Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 mag

Boolit Buddy
    I did a barrel stub on an H&R in 38 special for shooting 250 gr. cast Boolits, and at 40 yards you can shoot a 3 shot, 5 shot or 10 shot group and there is never any paper left between the bullet holes.

Since I have neighbors that live VERY close by, I needed something that was relatively quiet and would put both front shoulders out of commission so as to not have a deer jump a fence and possibly die right next to someone's house. Yes, all legal hunting, but just have less than 1 1/2 acres where the deer bed down on my place, so I need to anchor them down fast, without cutting loose with a high powered rifle.

So far so good! 8 years, 8 deer and 8 shots fired, and none of my nosy neighbors have any idea that any deer have been killed around the area.

Groo here
    The biggest problem with a factory barrel is most are cut to Sammy specs..
    The specs also include the cylinder and there for have long chambers.
    Some are so long that they will take 357 seated to 357 max oal.
    The custom are usually cut correctly.
    Ps don't overlook the Contender frame.
    There are many out there and Haus of Guns is selling new SS ones.

Boolit Buddy
    another good cast boolit I forgot to mention is the Penn Bullets 230grain Thunderhead. Developed for bowling pin competitions. As these have a pretty flat head they can be set deep on a short throat gun.

I have said this before but why CVA didn't make their break action single shot in 357 makes no sense. Right now in a new rifle you have Traditions and Henry.
    The last 357 handi barrel I seen for sale went for $ 300 so you need to keep looking.

Jedman

I just thought of a chamber adapter to use in a shotgun. There is a guy named Chaszel who makes a 357 mag adapter for a 12, 16, or 20 ga. In 1- 16 or 1- 12 twist and in 11" or 18" lengths.
    They shoot well as adapters but if installed permanently they are as good as regular rifle barrel.
    They are priced at $ 65 to $ 100 and if you want to have a extractor or ejector you would have to do that yourself.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Certainly agree that the Max should not be loaded as hot as the Internet cowboys claim to be doing in the Encore, which is by no means a strong action.

But believe it or not, on paper you can load a .357 Magnum case with a 200 grain cast bullet, seated well out, with enough Lil'Gun to get over 1000 ft.lbs. from a 12" barrel, at a pressure well within the SAAMI max. The barrel must be throated for it - the bullet is only .200" deep in the case. Almost a breech-seated load. Have I done it? No - I am cured of the Contender/Encore disease, and have no desire to re-infect myself. May one day mount a .357 Magnum High Wall barrel I have to a spare action and run my Max reamer into it, but it's not high priority.
    Encore is factory chambered in 300 Winchester and 7 Remington Mag. I am pretty sure it will handle 357 Magnum.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I have said this before but why CVA didn't make their break action single shot in 357 makes no sense. Right now in a new rifle you have Traditions and Henry.
    The last 357 handi barrel I seen for sale went for $ 300 so you need to keep looking.

Jedman
    I'm with ya. So bizarre. Their EU version the BA13 is available in a 16" threaded barrel version in 9mm with open sights. I'd love to have one of those or a .357 version. Lets hope they see sales of the Henry and wake the heck up.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

At just south of 400 dollars, the MGM 20 inch barrel seems to be the one to beat. I can not fathom getting together parts to either line a current barrel nor do a stub barrel and it costing any less in the long run.

Plus as far as I can hear tell ... the MGM barrels with the 16 inch twist seem to shoot well ... unless I have missed a tid bit along the way?

This way I would end up with a precision barrel, threaded with thread protectors AND stamped correctly with "357 Rem Mag" . Also this does not add to my list of "documented" firearms in possession.

Action wise ... I can not see that the Encore hunter action is weak with these low pressure 357 mag pistol loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12