Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Troy, MT anyone?

Troy, MT anyone?

Curious if we have any members in/near Troy, MT?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Wikisupi [sp] is in northwest Montana.
    Shaune509

Boolit Buddy
    Can you say asbestos? EPA superfund site. Turner Mtn ski area, Libby is about 14 miles to the west, even further is Yaak (home of the mountain man nearby) etc. etc. NO I don't live there but do have relatives. There are griz, wolves, elk and the whitetails have CWD. It is close to Missoula and Kalispell. Great place to visit but don't want to live there.

The view to the West: https://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/swfr...a&SenType=All;

The view to the East:https://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/swfr...a&SenType=All;

There are no road cams for Troy, but there may be some 'business' cams.
    Last edited by trebor44; 12-02-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added camera links.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Banned

I was up there for a while with the Army when they used to use Soldiers to fight fires. That would have been late Summer of 2000 if I recall. Beautiful place, I loved it.

Boolit Master

too many trees. can't see nuthin'.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Can you say asbestos? EPA superfund site. Turner Mtn ski area, Libby is about 14 miles to the west, even further is Yaak (home of the mountain man nearby) etc. etc. NO I don't live there but do have relatives. There are griz, wolves, elk and the whitetails have CWD. It is close to Missoula and Kalispell. Great place to visit but don't want to live there.

The view to the West: https://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/swfr...a&SenType=All;

The view to the East:https://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/swfr...a&SenType=All;

There are no road cams for Troy, but there may be some 'business' cams.
    Libby is the super fund site, not Troy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Libby is the super fund site, not Troy.
    Yep, should have rewritten that sentence to say what I meant. Lots of trees as stated, lots of trains passing through Troy, a couple of motels and one decent restaurant but Libby is the place to go for more eateries, lodging and shopping etc. even though it is the super fund site.

I'm familiar with the area....my dad lives there. That's why I was reaching out..... We may need to start getting him some assistance with daily living, so I thought I'd put a feeler out here to see how many (if any) members we have in the Troy area whose brains I might be able to pick at a bit.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

IIRC, there is quite a bit of checkerboard land up there. National forest alternating with private. Not unusual to have a Troy zip code and live 25 miles from town.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I'm familiar with the area....my dad lives there. That's why I was reaching out..... We may need to start getting him some assistance with daily living, so I thought I'd put a feeler out here to see how many (if any) members we have in the Troy area whose brains I might be able to pick at a bit.
    Well, I am probably the closest response so far. 18 miles up the Kootenai River from Troy (Libby area). But my brain is pretty slim pickens for what you are asking about. I will try to remember to ask around about assisted living.

Boolit Buddy
    When you do a google search for 'assisted living montana', the results are not very promising. The bigger communities (cities) are where they are found. Idaho is pretty much the same, unless you can afford private care and are in a place like the Wood River Valley (Ketchum, Sun Valley, Hailey area). Kalispell is the closest to Troy that even makes the list for facilities, so it would have to be an individual that would provide the care. Possibly, the Troy Ranger District or the City Hall might have some info on a care provider.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You might try contacting the Libby hospital, they may be able to recommend someone.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

You might try contacting the Libby hospital, they may be able to recommend someone.
    Thanks. We have an appointment for him today with an outfit that should provide some pretty comprehensive care, and hopefully will give him some 'case management' style assistance as well. He's a stubborn, tough old bird but it's getting tough for him.

Moderator Emeritus

Having looked for assisted living options in Salt Lake for my parents I was shocked to find them $2500-$3000 cheaper a month than places in Montana. If he is ready for assisted living it might be easier closer to you where you could regularly visit.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Having looked for assisted living options in Salt Lake for my parents I was shocked to find them $2500-$3000 cheaper a month than places in Montana. If he is ready for assisted living it might be easier closer to you where you could regularly visit.
    Oh believe me, we'd LOVE that.....did I mention he's stubborn?

Are you looking for "We may need to start getting him some assistance with daily living" as in somebody coming to the house to do a few chores and check up? Or a transition to a care center? The first has risks of theft but they are staying where they are comfortable. The second can be a tough sell to those who are happy where they are and "stubborn". There is a care center in Libby, I would want to be pretty far gone and out of options before getting put in there. That not being a judgement on Libby Care Center, just that I too am happy where I am and stubborn.
    There is also a Senior Center in Libby, I will stop by there in a day or two and see what advice they may have. I'm pretty sure they don't do long term care but they do a lot of senior activities, meals and support. There may be a similar organization in Troy. I actually have never thought about stopping in there although I suppose at 65 I do pass the age requirement.
    I will let you know what I find out and get you some contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    Are you looking for "We may need to start getting him some assistance with daily living" as in somebody coming to the house to do a few chores and check up? Or a transition to a care center? The first has risks of theft but they are staying where they are comfortable. The second can be a tough sell to those who are happy where they are and "stubborn". There is a care center in Libby, I would want to be pretty far gone and out of options before getting put in there. That not being a judgement on Libby Care Center, just that I too am happy where I am and stubborn.
    There is also a Senior Center in Libby, I will stop by there in a day or two and see what advice they may have. I'm pretty sure they don't do long term care but they do a lot of senior activities, meals and support. There may be a similar organization in Troy. I actually have never thought about stopping in there although I suppose at 65 I do pass the age requirement.
    I will let you know what I find out and get you some contact information.
    Thanks, Kootne! We're spit-balling right now, as it's just in the last couple weeks we've learned the extent of his decline. He's a sneaky ole' cuss, and had me and my brother both convinced he was gettin' along right as rain. We've tied in with a senior citizen center in Troy, and looks like we might be able to get him some hot meals through them. Also have reached out to some neighbors, who are very willing to check-in on him periodically. Brother is taking him to the Dr. today.....so we'll see what that brings. ?

Appreciate everyone's input here.....as expected, this crowd stands up!

This might be helpful if he doesn't or shouldn't drive. Depending on the day, he can get a ride around Troy, go to Libby and back, or Kalispell and back. Lot of the old folks make their medical appointments with these folks, especially in the winter if the roads are icy. He will just have to make sure appointments are scheduled so he can be done in time to make the return run that day. If he has cognitive decline I'm thinking he would need a responsible helper with him if using this method of travel, so as not to miss a "flight"
    https://www.facebook.com/Lincoln-Cou...6655452262291/

If he is getting some meals, and the neighbors will look in, don't try to force him to move. Much better for the person to decide for their self.
    My sister was going to do that to mom, but I told her to leave her alone until she decided to go on her own. She stayed in her home for another two and a half years before she admitted to herself she needed the move.
    She did have meals delivered a few times a week, and a part time housekeeper come help out once or twice a week. If you try to force someone, they get bitter, causing an unwanted divide between you.

Moderator Emeritus

If he is getting some meals, and the neighbors will look in, don't try to force him to move. Much better for the person to decide for their self.
    My sister was going to do that to mom, but I told her to leave her alone until she decided to go on her own. She stayed in her home for another two and a half years before she admitted to herself she needed the move.
    She did have meals delivered a few times a week, and a part time housekeeper come help out once or twice a week. If you try to force someone, they get bitter, causing an unwanted divide between you.
    This deserves to be read again.