MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Knives.

Boolit Master

It was a gift back on my 50th Bday.

Yup its a nice one!

Thank you Bazoo!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

When buying I stay with knives made in the USA or Europe.

I mostly buy on the cheap side. 40$ is my cut off point. I prefer roughly 3.5" assisted open blades with the pocket clip on the opposite end from the opener.

This means the knife comes out of my pocket, gets a shove on a lever and a flip and is ready for business in under 3 seconds. I mostly practice on Amazon boxes.

A little barber strop action now and then to keep them sharp. I prefer just short of shaving sharp.

Was a cabon steel freek for years but these modern stainless hold and edge a LONG time. Take minor time to keep them touched up and working.

One of my latest was made for Ruger by CRKT, couple of TEK'S, various and sundry others. Twas the Ganzo 728 that started me down that road. Cheap chinese knockoffs. But dang they made a good EDC.

One of my favorites has no name on it, went through the wash and came back missing the blade pivot screw and I suspect spring. Slim, stainless steel on one side, flat black on the other. I've carried it for a year. It never let me down until I let it down and let it get into the wash. I'm still in mourning. I have been trying a different knife every morning. Todays is a Kershaw. Sinkevitch design 4035tikvt on the blade. Liner lock is a touch stiff, belt clip needs loosening, that isn't hard to fix. Got a sleek steel look to it. Might be the EDC winner for a while.

Boolit Master
    I decided to try out a D2 Ontario RAT 3 and had the same general experience listed above....

It took a really good edge (I used diamond plates, no stropping).... Then when I was in the middle of a deer - the edge "fell off"... It just went straight from sharp to dull... There was no option except to power through the rest of the deer - and I did.... Drove me NUTS!!!

I am trying to give it the benefit of the doubt... There's a pretty good chance that the factory edge was damaged by their factory power grinding process and it just needs to be sharpened several times.. But DANG!!!!.

I never had that problem with conventional carbon steel or quality conventional cutlery stainless steels.

I am in the process of trying out a few things to see if it was a fluke and needs to be sharpened a few more times or if it needs a more coarse or more fine edge... Who knows...

But it also opened the door to several other knives to try out like a Buck, a Case, a Schrade D2, and a 1095 carbon steel Old Hickory 5" hunting knife. We will see how things go as I try them out....

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    TbG, what model spyderco is that?
    CPM S30V. My daughter gave it to me and it is a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cwtebay, thanks for sharing. What's the story on those KOA handles?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    cwtebay, thanks for sharing. What's the story on those KOA handles?
    They both started as walrus ivory, the muscrat was borrowed by an employee and the ivory was taken so my 10 and 12 year old boys put the antler handle on, I personally like the 38 Long Colt brass rivet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Pietro: the folder you found while walking the dog is called a "Texas Toothpick" Not to be confused with the "Fish Knife" which is a Toothpick with an hook disgorger/scaler blade added.

It should be noted that all the major pocket knife styles are produced by all of the major makers. They all have Stockmans, Muskrats and Trappers, Canoes, Congress, Peanuts, Folding Hunters, Texas Toothpicks and so on.. All the basic styles are there with only slight variations in the actual execution of the styling. Sizing and blade types are constant from maker to maker.

Things that change are the scales, the shape of the bolsters, and materials the blades are made from. but the basic size and blade configurations stay the same. You can look at a Trapper from any maker and tell it is a Trapper. They all have 2 4 1/4" blades. one for general cutting and one for skinning small animals. A normal sized Stockman has a Clip Point Blade, a Sheepsfoot Grafting Blade and a Spey Blade for de-nutting pigs mostly. Saw it done once and there is definitely some technique involved!

It is actually quite interesting to learn about the intended uses of all the types of Folding Pocket Knives. All this was established before 1900. When I was in grade school I carried a Camulius Stockman with a broken tip everyday from 4th to 6th grade. It was assumed that every boy should have a pocket knife on him at all times. I was a Cub Scout too!

Now I'd be thrown in jail and expelled from school for showing up with a pocket knife on me. I don't think it is better now. I actually had some personal responsibility when I was a kid. (I still would have beaten me regularly!)

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Pietro: the folder you found while walking the dog is called a "Texas Toothpick" Not to be confused with the "Fish Knife" which is a Toothpick with an hook disgorger/scaler blade added.

It should be noted that all the major pocket knife styles are produced by all of the major makers. They all have Stockmans, Muskrats and Trappers, Canoes, Congress, Peanuts, Folding Hunters, Texas Toothpicks and so on.. All the basic styles are there with only slight variations in the actual execution of the styling. Sizing and blade types are constant from maker to maker.

Things that change are the scales, the shape of the bolsters, and materials the blades are made from. but the basic size and blade configurations stay the same. You can look at a Trapper from any maker and tell it is a Trapper. They all have 2 4 1/4" blades. one for general cutting and one for skinning small animals. A normal sized Stockman has a Clip Point Blade, a Sheepsfoot Grafting Blade and a Spey Blade for de-nutting pigs mostly. Saw it done once and there is definitely some technique involved!

It is actually quite interesting to learn about the intended uses of all the types of Folding Pocket Knives. All this was established before 1900. When I was in grade school I carried a Camulius Stockman with a broken tip everyday from 4th to 6th grade. It was assumed that every boy should have a pocket knife on him at all times. I was a Cub Scout too!

Now I'd be thrown in jail and expelled from school for showing up with a pocket knife on me. I don't think it is better now. I actually had some personal responsibility when I was a kid. (I still would have beaten me regularly!)

Randy
    Amen. I carried the same knife my grandfather carried in school until I graduated. My 14 year old son was sent home last Monday for carrying our branding iron into the school (was making a Christmas present for his grandfather in shop). My godson was suspended for 3 days for having empty brass by his pickup door - I learned to free float a rifle barrel during my high school shop class. Times they are a-changin' - and not for the better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have two knives that will hold an edge for an incredibly long time. One is an early Cold Steel san mai tanto (around 1994) and a Cold Steel Ranger tanto which is about the same age(carbon steel).
    On various occasions I have skinned, boned, and cut up multiple whitetail deer without needing to touch up the blade.
    The san mai steel blade processed 5 deer one afternoon and when finished, it would still shave hair off my arm over about 50% of the blade.
    I have no idea what steel these are made from.
    It turns out that corner near the tip of the blade works really well when skinning a deer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    Attachment 252368

My Marine Issue K-Bar is my favorite (even though I am a retired Sailor myself) For Folders I prefer Schrade Buck or Gerber
    I bought one of those when I was 12 or 13 for the outrageous sum of $35. Loved that knife! Carried it on my belt while riding my BMX bike. Oddly enough, it disappeared one day while I was at school. I suspect my mom. My Van Halen T-shirt also disappeared around the same time, lol.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

The cheap fixed blade that I referenced in the OP uses 7CR17MOV steel, which gets fairly good reviews...

https://besurvival.com/tips-and-tric...ou-should-care

7CR17MOV is a specially modified 440A stainless steel that contains more Vanadium than other steels.

So what does that mean for your average person? The benefits of added Vanadium is increased overall strength, increased wear resistance, and increased toughness. Meaning, you will be pleasantly surprised by how long the edge will last with 7CR17MoV steel.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

My dad gave me this Schrade Walden in 1977 for high school graduation. It has ridden in a succession of my pickups since. It holds an edge very well and outweighs an empty Glock.....

Moderator Emeritus

LB7, That's a big one !
    in the 1980s, I worked in a hardware store and that store sold them. I may still have one of those as well. BUT, I always prefered the LB5, I still have a couple of those.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have big (not humongous) hands and the 5" lock back like the buck 110 fits me well. I don't have any of the schrade versions, but like all other knives I don't have, I'm looking for one. I have a buck 426, which is a plastic handled 110 and it's balanced well and very light.

Banned
    I've always carried a swiss army knife since the 70's, often more. Feel naked w/o my trusty pocket knife.

I've been carrying a leatherman tool for 20 years. A wave or an original. Feel naked without it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Note about post 45........CPM S30V is the steel the blade is made from on the Spyderco mentioned. It is not the model of knife.

Reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPM_S30V_steel

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Note about post 45........CPM S30V is the steel the blade is made from on the Spyderco mentioned. It is not the model of knife.

Reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPM_S30V_steel
    My bad. In that case, I dont know the model, Bazoo! I'm missing my little Swiss knife since yesterday (dang khaki pants) so I'm getting a bit wobbly.......

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I carry these two every day and shudder without them. Swiss and USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My bad. In that case, I dont know the model, Bazoo! I'm missing my little Swiss knife since yesterday (dang khaki pants) so I'm getting a bit wobbly.......

It looks like the "Native"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast