Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer pocket problem

Boolit Master
    I have a rcbs pp swage but it didn't open the crimp quite enough so I made new tapered punches with the big end just a bit bigger which fixed the problem. I also use a Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer chucked in my mini lathe which quickly makes very nice uniform pockets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Don't know if this is the right place for this, so if not, put it where it belongs.
    Am reloading some once-fired GI -06 ammo for a chum. Primers all crimped in, so after resizing/de-capping, I ran them through an RCBS PP swager. On re-priming w/old Lee primer putter, some primers didn't want to go in - in fact, I ruined the Lee primer putter - put so much pressure on the lever that I stripped the threads that hold the case holder! On another, the primer wouldn't go in all the way,, and so the case was locked in the shell holder. Have it soaking in Kroil to kill the primer before knocking it out. By the way - miked the Tula primers, and they measured .2105 - the Alcans measured .2101/2. And the RCBS swage measured .205 - couldn't measure the top radius, just the shank. Did manage to prime (on the RCBS press) some, after using a PP reamer to clean up the PP's, but some gave problems still, whether Alcan or Tula. ***, Over?
    I find the RCBS along with other PP swagers to need a firm, positive crunch to accomplish
    Removing the crimp on many of the primer pockets.
    The crimp applied to the military primer can distort the pockets all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket distorting the walls of the pocket as well.
    Either another pass with the PP remover or use of a PP uniforming tool may be needed as well to salvage those cases.

C&H has the only primer pocket swage that works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onomrbil View Post
    C&H has the only primer pocket swage that works.
    I haven't used one it may be the best , I couldn't say , but it's certainly not the only one that works .

Boolit Buddy
    I have both of the RCBS swagers. The bench tool definitely works better but the one constant is you need to lube it or it just doesn't work very well, and for me, where most any lube is just fine for resizing brass, I find I really need a high quality lube like imperial for doing primer pockets. 2 passes is a definite plus as well, although lube makes a bigger difference than multiple passes.

Just my personal experience.

Boolit Master
    Primer pockets swagers are not designed to resize the entire primer pocket.
    They are only designed to iron out the crimp on the edge of the primer pocket.
    I have used the RCBS tool a lot and I find it works much better if you do 2 or 3 things.

1. Use case sizing lube on it. Especially on the radius that rolls the crimp back.
    2. Pulse the pressure on the tool 3 to 5 times that is give it a full stroke then relax the pressure and give it another full stroke multiple times. This helps iron the crimp out and eliminates the spring back of the brass.
    3. Chamfer the edge of the primer pocket to help cut away part of the crimp.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have not found any one step tool that reliably does a good job 100% every time . Gary
    This has been my experience too.

I have used several tools or methods over the years. I had a Lyman primer pocket reamer that worked well until it got dull. I now have a set of primer pocket reamers from Wilson that work well. I still own and occasionally use the RCBS set. I bought the Dillon tool and may be about the only guy ever to not care for it. I've used a knife blade. I have a carbide counter sink that I use more than anything.

It seems like there are often more than one issue with a crimped primer pocket. Tapered pockets, concave bottoms, the crimp ring itself, ect. I end up using a few different tools.

The bottom line is that a crimp can be a PITA.

Boolit Grand Master

I've done about 30,000 in one step with the Dillon Super Swage 600 without an issue except on 5.56 you can collapse the pocket from the inside if you over do it. Don't use mine much anymore since I have a couple of Dillon 1050. Maybe another 100,000 on them without issue.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Ive just used the shafer tool to remove mil crimps.

Boolit Bub
    Dillon Super Swage 600+mount mods, best solution for those that don't have swaging built into their presses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12