking expanding foam: great and easy. Except its butt ugly. Not a fan.

So does anyone have any other suggestions?

Super Moderator

Sashco makes a product called Log Jam, but I'm not really sure how well it would work on logs that aren't de-barked.

http://www.sashco.com/log-home/wood-...-jam-chinking/

Many use moss covered with strips of wood.

Boolit Master
    I've used the small foam rods between the logs then an elastic chinking material called Perma-Chink. Apply it over the foam bats. I believe that your unpeeled logs are going to be a problem as the logs dry. The bark will slip and take any chinking with it. The only way I've seen people do it on the cheap with bark on is with grass / moss and clay. Seemed very labour intensive and somewhat temporary as the clay shrunk and fell out over a year or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Don't know if it would work but I sealed a bunch of drafts out with spray foam. Its easy to use and works.
    jim

You can use regular insulation and strips of wood on both sides like they do with moss, if money for insulation isn't an issue but getting moss is in your area. For that matter you could do the same thing with strips cut from memory foam pads for a bed top if you happened to have access to a free supply.

If its looks you're after go with the mud/moss option...but I can pretty much guarantee that if the pioneers had access to spray foam they would have used it for its ease of use, filling capabilities, and warmth....they wouldn't have cared if its butt-ugly or not....not when its -20* outside with the wind blowing.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I know spray foam is great but its ugly. Atleast if it would be brown or something. Not yellow..

I might try with wood strips. Its because not every log has the same space in-between but il figure something out. thanks!

How are you finishing the walls inside...leaving it as wood I'm assuming...maybe pack weather stripping foam in from the outside, give it a little spritz of the spray in foam from the inside...then another layer of weather stripping foam on the inside (kinda like a foam sandwich)....you'd have the look of foam chinking outside...but the added insulating property of the spray foam between the logs.

just thinking out-loud.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    How are you finishing the walls inside...leaving it as wood I'm assuming...maybe pack weather stripping foam in from the outside, give it a little spritz of the spray in foam from the inside...then another layer of weather stripping foam on the inside (kinda like a foam sandwich)....you'd have the look of foam chinking outside...but the added insulating property of the spray foam between the logs.

just thinking out-loud.

redhawk
    What do you mean weather stripping foam? The only thing I thought of was pink insulating stuff in houses.

Super Moderator

I think he might be referring to foam backer rod.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I think he might be referring to foam backer rod.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    That could work. But then again its foam. Another cheap alternative I guess.

I would like to use strips of wood to cover up whatever material I use. Thing is... How will I secure them? No electricity or compressor is going there. Im in the back of a swamp on top of a mountain. I bring everything by hand. No vehicles.

Thanx ShooterAZ for filling in my inarticulate descriptions....you showed exactly what I was thinking....I kinda like lefty_o's landscape foam idea...its dark and wouldn't look out of place on a cabin.

I'll shut-up now...and go away...hahaha

redhawk

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Thanx ShooterAZ for filling in my inarticulate descriptions....you showed exactly what I was thinking....I kinda like lefty_o's landscape foam idea...its dark and wouldn't look out of place on a cabin.

I'll shut-up now...and go away...hahaha

redhawk
    Me too... Its not a bad idea. Only to find some over here.

Also, does anyone know the life span of oakum? Good for life?

Boolit Master
    If oakum doesn't last forever, it lasts a loooong time! As for the wooden chinking strips - brad's work well, but make sure to account for shrinking as the logs move and the strips dry, otherwise they will split and / or they will walk out of the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    If oakum doesn't last forever, it lasts a loooong time! As for the wooden chinking strips - brad's work well, but make sure to account for shrinking as the logs move and the strips dry, otherwise they will split and / or they will walk out of the cracks.

What's Brad's?
    I calculated the cost. It would take me around 15 boxes of oakum. So almost 700$. I'm far from rich. Far from spending that much on a cabin in the woods. I really want that stuff tho. You just wedge it in. And leave it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    What's Brad's?
    I calculated the cost. It would take me around 15 boxes of oakum. So almost 700$. I'm far from rich. Far from spending that much on a cabin in the woods. I really want that stuff tho. You just wedge it in. And leave it.
    Yes, wedge it and leave it. It shouldn't be nearly that expensive!! I use this stuff by the truck load at work and pay little. It's made by an Amish client who soaks hemp rope in tar. I can pm you who does that. Brad's = brads=small nails. Sorry, auto correct

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast