Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Tripod for spotting scope shooting from bench

Boolit Master

Tripod for spotting scope shooting from bench

Have a good spotting scope and need a good inexpensive tripod to hold it firmly in place when shooting benchrest. Thanks for any suggestions what to get. Inexpensive is about $100 or so. Would pay more if necessary to secure acceptable quality.

A tripod set up for older type video cameras are usually sturdy enough to hold a spotting scope steady.
    I went through the same search a couple of years ago. I got lucky and picked one up at a yard sale for $25. Mine was from back in the days when video cameras were large and bulky devices that required strong support.
    Sorry that I can't name a specific brand or model.

Moderator Emeritus

I used a fairly stout video/still camera tripod for a year or two -- the price was right as its best redeeming virtue, complemented by its adjustable length three-leg stability. HOWEVER, it got quite tiresome for me for me to move the "distance" from where my rifle was to look through my spotting scope. Most other persons had dedicated spotting scope stands -- their cost out of my budget.
    Giving a bit of thought, I picked up a MICROPHONE stand for (I'm guessing -- too many years back) a very few dollars -- maybe five? I then bought a 1" square by 12" long piece of aluminum stock. I drilled a large hole, with a small threaded hole at its side for a lock-screw so this aluminum slides up and down on the microphone stand tube. At the outboard end I drilled a 1/4" hole through it, and found a 1/4-20 bolt with a flat end that went through this hole and threaded into my Konus scope. After cutting said machine bolt to length, my only challenge was fighting vibration and gravity -- but a lock washer under the bolts' head took care of that.
    I'd guess I have less than fifteen dollars in the rig.... and it has worked well for me! The only caveat I add is that at ranges where I (mostly) use it, there is concrete "floor". In the field -- e.g., on grass, pine needles, etc. -- I do have to jiggle twigs, etc, to keep it from wobbling. But, once done -- it again works.
    Just an idea based upon what I did. Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I quit using a tripod and made something much more stable, a wooden box about the size of a 50 cal ammo can. You then cut a V notch in each end, and set your spotting scope down in the V notches. To set the elevation I used those tapered wooden wedges under one end of the box, the shims that you use when framing in door frames and windows, ect. If it is real windy, lay a small sandbag over the top of your scope,much more stable than a tripod. This setup might look kind of old fashioned, but spend a few minutes and make one and try it out, and I think you will be pleased with its performance.

Boolit Master
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/spott...gories=tripods
    My favorite tripod was included with a BSA spotting scope. I haven't been able to find another but have had good luck with Levenhuk and Nikon.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Look at the freelands bi pod stand. Its a nice short base folds up into a compact size and lighter weight. as it comes its useable from off the bench with a couple additional rods it can be set up beside the bench and used. I used a couple for High power for years. They can be used from prone to standing on a bench or besides it.

Boolit Master

I picked up a real good tripod and head used at a camera shop a Manfrotto has a hook on the center column to add weights i would also look in a goodwill store but adding weights will help a lot https://www.dpmag.com/how-to/tip-of-...t-more-stable/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I've picked up several camera tripods at garage sales for $5 or less. The one I currently use was given to me by a friend that does DJ work. I've tried to give three extras away, but they are not real sturdy like the one I use. Wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping for me to even send them to someone.

Boolit Master
    Our local convention center holds an "Everything but the Garage" sale twice a year or so, aside from the usual "vendor" stalls it makes for a kind of one stop shop, rather then driving all over for a hit or miss. Though we don't have a decent one around here I would assume the local swap would also be a good source.

In prowling the rows on various occasions I scored a range bag sized tripod for the spotting scope to set on the bench and a studio quality video camera tripod for the chronograph.

Banned
    There's no shortage of old, smaller tripods. They were once common accessories for video recorders, cameras, etc. Attend garage sales, swap meets, gun shows, whatever and you'll find all you need.

Boolit Master
    thrift stores- I see them all the time.
    Loren

Banned

Look at the Celestron Hummingbird tripod.........good quality for around $100.00!

Boolit Master
    georgerkahn's idea is excellent especially if you want to conserve cash for other shooting items.

In place of his microphone stand you might substitute an old worn out brake rotor and everyone can get those for scrap these days.
    EDG

A surveyor's tripod is the best for stability. Jarhead sells an excellent compact aliminum stand that is very stable.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Dan Cash - Do you have a link for the Jarhead stand?

Thanks
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

I use a jarhead stand for my lab radar and it is a very good stand especially with the newer heavier spotting scopes. If only for bench use and your benches tops aren't overly thick a rod welded to a c-clamp makes a solid mounting. Clamp ot on the bench top and use a saddle from another stand

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    Dan Cash - Do you have a link for the Jarhead stand?

Thanks
    https://jarheadtop.com/
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.