Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 mag

357 mag

Have a thought about building an Encore rifle barrel in 357 Mag. I would like it to have a fairly fast twist for heavy long boolits. My desire is for a 200+ grain boolit at subsonic speed in a short barrel that eventually will receive a suppressor.

Uses for this will be mainly target shooting without ear protection ... hunting medium and small game. This would be a single shot survival type weapon chambered in the easy to acquire 357 Magnum cartridges.

Do not want nor desire the 357 maximum. Higher power or higher velocity. Pretty much sold on the Magnum chamber.

This will be either a stub barrel or lined ... however have not ruled out a rebore by someone using a 223 barrel for the base barrel as the extractor and basic chamber is very close ... however I think a bull type barrel would be shizz nizz also.

This would also be a short barrel ... say 16 or 18 inch long.

Anybody thought or developed this type of a project? Loads? Heaviest boolits?
    Last edited by bigted; 12-01-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    New MGM custom barrel with no extras is shown as $395.

E. A. Brown custom looks like $390 with no extras.

Used barrel for stub tube is going to be what? Say $225. New blank will cost say $100. Machining cost put you over a new custom.

Used barrel of $225 plus rebore of $250 is again higher than a new custom.

New CVA rifle in 357 mag is $300 or so. I have seen lots of folk talking about great accuracy from CVA guns. The 357 mag is a "low power" round for the rifle, so it really should shoot good and last forever. Threading for a can would be extra, but gun + threading job should still be cheaper. I am not sure about twist, but the Lee 200 has worked fine every 357 mag gun I have tried it in.
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-02-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks. Good point. Might just have to search around and handle a CVA and see if it feels right.

Boolit Master
    I still kind of wish I had bought one of their 300 BO pistols while they were still available.

Boolit Master
    I converted a #3 Ruger from 22 Hornet to .357mag, and I love it. A Douglas 1-14 twist 35 cal rifle barrel is what I used. I prefer 160 gr cast bullets at subsonic velocities. Bore is .358, so .358 or larger bullets are required. I like .360 diameter. The extractor was easy to convert to .357mag. A 7/16" endmill was all that was needed to get the proper radius. A great plinker, with low noise. I was gifted a .357 max reamer also, so it was considered, but I went with the magnum, and haven't looked back. I think you will be pleased with your .357mag Encore after you get one.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a member here that put a silencer on a ..38/.357 lever action. It always seemed to me that it would be a very good survival/SHTF weapon.

Add a Sig Romeo dot sight (currently selling for $100) would make a fine addition.

I have thought about doing it to one of my rifles and was waiting for silencers to become legal...but it looks like that will not happen now.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    In my previous post I had found a new CVA in 357 Mag for $300. I could not find that listing today.

About the only alternates I found today were the $400 Henry single shot and the Traditions Outfitter.

I think if you shop around & watch web sites, you should be able to get a gun at a good price.

Thinkin that a MGM or such barrel made to order will probably be the order of the day. This Encore platform is growing on me all the time. I have a couple barrels for it already and just have a blast every time I take it out.

One barrel is a shortened 223 barrel. I load it with Trail Boss with PC'd Lee 55 grain boolits at rite at 22LR velocitys. Very fun and very accurate at small game ranges.

The 357 rem mag should bring me bunch's of fun. May be a bit to gather up the coin but headed that way.

Anybody care to share their low velocity or otherwise loads?

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    In my previous post I had found a new CVA in 357 Mag for $300. I could not find that listing today.

About the only alternates I found today were the $400 Henry single shot and the Traditions Outfitter.

I think if you shop around & watch web sites, you should be able to get a gun at a good price.
    CVA doesn't make a .357 rifle. They do have a pistol in .357. I have seen the pistol listed with a pic of a rifle though so a part number check should be done before ordering anything.

I want a threaded bbl SS .357 rifle as well. I have a CVA .300blk and would snap up a .357 in a heartbeat if they offered one. One thing I would do differently if I had a do over is to buy a .45 silencer rather than a 9mm. Just as quiet and I would have a CVA .44 mag threaded to use it on.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Thinkin that a MGM or such barrel made to order will probably be the order of the day. This Encore platform is growing on me all the time. I have a couple barrels for it already and just have a blast every time I take it out.

One barrel is a shortened 223 barrel. I load it with Trail Boss with PC'd Lee 55 grain boolits at rite at 22LR velocitys. Very fun and very accurate at small game ranges.

The 357 rem mag should bring me bunch's of fun. May be a bit to gather up the coin but headed that way.

Anybody care to share their low velocity or otherwise loads?
    Here ya go Ted:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...R-Whisper-250g

Boolit Man
    Sounds like a fun "toy", especially with a can

Boolit Buddy
    traditions makes a cheap 357 break action rifle.

https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles...22-ss-syn.html
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Make sure the chamber is throated correctly.

Worthy plan to stay with .357 Magnum. I reamed a 14" Contender barrel to .357 Max, and wish I hadn't. The Magnum case, with a barrel that's throated for a 200 grain bullet, has all the powder space you need.

No going back now. All I can do is load the Max case accordingly.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I reamed a 14" Contender barrel to .357 Max, and wish I hadn't.
    I have a bunch of 357 Mag and 357 Max guns.

I do not like to load hot ammo in magnum cases. If someone has a 357 mag single shot and wants to rechamber for more power, I typically recommend the DW 360. You can still get good service with magnum cases, but you can load the 360 brass to near 357 max performance.

The only situation where I see the Max as better would be for long guns (including 14" pistols) where the shooter is really needing extra effective hunting range and has no desire to shoot the gun for smaller game or "just for fun".

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I have a bunch of 357 Mag and 357 Max guns.

I do not like to load hot ammo in magnum cases. If someone has a 357 mag single shot and wants to rechamber for more power, I typically recommend the DW 360. You can still get good service with magnum cases, but you can load the 360 brass to near 357 max performance.

The only situation where I see the Max as better would be for long guns (including 14" pistols) where the shooter is really needing extra effective hunting range and has no desire to shoot the gun for smaller game or "just for fun".
    Certainly agree that the Max should not be loaded as hot as the Internet cowboys claim to be doing in the Encore, which is by no means a strong action.

But believe it or not, on paper you can load a .357 Magnum case with a 200 grain cast bullet, seated well out, with enough Lil'Gun to get over 1000 ft.lbs. from a 12" barrel, at a pressure well within the SAAMI max. The barrel must be throated for it - the bullet is only .200" deep in the case. Almost a breech-seated load. Have I done it? No - I am cured of the Contender/Encore disease, and have no desire to re-infect myself. May one day mount a .357 Magnum High Wall barrel I have to a spare action and run my Max reamer into it, but it's not high priority.
    Last edited by uscra112; 12-03-2019 at 02:19 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    USCRA,

In your previous post, you are describing is an "Option 4" where Options 1 -3 are standard loads in standard cases (mag, max & 360).

With option 4, you assemble ammo in a Mag case that is way too long to fit in any of the weak revolvers. With over length ammo, you can load as hot as you are comfortable with and not worry about the ammo getting in a wrong gun.

Max usable OAL depends on you chamber and on your bullet profile. With a long nose bullet (J word or cast) or a nose riding boolit, even a standard chamber will allow for a long OAL. I took my old octagon 357 TC barrel, used one of my custom 200s (pictures earlier in this thread) and found I could seat out for a 1.8" OAL.

Unfortunately, although the Lee 200 is one of the obvious choices for a long nose bullet there is a good chance it will not give you as much as you would think. What looks to be a nose riding portion drops right at 0.350" from my mold and is too fat to go inside the lands on any of my 35 cal TC barrels.
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Thanks for the link. Good read. Answers some questions for me

Boolit Buddy
    I followed harrympope's posts. bought an IMI Timberwolf pump and began playing. With pump I could only chamber 170, 180 & 200 grain. shooting those suppressed with 9mm can was and is cool. Wanting to go heavier got harrympope to send me some of his cast. found the timberwolf couldn't do the long ones. went to H&R handi with long throat, tried 358 rifle j bullets and they did OK. Discovered the old Ideal 358318 245 grain round nose. Bought an NOE copy with hollow point. Finally found an original 358318 on ebay. the handi's throat will take these long boolits. Little over 5 grains of Unique with these little thumpers and a suppressor are quite fun and cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    r6487, interesting that you have a Timberwolf pump as they are not that common. I bought one in the 1990s and it shoots great, but I have only mostly used 38s loaded with 158gc lead @ about 900 fps. The factory sights are not the best in my opinion. In the old Gunlist paper there was an ad for the entire remaining lot of parts for the gun from some sort of liquidator outfit looking for a sucker. Didn't have the money, but should have bought the lot. Would like to find one of the 44 mag guns which are real rare.

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast