RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Knives.

Moderator Emeritus

Hello, my name is Jon and I am a knife addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Do you buy only the best, only cheap stuff, or a little bit of both?

...SNIP
    A little bit of both, I guess.

My biggest weakness is vintage knives priced real cheap, doesn't really matter condition, I have several fixed blade butcher knives I use in the garden or garage, so looks doesn't matter.

It all started about 35 years ago, when I fell in love with my Dad's Western fixed blade hunting knife. Then years later when I started doing gunshows, I started buying up all that I seen, if reasonably priced, no matter the condition. At the peak, I bet I have a hundred of them. Then all of a sudden the Western market jumped and all the Westerns, like the ones I bought for $1 to $5 each, (obviously they all had condition issues), started selling for $20 and $25. So I started selling all those problem children for a nice profit. Today, I still have about 10 nice Western examples, as well as several other brands of fixed and folders...there could be a hundred total?

Lately, I've been on a kick with acquiring vintage Chicago Cutlery knives. This kick started about 2 years ago, when I stumbled onto a butcher block with a mix & match group of knives, at a antique shop. There was a mint condition Chef knife (model 42s). I didn't want the block or the other knives, so I offered the owner $5 for the one knife (the block with 6 knives was priced at $10). I think he knew that the CC Chef knife was the only good part of that deal and was hesitant...well actually he was pretty sure that he wasn't gonna sell the CC knife separate...I told him repeated, my offer stands. I wandered around his store for another half hour waiting for him to decide for sure...then I just walked out the door, not buying anything. He stopped me and said, OK, you can have the one knife for $5.

Attachment 252241

When I got it home and put an edge on it, I fell in love with it. I guess I've acquired 5 or 10 more CC knives of various styles/models since then.

PS, I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I haven't come across any Chicago cutlery knives yet but I've read about them so they are on the radar.

Boolit Master
    I dabble in a little bit of it all, lol. My most commonly carried pocket knife is an old Ulster. If I don't have that one, then a griptillian gets carried. I pick up US made pocket knives here and there if the price is good. I like to restore them, modify them at times, and they make good gifts.

For fixed blades I trend towards the higher end stuff.

I don't have a lot of knives. Got a Kabar that I don't carry because it's to big. Have a skinner I had custom in 70 before the craze. My hunting knife is a Canadian Trapper which I have carried for over 50yrs. It's on its third sheath. Small game hunting I carry an old Case 3blade Stockman, everyday a Case mini Blackthorn. I'm one who can't see $300 in a knife. If I needed a hunting knife I would but a used Case, Queen, Western any older name brand in Carbon steel. I loose interest fast if a knife is stainless. Some are very good knives but PIA to sharpen. Cheap stainless won't hold an edge and isn't worth carrying.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    D2 is a strange beast.
    d2 is interesting indeed. ive gotten it sharp enough with diamond strops to do multi split hairs. but then I looked at the edge under a microscope and it has tiny perfect squares of the edge that just sort of fell off, but who needs those squares anyway

Boolit Master
    My every day carry knife is an old Case 1/2 Whittler. For fixed blade hunting knives I am partial to Bark River Knives. They are high end production knives and are made in my home state. If I carry a large folder for hunting it will be my Ka-bar Dozier in D2. I seem to have no problems sharpening it scary sharp with diamond hones.
    This 3" Bark River Hunter field dressed and skinned two whitetails, quartering one, and is still sharp. One of my favorites.

Attachment 252255

I have accumulated about 50 or so knives of various types over the years and I made knives back in the mid 80's and still have my knife grinder. I used to say that I made and sold knives to generate money so I could buy the pocket knives I wanted. Mostly "Case" brand with the Stag Scales.

I disperse my working knives into various backpacks and in the Cars and Truck and Jeep. The really nice Case Folders stay in the safe. I have bought mostly cheap knives from gas stations recently. The "Switchblade" lookin' ones that flip open easily, and these are in the cars for defensive purposes. They are $10-12 each and I don't care if I lose them I must have 5 of them laying around.

My EDC is a CRKT folder that The guys from Ruger gave me a few years ago at the sHOT Show. It holds and edge better than any knive I ever bought or made. I also carry a Superknife Box Cutter which I've had now for 17 years carrying it everyday. That has got to be some kind of record and the only reason I haven't lost it is because of the pocket clip that keeps it anchored to me very well. I have both of these on me everyday and the clips make them easy to keep track of.

I just bought an odd knife last week. I had been eyeballing it for a month or so and finally forked over the $35 for it.

It is a Buck Folding Fillet Knife! The Blade is 6" long and the knife is 12.5" long over all when open. It will go clean thru you. I'd never seen anything like it. Looks like a Giant Texas Toothpick.

I also found a neato pouch for it at the same surplus store for $2. Pretty cool.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I had a Cold steel very similar to their Secret Edge knife until one day a very sassy black started messing with me at work when I was in the sawmill.I told him to leave me alone but he wouldn't listen. we got into a scuffle and I twisted his arm and had him pinned against an H beam and pulled the knife out, shielded it with my index finger and told him to cease or I'd stick him. Fool didn't believe me. I slightly poked him in his neck and he howled and said "You stuck me!"
    I smiled and told him that was what I had promised if he didn't behave. No damage happened, no ill feelings, he just learned that when the grumpy white guy told him to do something it had best get done......

I gotta say that at work he'd moon anyone that he even thought was looking at him. Didn't care who it was.....I do believe that he was part crazy.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I carry these two every day and shudder without them. Swiss and USA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BCF72C2-CBC9-4BE5-A1EF-2882AA5F2FD0.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	252282

Name:	CE2FD508-0BAC-4A93-8279-A267282CB94D.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	252283

As mentioned, Im fond of Buck knives
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    my edc is a buck 371 stockman I won it at a shooting match about 10 years ago. my hunting knife is the small boy scout fixed blade I got when I was in the scouts in the early 60's.

Moderator Emeritus

EDC:
    I have a short tale of woe.
    When I was younger, I would carry a inexpensive pocket knife.
    Sometime in the early 90s, I spent too much money (for my income at that time) on a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert folder, it was one of the early one's with the blade made from ATS-34. It sure did hold an edge. I carried it everywhere and used it a lot. After about a year or so of carrying it everywhere, I lost it. It was during a snowmobile safari in my County. I covered about 100 miles. I have no idea where I lost it. I did get stuck in deep snow once, so I was off the sled, muscling it around...and then there was another spot where I lost control of the sled going over a drift and I flew off the sled. I searched those two areas the next day...as well as in the spring after the snow melt...never found it. So I never put another expensive knife in my pocket as a EDC ever again.

Mostly, I use a $30 Spyderco as a EDC, which in the last 20+ years, have never lost (obviously).

PS: as I composed this comment, I did a fleabay search for this gerber to check it's current value...and I seen a few listings for just the BOX...I guess collectors want the BOX??? the listings were like $35...So now I gotta go through my knife locker, as I believe I still have the original Gerber box that the lost knife came in.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Name:	289126C6-09DF-496B-9C27-76F0BF3EB0B9.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	252362

I like Buck knives.
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 12-04-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

cwlongshot, that custom 110 is sweet.

I base my knife possession on quality, edge holding ability, and handiness for the task at hand.

When I'm on walkabout, I tote my CS Trail Master Bowie

When upland hunting, a Remington Small Game knife goes along

I always take a Hobo knife when I attend a game dinner

I usually EDC two or three folders - like a Spydeco Police, and a folder I found while walking my dog in a city park

One of the sharpest and most edge holding ability knives I own is a Sharp (brand) fixed blade I bought over 40 years ago for $6 (new) @ a K-Mart - it's field-dressed more than 40 deer over those years, and has yet need to be re-sharpened.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I owned one of those Sharp brand knives just like the one in the picture. I loved the way it felt in my hand and loved the way it cut.
    Then one day, a big crescent moon shaped chunk broke out of the blade ending that. I was skinning a deer with it at the time. Shame.

Back in the day, I bought a full set of the Chicago Cutlery knives for my kitchen. I still have some of them.
    Several got broken during use at times.
    I buy them when I see them at yard sales but I don't see them often.

Name:	kbar.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	252368

My Marine Issue K-Bar is my favorite (even though I am a retired Sailor myself) For Folders I prefer Schrade Buck or Gerber

Pietro, thanks for sharing. I like that trail master, pretty sweet. You do that handle yourself? The Sharp knife is neat too. I'll have to do some research on them. Some of those Japan knives are junk and some are excellent I hear. Sounds like that is the latter. I like that loveless style, and been looking for one. Schrade made one id like to get hold of.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-04-2019 at 01:38 AM.

TbG, what model spyderco is that?

Boolit Master
    My EDC is the Spyderco.
    The two Knives of Alaska blades have been my constant companion hunting for years, the middle is what my kids call Dundee, my uncle gave it to me when I was 13, dressed and boned more deer, elk, moose, bears and assorted sheep and goats than I can count.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast