Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed for log cabin chinking/caulking PLEASE.

Secure your strips of wood the old fashioned way, a hammer and nails. Use saplings like cottonwoods or poplar and split them lenghwise and nail them over the gap.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I would like to use strips of wood to cover up whatever material I use. Thing is... How will I secure them? No electricity or compressor is going there. Im in the back of a swamp on top of a mountain. I bring everything by hand. No vehicles.

This was going to my suggestion. I would say either foam backer rod or spray foam and then the whole works covered with half or quarter round sapling or limb strips tacked into place. They may walk after a year or 2, but just bump 'em back into place. A log cabin is a tinker's dream. You will find stuff to do and improve all the time with them, and I don't mean that in a bad way. They lend themselves to innovation and improvement.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Just watched townsend channel on YouTube. They built a period correct cabin an explained the reason behind the choices. My give you some ideas!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Old timers used horsehair and sourdough. Dries like cement. Some still around after a century or better. Flour is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Just a thought on the water front, drag some propane up there and a turkey fryer/pot or build a fire. You've got snow it seems so melt some water up.

Boolit Master
    I really don’t think you want to invest in good chinking if you aren’t gonna skin those logs. The best chinking in the world won’t keep the bark from separating from the logs. Bugs love to live under the bark too.

But I’ve never built one myself, so take my thoughts for what they are, just what I’ve a cumulated over time.

USMC 77, USRA 79

too late now to worry about something like permachink... soon as you get heat to them logs the bark is going to pull away and destroy your chinking... a moss/woodstrip combo would work, or spray foam and then wood strip nailed in to cover... will hold for quite a while, but at some point, those logs will peel. took about 5 years for mine..be sure to give pleanty of roof overhang... the bark will last longer if its not wet/dry all the time.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Cans of brown or tan spray paint will cover up the yellow of spray foam. ( Spray foam & Black spray paint works on my old rusty Blazer, anyhow. )

Or, you can just use some regular paint & a brush.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to do!~
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Since you are by a swamp, sink a hole to get water, and mix mortar. We used this method at a backwoods cabin I chinked, and it worked. Depending on how fast your water level rises in a hole, it can take a few days to finish the job.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I would suggest splitting firewood down till it would wedge in. Tack in place. Go inside and give the crack a squirt of expanding foam. While the foam is still wet put a second wedge in from the inside. Tack in place.

Just a thought.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Cut fiberglass insulation (the pink stuff) into strips, stuff into cracks like chinking. Then take a bunch of saplings and split lengthwise into quarters and nail these over the cracks. Quick and cheap. And don't look too bad.

Since you didn't debark the logs, I would suggest wide overhangs to keep the bark from soaking up the rain, thereby causing moisture problems and rot. Nice job though, I like the traditional look.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

You need to two step it ..temporary until the bark separates ..then serious chinking ..though a good idea the stuff in foam ..I'm not sure rodents won't chew the foam rope type to pieces ..so I would take newspaper and roll/twist into heavy chink like rope from the outside ..go to inside and spray foam it with the newspaper "rope" containing the application to the space between the logs ..then repeat outside but first removing whatever paper will freely strip out of the space that now has hardened foam on the other side
    with this
    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-TITEF...5426667&sr=8-4

Bear

Boolit Grand Master

If rodents are an issue use steel wool twisted into a loose rope with the foam. I would consider removing the bark where possible. The suggestion of split saplings and brads or finish nails to finish sounds good.

Stripping the bark is a must to prevent rot and bugs.

The suggestion for rolled up newspaper is a good idea, corrugated cardboard would do well too I think.

Boolit Grand Master
    High strength mortar mix. Pack it by hand and smooth it to contour of each seam. Tact hardware cloth in the crack and work the mortar into it as an anchor.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I have the only mice and packrats that do this, but anything paper will be packed off and shredded in a nest in short order in my part of the world. Foam doesn't seem much better if it's not covered. Steel wool works pretty well, as does tinfoil - but that'll get pricey also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    too late now to worry about something like permachink... soon as you get heat to them logs the bark is going to pull away and destroy your chinking... a moss/woodstrip combo would work, or spray foam and then wood strip nailed in to cover... will hold for quite a while, but at some point, those logs will peel. took about 5 years for mine..be sure to give pleanty of roof overhang... the bark will last longer if its not wet/dry all the time.
    This ^^^^^^

But.........Spray foam can hold moisture. Permachink will with stand temperature swings from +100* to -60*. But.... You need to get the bark off as Markopolo says. Use a ice chipper to peal the bark.
    Backer rod with a wood strip cover will work. when the bark comes off, then use Permachink.

I think il jsut take pink insulation with a strip of wood. My only issue is how am i going to get a hammer in between logs to nail them?

Boolit Master
    Try a heavy duty stapler, some of them also shoot brads. They make them that use a fuel cartridge.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    Try a heavy duty stapler, some of them also shoot brads. They make them that use a fuel cartridge.
    I dont know, il see my options. Its never simple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast