Inline FabricationLoad DataPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer pocket problem

Boolit Master

Question Primer pocket problem

Don't know if this is the right place for this, so if not, put it where it belongs.
    Am reloading some once-fired GI -06 ammo for a chum. Primers all crimped in, so after resizing/de-capping, I ran them through an RCBS PP swager. On re-priming w/old Lee primer putter, some primers didn't want to go in - in fact, I ruined the Lee primer putter - put so much pressure on the lever that I stripped the threads that hold the case holder! On another, the primer wouldn't go in all the way,, and so the case was locked in the shell holder. Have it soaking in Kroil to kill the primer before knocking it out. By the way - miked the Tula primers, and they measured .2105 - the Alcans measured .2101/2. And the RCBS swage measured .205 - couldn't measure the top radius, just the shank. Did manage to prime (on the RCBS press) some, after using a PP reamer to clean up the PP's, but some gave problems still, whether Alcan or Tula. ***, Over?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Sounds to me like the dimensions on your RCBS swager are off.

I process thousands of GI crimped .30'06 cases to load ammo for Garand classes, etc.

I use the Lee Universal decapper and then before swaging in the Dillion Autoswage 600, I chamfer the primer pocket just enough to remove the sharp wire edge to give displaced metal from the primer pocket to go when it is swaged. I adjust the swaging rod to form a distinct radius entrance to the primer pocket so that when primers are seated using the RCBS Posa-Prime, they go in smoothly, and seat firmly against the bottom of the primer pocket, with no visible deformation.

I DO NOT CARE FOR THE LEE PRIMING TOOL and junked all of mine years ago.

I cannot speak to the primers you are using, as I use only Winchester WLR primers in the Garand.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I never had much luck with the RCBS primer pocket swagger thing either.

I give them a couple of turns with that inside/outside de-burring tool that is about the size of you thumb.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

All primer crimps are not created equal. I actually like the RCBS tool better than the Dillon. But none of them seem to work perfectly every time. I usually use a carbide countersink in a drill.

I've had less trouble with 30-06 and 45ACP than with some others. 223 seems to give me the most trouble.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    All primer crimps are not created equal. I actually like the RCBS tool better than the Dillon. But none of them seem to work perfectly every time. I usually use a carbide countersink in a drill.

I've had less trouble with 30-06 and 45ACP than with some others. 223 seems to give me the most trouble.
    I have done thousands with the dillon ... But some times there is one that the primer does not go in

do you have a VLD chamfer tool to chamfer the inside of the necks .. try that

On the ones that won't prime try doing them again. Maybe adjust the swager a bit tighter.
    Try doing them once and turning a 1/4 turn and do them again.
    I have the Dillon and like it. It does my 223 cases just fine.
    I also use it when converting Berdan primed cases to boxer for my Mosin Nagant.
    I have a lot of brass Berdan primed cases. 440 of them.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

I usually use a carbide countersink in a drill.
    I've been doing this since I first encountered military primer crimps, around '90. Works quite well on all primer crimps (I reload a lot of HXP for my Garand which uses stake crimps and a bunch of LC for my 308 which uses annular crimps)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I used the RCBS on a few thousand 308 and 30/06 and am very glad I had no more to do
    It never felt like I had the right tool for the job , but it got it done . A little case lube helps.

Boolit Master
    GONRA has great results on any military brass (Large / Small primer) with the Heavy Duty Bench Mounted Primer Pocket Swage Tool.
    (Can't remember if mine is a Dillon or RCBS (?) ...

Banned
    The RCBS swagger does a great job IF you put case lube on the swagging button.

You may not be swaging the pocket deep enough

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    The RCBS swagger does a great job IF you put case lube on the swagging button.

You may not be swaging the pocket deep enough
    I am with this guy ^. I have to lube the button to swage easily and I use a big press (RCBS Ammomaster). I think you might have trouble with a smaller conventional press doing this.

Boolit Grand Master

Swagers suffer from brass spring back , some brass springs back more than others . Using a big heavy duty press also eliminates some of the spring back .

My method is to cut the crimp away with a crimp cutting tool , run them through the swage twice and then use a primer pocket uniforming tool on them to finish up .

I have not found any one step tool that reliably does a good job 100% every time .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    One thing I didn't see mentioned was about the primers. I have always been a fan of the Russian primers regardless of what's on the box (PMC, Wolf, or Tula). They have their own issues, but are very consistent. I've found they tend to be fat and the require a good crush into the pocket. The small rifle seem to want the most crush.

I'm not surprised they were tight (an understatement) in military brass. Not to dissuade you from using them for your specific purpose, but try a CCI or Federal primer and see if they don't make it easier. I agree with others that the Lee primer tools aren't the strongest especially doing what you are doing. You sometimes have to use what you have though.

They (Russian primer) are large enough to give slightly enlarged primer pockets a couple more firings before scrapping even. I've kept a few sleeves of different sizes for specific loads. I always considered that the Russian primers were one of the few things that were cheap, but good. I wish they were still available, but I have enough to get done what I want to get done I suppose.

Boolit Master

The Hornady primer pocket reamers will take the pockets to standard dimensions and are made of tool steel. They cut easily and leave a smooth finish.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

IMO, you should get a primer pocket go/no-go tool. It helps tremendously in setting up whatever primer pocket opening device you go with, especially if it's of the swage variety.

The go/no-go tool will not only help you get your tool set to where it opens the pocket big enough, but it'll also tell you if you've opened it *too* far, which is equally important.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Banned
    Scrap the junk poor quality GI 06 brass. The primer pockets all not always centered and break depriming pins. Factory 06 brass is all over the place. Buckets of once fired at my club range.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never used the RCBS PP swager so I don't know if this is even possible to create issues with 30 cal cases. With the Dillon 600 Super Swager on 223 cases the inside support is small enough that if you over swage the pocket you can collapse the pocket from the inside. This makes the pocket to shallow to fully set the primer. With the Dillon the 30 cal support rod is large enough were this doesn't happen. Something to check.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I too have problems with my RCBS swager on Lake City 7.62 brass. I would guess one in 25 primers go in hard, even after swaging. I know some find it wasteful, but all I do is chuck those ones in the trash. The scary thing is you have to seat the primers on those bad ones to get them out of the shell holder. My Lee priming tool has held up to that so far.

Lee just announced a primer pocket swagger of their own, to be released late this month. It looks a lot nicer to use than the RCBS anyway.

I'm now sitting here thinking, why not mill a slot out the front of the shell holder. That way I could remove the brass, even with a primer stuck half way.

Boolit Master

I used a RCBS Primer Pocket swager to clean the crimp out of 1,000 G.I. .45ACP cases, 40 odd years ago. Pushing on it to release the cases gave my right forearm a case of permanent Tennis Elbow.
    And to make matters worse, the Primer Pockets were all oversize.

I've gone back to cutting them out with an old pocket knife.
    Or Better yet using the Primer Pocket Reamer on My Lyman Case Express.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast