Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered My First MiHec Mold!

Ordered My First MiHec Mold!

Ordered the .356-125 FRN flat base, no lube groove, 8 cavity aluminum mold last night. Already tracks as being picked up by DHL. Now *that's* fast shipping! MP had that mold on sale for ~73 bucks, right up until the time that I actually ordered the mold. : / It took me that long to convince the wife that I *really* wanted this mold for Christmas. Ah well, no big deal, as I really don't mind supporting a guy that makes high quality products for the shooting sports.

I've been shopping for a new 9mm mold for several months now. I kept waffling back and forth between the MP mold I ordered, and a very similar design from Accurate. Two primary differences: 1. The Accurate mold has a bevel base, which I love because I load up a minimum of 1k rounds of 9mm each week, and the bevel base makes starting the boolit into the case so much easier. 2. The Accurate mold came with a max of five cavities.

Since I cast so many 9mm per week, I decided it was better to be casting three more boolits per throw than the convenience of the bevel base, so the MP mold won out in the end.

I ordered the .356 diameter version, as that diameter is listed as being what it throws with wheel weights. I use a tin rich alloy that usually throws between two and three thou more than what manufacturers list as what the mold throws with wheel weights. So I'm expecting this mold to throw .001 to .002 over the published .356. Add PC over the top, and it might get me to .358 (which is what I use in all three of my 9mm's) without having to size the boolits. And I can always reduce the tin a bit to bring the as-cast diameter down a bit, too.

I actually wanted the truncated cone version of this boolit, but it's out of stock, and Christmas is in 23 days... Not that I'm counting. So the LRN won out.

After reading about how highly regarded MP molds are, I'm very excited.

Sorry for the useless post, but you guys are the only ones I can talk about this with, as my wife just gives me a bored look every time I talk to her about boolit casting.

You guys that have bought MP/MiHec molds... how long does DHL usually take to get the molds to you? Not that I'm anxious to get it or anything...
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

I've got 2 of his molds in brass and am on a GB for a 3rd right now. The bullets fall out easy and those molds make me look like I know what I'm doing. You love it.

Boolit Grand Master
    You will never go wrong getting a mold from Miha @MP
    some of the best molds being made today a top pick
    first rate business and machinist extraordinaire customer service second to none
    DHL however I will hold comment
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It usually takes 9-10 days shipping for me. Enjoy the mold, his molds are a pleasure to cast with.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    My luck was similar on shipping. I ordered one on a Friday and got it the next Friday. The last mold was ordered on a Monday and it showed up Friday afternoon. That was last month.

I had read all of the DHL horror stories and was expecting the molds to take a few weeks. I also didn't believe the expected delivery date, but DHL told the truth.

The molds are very very nice and cast accurate bullets. I followed advice from the forum about heat cycling, but I'm not positive it makes too much difference. One thing that was a fact for me was I didn't get a lot of good bullets until the 3rd casting session. I knew the way the mold "acted" on my 3rd session that I was going to have perfect bullets. These were both 640 style brass molds.

Boolit Master

At least you only bought one. When there is a second MP mold in the area, they begin to rapidly multiply in short order. Welcome to the sickness.

MiHec has a great marketing program now. I went to his new web sight to pay for a group buy mold and threw another in the cart to boot. I justified it by convincing myself I was saving shipping on the second mold, lol.
    Last edited by Greg S; 12-03-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    At least you only bought one. When there is a second MP mold in the area, they begin to rapidly multiply in short order.
    I can confirm the above.

Miha's Black Friday campaign said "until saturday" ,based on that I wasn't sure if saturday was included or not... and ordered a mold on friday. I definitely don't NEED that mold but these molds are so nice to cast with, I seem to buy them for the joy of casting alone.

Thanks for the replies, Gents.

The mold just left Germany early this morning.

I had actually been planning on getting two molds during his sale, but was a bit slow to pull the trigger and the prices went back up before I ordered. But even his full prices are extremely reasonable when compared to the other "good stuff" mold makers.

As I mentioned, it's an aluminum mold, not brass. So I was thinking of giving it three 30 minute, 375F cycles through the toaster oven (using all four heating elements, with the convection fan for even heating... don't want to warp a brand new aluminum mold) before casting with it. Sound about right?
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    You can if you like. All of my aluminum molds are Accurate Molds and I only cleaned them well and started casting. Similar to the MP brass molds, they took a couple sessions before they started dropping lots of perfect bullets. Maybe heat cycling would have helped, maybe not.

Seems most molds I've purchased like a couple sessions before lots of perfect bullets start raining (even my steel BPCR bullet molds). Using a good hot plate really helps, assuming the temp setting/rheostat isn't a lying SOB....

Boolit Master
    Clean is good. I use brakekleen, then hot water & Fairy to wash brakekleen residue.

I think of mold heat cycling as a running-in period for a car. Some find it makes sense,some don't.

There is a good writeup on their website about using their molds.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    There is a good writeup on their website about using their molds.
    Yes,here you go , Sir Bird: https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/...-point-moulds/

I got the 358429 "Black Friday mold" today. Here are my first bullets after four heat cycles, mold was on the plate ~30 min each time,maybe a tad more for cooling.

I'm watching TV now after casting ~50 bullets. Letting the mold cool down again. I'll cast maybe 100 next, the a break again and cast 200,most probably those 200 are raining out the mold.

Good luck with your mold,Sir Bird.

Miha makes such an incredible 'work of art' that my casts even come out of the mould already PC'd...
    Just holding his work in your hand makes you giggle and drool...
    His cast shoot faster & never miss the 'X ring'...

"Well . . . maybe I exaggerate a wee-lil-bit... ...but I love his moulds!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Oh man, as if I wasn't excited enough, and then you guys post pictures!

@Petander, thank you.. both for the link, and also for your (once again) excellent photography. Those boolits look beautiful. Sir Bird gives it the "head crest of approval."

@OS OK That's a beautiful bucket 'o joy you have there. Do I see Smoke's clear PC on a few there? If so, how do you like it? I've heard that it's one of his thinner coating powders, and I am looking to try and get the thinnest PC coat I can.

You guys are killin' me! And I'm not saying that like it's a *bad* thing.

Edit: Mold just left Cincinnati! DHL estimates this Monday for delivery, but if it's able to hit Las Vegas by tomorrow, there's a good chance I'll see it Friday.

Yet Another Edit: One thing I forgot to ask... will Lee handles work with his molds?
    Last edited by Phlier; 12-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Yes it is the clear gloss coat but I got it from a PC contractor up here in the hills, it's not from Smoke but...his stuff is the same.
    I think the clear does coat the thinnest and most even of all the colors. Though colors will apply evenly too if you shake or tap off all the excess PC on the cast. One thing about the clear is that it prolly covers the best of all the colored PC's I've used & you can tell instantly if it's covered well, this is clear gloss in the picture below...

These are clear coated and even if the coating is so thin, I've not had any leading of my barrels...at standard velocities for pistols that is...

Copper and Brass coat very thin also...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

@OS OK Thank you very much! Those boolits look way too good to shoot! Now I can't decide between clear, brass, or copper. Might have to order a sample pack of all of 'em from Smoke.

I'd been using Eastwood and Harbor Freight PC up until just recently when I got my first Smoke's powder in Flame Red. Got a full pound of it, but it's going quick... I figure I'll get about 10k rounds of 124 gr 9mm's out of that pound, and I'm at about 8k rounds into it right now.

After using Eastwood and HF powders for a couple years, I thought I was getting pretty good results. Then I got Smokes powder. What an eye opener. Hadn't been on the forums for a while, but seeing the results I get/got with Smokes, and seeing pics of what you guys are getting I realized much better results could be obtained.

New powder, a new oven, and getting caught up on two years worth of forum posts have resulted in much better looking and shooting PC boolits.

I've run a bit over one ton of alloy through my favorite 9mm mold, so I figure I could justify a new mold, what with all that money the old mold has saved me and all.

Really appreciate all the information, gents, thank you very much.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I just got some of the Translucent Copper from Smokes and for me one coat is blotchy. Second coat made it more copper but the bullets were too fat and sizing them mostly closed up the crimp groove. One coat gave full coverage but I was trying for a "copper" bullet. As I've seen others mention elsewhere, the Translucent Copper is mostly clear anyway.

The clear is very good stuff and for me is the easiest to coat. I have a habit of mixing a color I call bloody stool and clear is 1/3 of it (1 part clear, 1 part bacon grease, and 1 part red). I like how you can mix it and get some of the solid colors to be translucent.

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    FWIW, I just got some of the Translucent Copper from Smokes and for me one coat is blotchy. Second coat made it more copper but the bullets were too fat and sizing them mostly closed up the crimp groove. One coat gave full coverage but I was trying for a "copper" bullet. As I've seen others mention elsewhere, the Translucent Copper is mostly clear anyway.

The clear is very good stuff and for me is the easiest to coat. I have a habit of mixing a color I call bloody stool and clear is 1/3 of it (1 part clear, 1 part bacon grease, and 1 part red). I like how you can mix it and get some of the solid colors to be translucent.
    Thanks for that... I'll have to try a bit of mixing n matching.

Quite a few shipping companies have started using the United States Postal Service as their "Last mile" carrier... the one that actually handles the delivery of the shipment to the customer's door.

UPS handles this quite gracefully; their package tracking syncs and plays well with the USPS, and you're able to track the package after it changes hands from UPS to USPS very well.

Unfortunately, it appears that DHL hasn't gotten that part figured out. It now simply tracks as "forwarded for delivery." There's no way to track its progress through the USPS.

I now understand why a few of you guys aren't too happy with DHL.

Ah well... it gets here when it gets here. : /

The mold arrived yesterday! Ordered Sunday, arrived Friday. Wow, thanks Miha!

I couldn't stand the wait of heat cycling it through the toaster oven, so I just cleaned it up, lubed it, and started casting.

I did heat cycle it twice while casting... ran the 20 pound pot through it, then allowed it to cool down as everything re-melted. I ran the pot a second time, and started having perfect boolits fall out about half way through the second run.

One little interesting thing happened, though... As I was nearing the end of the first run through the pot, the sprue lead started sticking to the top of the sprue plate. It started as an intermittent problem, but has progressed to the point now where the sprue lead is welding itself to the top of the sprue plate with every throw. Well, *almost* every throw. The interesting thing is that this doesn't happen until the mold has reached the correct casting temperature. IMO, that's when the boolits stop looking shiny like mirrors, and are just *slightly* frosty, with perfect fill-out. You guys know the look I'm talking about. But yeah, the lead doesn't start to weld itself to the sprue plate until the mold itself has heated up to the correct casting sweet spot temperature.

Miha sent the mold with the plate perfectly adjusted, and it still is; it completely passes the light test (no light visible through the sprue plate to mold top interface when looking from the side at a powerful light source). The countersunk holes on the plate aren't completely smooth, but that isn't where the problem is anyway. The problem is that the lead is welding itself to the top (flat) part of the sprue plate. The plate is extremely well polished... just the slightest machining marks are still visible. The lead isn't forming a "rivet head" type situation from underneath, either; it cuts perfect boolit bases, with no lead left on the underside of the sprue plate that could form a "rivet head" preventing the sprue lead from being released.

I've tried cutting the sprue earlier and later, but sprue cooling time isn't the issue. I didn't want to cut the sprue so early that the base of the boolit smeared lead across the top of the mold, but I bet I came really close a time or two.

You can actually see the area on the sprue plate where the lead is welding itself. Maybe I'll post a picture of it later today.

I've been using graphite to prevent the sticking problem, but I gotta admit, it's a bit of a hassle to stop casting (losing the mold temperature sweet spot) long enough to put pencil lead on the problem areas of the plate.

I've searched this site (and others) for guys having the same issue, and have found a bunch of information on the problem. Unfortunately, none of those situations apply here. At least as far as I can tell, anyway.

I'm hoping this problem will eventually go away as the mold ages, but until then it's a bit of a bummer. If it doesn't go away, I think I'll buy a second sprue plate for the mold... if he offers them for sale separately from the mold.

On the bright side, the boolits this mold throws are fantastic! I can't wait to shoot them. IMO, this design is almost the perfect design for 9mm. If it had a bevel base, it *would* be the perfect 9mm boolit!

I keep a rag with a little 2 cycle oil on it when casting. When I start casting, with the cavities full, I will wipe the top of the mold, bottom and top of sprue plate. This will stop lead from sticking. I do this occasionally during the casting session and anytime I get lead on the top of the mold. Don’t use a lot of oil just enough so the rag feels a little wet.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast