RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Knives.

Banned

some may laugh at me but the knife I actually carry on me lately is one of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Outdoor-Edg...8EVw&gclsrc=ds Allways sharp and I carry a couple extra blades in the glove box of the jeep and pickup in case its ever needed. Ive gutted 3 deer in one night with the same blade and it still did great. Obviously razor sharp and a wicked self defense knife and it doesn't cost a 100 bucks. Don't get me wrong I still love a good knife but these are handy for most work and ive screwed up and snapped the blades off a few expensive knives in my life and these things are throw aways.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i have a huge pile of knives, and use them... everything from my Marine Kbars, kershaws, case's and so forth.. but my go to knives are the ones Charles Allen gave me about 15 years ago. he owns Knives of Alaska, and gave me one set of the Butcher kit, a twin pair of filet knives, and some others.... i guided him and his wife fishing many times we caught tons of silvers and reds. he owns a lodge not too far out of Cordova. i havent heard from him in years, but his butcher kit has a permanant place in my BackPack...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	554-E45-C7-932-A-476-D-B8-BE-79720-A5928-CC.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	252786

i would take an actual picture but its 5am, and my pack is out in the suv, and its nasty outside.... and I aint dressed..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I just found a relatively less expensive (40% cheaper than any other I've seen F/S) 1970's NIB Bench Mark Rolox knife, complete with box/papers/sheath.

It's a slider, and not a folder - I think it's gonna be my new EDC

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Talking Knives? I doan' need no steenkin' knives!

I have a friend, and he wanted to come by and show me his knife collection, one day. He came up the driveway in the rain, carrying a box...about a foot square, that looked HEAVY! It was stuffed full with an accumulation of unique knives that he had collected over the years. I made the appropriate comments, and then showed him my modest collection, and his early comment was "you have GOOD stuff!"

I was flattered, but all of my knives are definitely not high ticket. For folders, I have a CRKT MIRAGE. I couldn't believe they made a knife of that quality for what it sold for. Discontinued...probably because it was too expensive to make. I have a Kershaw OSO, and a RAT II, but, I generally carry my Swiss Army Knife Super Tinker. (I have a couple more SAKS, somewhere) I also have an old Schrade Sharpfinger drop point without guthook awaiting refurbishment...one of these days...
    Any or all of them are better than the switchblade knife I carried in my teens. Got it from a policeman Uncle, but it kept coming open in my pocket, which ended that quickly.

My "best" knife is a little Browning 3" Drop point, bought about 40 years ago, and my next is a Buck Vanguard, which I bought with the proceeds from selling a custom knife to my daughter as a wedding present for her husband. (Hey, I was paying for the wedding!)He and I both still have and use them, and it has been 20 years or so. My wife bought me a Schrade Golden Spike for Christmas just before they sold the business. I'll never sell any of them. Oh, I have a Mora somewhere, too!

Some of the ChiCom knives look intriguing, and as said, some have great reviews, and they are cheap!

My regrets: O yes, there are a couple... that I didn't buy the Gerber FS II D knife that I could have bought for $25 years ago. And...when I was in college, I was all set to buy a Randall Hunter, and a roommate said; "60 DOLLARS!...I'd never spend $60 on a KNIFE! Seeing as how I could eat for about $30/month back then, I listened to "reason", and have been kicking myself ever since! Ah, well; Such is Life!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    some may laugh at me but the knife I actually carry on me lately is one of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Outdoor-Edg...8EVw&gclsrc=ds Allways sharp and I carry a couple extra blades in the glove box of the jeep and pickup in case its ever needed. Ive gutted 3 deer in one night with the same blade and it still did great. Obviously razor sharp and a wicked self defense knife and it doesn't cost a 100 bucks. Don't get me wrong I still love a good knife but these are handy for most work and ive screwed up and snapped the blades off a few expensive knives in my life and these things are throw aways.
    That's one that goes into the mountains with me. Pretty useful knife in general.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Pietro, I've been researching that Sharp knife. Been looking on ebay for them. Been wanting one bad. Its got the right look to my eye. You gave it to me bad.

Here is some info I found about Hattori. Lots of familiar models made by him. That model, is the H109

http://hattoricollector.com/
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks, Bazoo - Happy Holidays ! !

Boolit Master

I bought a green one last fall. I have t used it yet. But figured its light cheap enough and will always be scalpel Sharp so whats to loose!!

Name:	BC2AD9A9-A6FC-4ADB-8702-9C55D428DC75.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	252924
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Pietro, I've been researching that Sharp knife. Been looking on ebay for them. Been wanting one bad. Its got the right look to my eye. You gave it to me bad.

Here is some info I found about Hattori. Lots of familiar models made by him. That model, is the H109

http://hattoricollector.com/
    Why do you guys do this to us. Now I really want one of his knives. That first folder in the article is especially appealing to me.

Update: Disregard, that Sigil folder runs around $2k...never in my life will I spend that much on a knife though I would have to assume it’s worth it.
    Last edited by StuBach; 12-13-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Thanks, Bazoo - Happy Holidays ! !

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you sir.

Banned

yup it would make a heck of a self defense knife too. Like you said it would about be like getting slashed with a scalpel. Tell you another trick. I cut up LOTS of deer every year. I quarter them with saws and normal knives but to bone out meat and cut out muscle groups the best tool ive found is one of those razor knives with snap off blades. there flexible and obviously razor sharp and you can toss the blade when it even starts to show signs of not being razor sharp. I tried the outdoor edge this year to see if it would work better but the flexibility of the snap off blade razor cutter just works better then the stiff outdoor edge knife. But they sure do work slick to unzip a deer and get the guts out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I bought a green one last fall. I have t used it yet. But figured its light cheap enough and will always be scalpel Sharp so whats to loose!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Why do you guys do this to us. Now I really want one of his knives. That first folder in the article is especially appealing to me.

Update: Disregard, that Sigil folder runs around $2k...never in my life will I spend that much on a knife though I would have to assume it’s worth it.
    Good Lord, 2k, that's crazy! Imagine sending that one through the wash.

I feel like pietro is responsible, I'm just the messenger. I want several of them bad. The kershaw 1007 boot knife, and several of the hunters. Of the hunters I've priced, the sharp branded one is the most reasonable. Seen one for 130.00. Ain't got the extra right now for it though.

I did score a Sharp DF-40 for 13 shipped off ebay. Looks like a 4" boning/utility knife. I've been looking for one that size as the boning knife I have is too large and the filet knife is too long and pointy for some things. Best I can tell it's made by Hattori but I'm not 100% sure. I'll see how it holds up.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I bought a green one last fall. I have t used it yet. But figured its light cheap enough and will always be scalpel Sharp so whats to loose!!

Those are way to practical to post about in public , you guys are showing a shameless breach of etiquette .

Boolit Master
    90+% of the time I’m carrying a Spyderco, but I have a couple of Benchmades that I used to carry. My deer knife is usually a Beretta Loveless hunter or more recently an Entrek javelina. Pretty much all the traditional slip joint knives I own were either gifts or inherited.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

That beretta loveless was made by hattori, been eyeballing them for years.

Guys: simply strapping your Razor knife blades on the inside of an Old belt or better yet a razor strap will return them to their original sharpness in about 3-5 swipes on each side.

I have been resharpening my Hairdressers $400+ Shears for years. The Blades on these Shears are Razor sharp and all I do is strap them on an old belt that has been charged with diamond compound. You only work the outside of the blades as removing anything from the inside only shortens the life of the shears.

The main enemy of these tools is dirt and that is why most Hairdressers always wash your hair before cutting it.

Another tool worth having is one of the "Ken Onion" versions of the "Worksharp Machine." After you get the hang of using one they will produce a Razor Edge quickly and easily and more importantly,,, Repeatably! IE: you can do it the same way twice in a row.

I have every type of sharpening stone known to man and made Custom Knives back in the mid 80's. Crock sticks and similar devices are my go to tools when I need a quick touch up.

Here's pics of my 2 favorites,,, the Long One was #1,,, and the Short One was #1 of that style. Both made of 154 CM at 62 Rc and took me a month to sharpen using Arkansas Stones. The initial edges were put on in 1984-5 and these knives have never been sharpened again. Both could use a touch up but it would only take a minute to get them back to Shaving Edges.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

W. R.
    Those are Very Nice Looking Knives.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

I feel like pietro is responsible.

OOPS ! !

I misspelt my handle - it's: "the pusher man" ...…….

Last edited by pietro; 12-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I carry one at work. It does a yeoman's duty but I have no desire to clean gore from a lock blade again. Fixed blade for me for hunting until I die. The marbles drop point in my avatar has done 4 deer in a day without a touch up, and I split the ribcage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

oh I have some nice knives. even a couple randalls and a few custom Damascus knives. But I also loose and break knives and a 30 dollar knife still gets it done and if I loose it can cheaply be replaced. Add to that that you can sit with your stone for 4 hours and still not have a blade as sharp as one of these. Sure the edge doesn't hold up as long but in less then a minute you can swap blades. Im no snob. Might be out to the range one day with a 1500 dollar Kimber and the next with a high point carbine. I use what works and those knives just work.
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Those are way to practical to post about in public , you guys are showing a shameless breach of etiquette .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast