Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 101

Thread: Knives.

  1. #61
    Boolit Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    5,567
    Well, for whatever it is worth, S30V is considered a premium blade steel.

  2. #62
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,893
    That same daughter has provided me with CRKT, SOG, and one Hen&Rooster. All very good knives that I probably wouldn't buy for myself due to cost and fear of loss!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  3. #63
    Boolit Master
    dk17hmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    .......

    It all started about 35 years ago, when I fell in love with my Dad's Western fixed blade hunting knife. Then years later when I started doing gunshows, I started buying up all that I seen, if reasonably priced, no matter the condition. At the peak, I bet I have a hundred of them. Then all of a sudden the Western market jumped and all the Westerns, like the ones I bought for $1 to $5 each, (obviously they all had condition issues), started selling for $20 and $25. So I started selling all those problem children for a nice profit. Today, I still have about 10 nice Western examples, as well as several other brands of fixed and folders...there could be a hundred total?.......[/I]
    I have two Western fixed blades. One was my grandfather's the other was his father's. I get them out of the safe every once in a while and look at them.

    I have a bunch of knifes that I leave around the house and garage ranging from a couple dollar folder to several hundred dollars custom fixed blades. EDC is a Spyderco efficient, which is about a $40 folder and it has been great, I'll be moving up the Spyderco food change without a doubt. For along time it was a CRKT tiny tighe breaker, sadly it wouldnt hold an edge anymore. I have a really nice Benchmade my buddy gave me for helping him frame his shop. Gerber's, old timers, bucks, and no names are around here everywhere for when something needs to be cut or stabbed.

    For hunting I have a custom made fixed blade Skinner by my very good friend and member here jtknives. Most of the time in the field I use either an outdoor edge or havalon with replaceable blades. My uncle just gave me a Hess fixed blade for my hunting pack, it's a blank from the old Marbles in Gladstone Michigan with a fancy handle.
    There's an estwing camp axe and a USMC kabar in my truck along with Kershaw fillet knives, Leatherman and Gerber multi tools also.

    I didn't realize I had a knife problem until now......
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

    Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

  4. #64
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,893
    Thanks, JonB for the knife name. Pietro- I like the 1910 Browning best of all.
    I like this thread, I’ll post some others later.

  5. #65
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,129
    I bought my Buck 110 about 1977-1978 think I paid $25 about then.This was for every day carry in NYC try that now. My hunting is a old Puma Buddy and I think I paid about $35 bucks. Over the years ocasionally I would by a new knife not for hunting but just to have.Gerbers MKI & MKII made around the time of the vietnam war. Few bayonets along the way. Then about 5 years ago got into Benchmade knives. Two large Griptillians, Their fixed blade hunting knife and two folders. Probably get another one for myself. Don't hunt any more bad legs so punch paper bow. Yeah, Benchmade isn't exactly cheap but they do offer good value for the money. Frank

  6. #66
    Boolit Master



    cwlongshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I bought my Buck 110 about 1977-1978 think I paid $25 about then.This was for every day carry in NYC try that now. My hunting is a old Puma Buddy and I think I paid about $35 bucks. Over the years ocasionally I would by a new knife not for hunting but just to have.Gerbers MKI & MKII made around the time of the vietnam war. Few bayonets along the way. Then about 5 years ago got into Benchmade knives. Two large Griptillians, Their fixed blade hunting knife and two folders. Probably get another one for myself. Don't hunt any more bad legs so punch paper bow. Yeah, Benchmade isn't exactly cheap but they do offer good value for the money. Frank
    I got a Buck 112 Finger groove when I was in 8th grade. My favorite! I carried it daily thru and in high school. Never so much as questioned. I lost it in a stream fishing about just after HIgh school.
    I looked and looked for a replacement. Plenty if 110’s.
    Years Later ebay and I looked for one that was same era/year. I assumed it was a ‘76/77 built knife. Couple years ago I bought one then another they where not what they advertised. But nice knives and not Prohibitively work expensive. So I have a few 112’s.

    I did finally find a replacement and seldom carry now as there are so
    Many good thin knives that dont require a sheath.

    CW
    NRA Life member REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.

  7. #67
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    OKC , Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That same daughter has provided me with CRKT, SOG, and one Hen&Rooster. All very good knives that I probably wouldn't buy for myself due to cost and fear of loss!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    She sounds like a dandy tell there are some old guys that want to adopt her

  8. #68
    Boolit Master pietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,770
    .

    I sliced off the Cold Steel's rubber handle and replaced it with pinned/epoxied ebony.







    The Browning is a Model 1955





    Thank you for the ID of my foundling folder




    I unconsciously bought one of the good ones, made in Seki City, Japan

    Experience is a wonderful thing - It lets you recognize a mistake, when you make it again.

  9. #69
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,129
    Whenever I end up in a sporting goods store I gotta check out what they have as far as knives are concerned. Too many of the name brands are of chinese make. Bought a three knife set made for Gerber in china. They never ground the cut out in the liner release deep enough. So if you can't easily open or close it. Since it was only $20 or so for the set, time to do some dremel work. The cutout is deeper on the edge on one side than the other. Have a Kershaw that has the same setup so will use it as a guide. Frank

  10. #70
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,162
    I just want to say. I own some expensive guns, they ALL go to the range and to the woods! Are those guns too nice to shoot? Hell no! That's what they where made for! I've never bought a gun and then not used it. I'm the same with knives. I buy good knives and some are ridiculously expensive, but ultimately, they are tools, and tools wear out, are lost, and sometimes break. There is risk of loss carrying an expensive knife, but what's it worth to use a premium tool? I take the risk! I carry about $300 worth of edged steel nearly every day, and that's cheep compared with the steel that's designed to sling lead!

    Life's too short to shoot ugly inaccurate guns, or carry a cheep weak knife, YMMV.

  11. #71
    Boolit Grand Master






    Lloyd Smale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    munising Michigan
    Posts
    15,332
    I buy mostly bark river knives anymore. Good carbon steel knife from a company ran buy good old boys not corporate suits.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

  12. #72
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    OKC , Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,158
    I bet most of the folks here wind up with a large assortment of knives I seem to find ones I forgot I had all the time . Once in a while I wind up giving accumulated surplus to friends and family
    For the most part I prefer flat ground knives that can be open and closed with one hand .
    Always carry the little Spyderco zdp189 dragonfly and one of the others in the pic most are working tools used every day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA63007B-43CB-4DE6-ACC2-3074FFDC7A68.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	252698

  13. #73
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,893
    These fixed blades are used for field dressing deer. The spey bade was made by a friend, the Scrade Bowie type was re- handled by me with walnut after the original 1970 red plastic and leather cracked from age. The Browning folder is pretty good for China stainless.
    The only Gerber I own is this EasyOut USA made little one that rides in the butt compartment of my favorite AR.
    On the left of the assorted folders is my first "good" knife I was given at age 10. It already had the little blade broken off and for some reason I drilled a hole in it....Montgomery Wards Powercraft Barlow. The SOG Blinks in the middle are favorites, the physcadelic handled stockman is a Hen & Rooster that my Son in law gave me. It goes to Church and Barbeques

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  14. #74
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,169
    TbG, that Barlow looks like it's a camco camillus made knife. I had a camco when I was a kid and that thing would get real sharp.

    More info on the schrade please. Never seen one like that.

    What's the story on the wood handled spyderco? That factory?

  15. #75
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,893
    Bazoo, the Barlow could very well be Camillus made for Wards; and yes it stays sharp. I just shaved the back of my finger with it. Around my 12 th birthday, Dad and I were in Western Auto and he told me to pick out a knife from the display cases. We weren’t affluent, so I knew better than to pick out a Case or Buck. Back then, each brand had its own display case on the counter. Buck and Case and Western were considered top tier, then Schrade, then Imperial, then the Japanese Sabre brand at the bottom rung. In the Schrade case was a big hunting knife that somewhat resembled ( to me) the famous KaBar. That’s the one I picked. It had a ringed leather handle like the KaBar and the hardest red plastic ends I’d ever seen. All it says on the blade is Schrade-Walden N.Y USA. I never liked the double hilt so the top part was removed later. A few years ago I remodeled it and discovered that the end cap was one piece with the blade. So I did like Pietro( not as well!) and fit two halves of walnut with epoxy and un-needed Chicago screws. My friend made the left handed sheath for me. The Spyderco is LWDP3 Ladybug Pakkawood- HAP40/SUS410 Seki-Japan. My knife nut beloved oldest daughter gave it to me on my last birthday. I have a display cabinet of little pocket knives “Church knives” if you will. Uncle Henry’s, Old timers, Bucks, and others less than 3” closed. Remember when you could get tiny pocket knives from gum ball machines? I have a few of those, too.

  16. #76
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,169
    Thanks for the info TbG,

    Pietro, thanks for the info on that rehandle job. I like the look of tht knife, but not so much the rubber handle. And that Sharp knife, from my research was made by hattori and there is a couple on ebay with prices asking 175. However it's a sleeper, might find one at a yardsale or pawn shop for 10 bucks if I get lucky.

  17. #77
    Boolit Master pietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,770
    .

    Thanks, Bazoo !

    This is my Schrade Barlow pattern


    Experience is a wonderful thing - It lets you recognize a mistake, when you make it again.

  18. #78
    Boolit Buddy Sam Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    202
    Just bought a newer Buck 119 and the factory blade is “scary “ sharp. The knife is larger than I expected, but very nice IMO.

  19. #79
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    OKC , Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Bazoo, the Barlow could very well be Camillus made for Wards; and yes it stays sharp. I just shaved the back of my finger with it. Around my 12 th birthday, Dad and I were in Western Auto and he told me to pick out a knife from the display cases. We weren’t affluent, so I knew better than to pick out a Case or Buck. Back then, each brand had its own display case on the counter. Buck and Case and Western were considered top tier, then Schrade, then Imperial, then the Japanese Sabre brand at the bottom rung. In the Schrade case was a big hunting knife that somewhat resembled ( to me) the famous KaBar. That’s the one I picked. It had a ringed leather handle like the KaBar and the hardest red plastic ends I’d ever seen. All it says on the blade is Schrade-Walden N.Y USA. I never liked the double hilt so the top part was removed later. A few years ago I remodeled it and discovered that the end cap was one piece with the blade. So I did like Pietro( not as well!) and fit two halves of walnut with epoxy and un-needed Chicago screws. My friend made the left handed sheath for me. The Spyderco is LWDP3 Ladybug Pakkawood- HAP40/SUS410 Seki-Japan. My knife nut beloved oldest daughter gave it to me on my last birthday. I have a display cabinet of little pocket knives “Church knives” if you will. Uncle Henry’s, Old timers, Bucks, and others less than 3” closed. Remember when you could get tiny pocket knives from gum ball machines? I have a few of those, too.
    This post was a trip down memory lane .
    I had an old Barlow in grade school that I found mashed in the mud on the side of a road , carried it most of my fourth grade year till a teacher took it away from me for cutting something I was not supposed to.

  20. #80
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    315
    Man Texas, that story hit home.
    I helped my grandfather drag wire across the river for 2 days when I was 8. He took me to the store and told me to pick out a knife from the case. It was a Barlow 2 blade. I kept it for years, cleaning a good friend's first elk when I discovered we had nothing else. I would show a picture, but I left it on his coffin lid. Great memories.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check