RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Knives.

Boolit Master

Knives.

Do you buy only the best, only cheap stuff, or a little bit of both?

The most I've spent on a knife was in 1988 at the Navy Exchange in Pearl Harbor. Bought a Gerber BMF fixed blade for $110. Figured if I couldn't be armed while exploring the islands, then I would have the biggest, baddest survival knife I could get.

Still have it and it's in remarkably good condition. Something of a collector's item now and worth much more than I paid for it.

Attachment 252222

Over the years, I mainly had decent quality Buck knives. About ten years ago I bought a Benchmade Griptillian folder and have been very happy with it. Picked up a commemorative Spyderco as well. Both were under a hundred bucks.

My main hunting/hiking/camping knife is an Ontario Knife Works Rat 5 that was $60. Beefy, heavy and has worked great.

Attachment 252221

Then a couple of years ago, I was shopping for an ESEE 3 to give to my son for Christmas and found a cheap Chinese knockoff on Amazon for under $20. It got rave reviews, so I got one for myself and the ESEE for him. The cheap knife turned out to be excellent and has successfully processed an elk and a couple of deer with no damage and retaining it's sharpness remarkably well.

Attachment 252220

Most of the time for work and bumming around town, I have a cheap WalMart folder in my pocket and haven't had any complaints. Often times I have a small Swiss Army knife instead.

I know some guys are into the custom made knives and spend hundreds of dollars on them. I never have, but I can appreciate the beauty and ultimate performance they offer. I love watching the show Forged in Fire!

Was thinking about buying another knife for a Christmas present this year and it got me to thinking about knives in general and curious as to what other folks have and use.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    My favorite carry knives are Kershaw and SOG. All time favorite is #3 from top which is a Kershaw Leek (thin, assisted open, sharp and light). I even liked it so much I got all the wedding party members one at my wedding (sale on Amazon made it affordable, hard to find them that cheap now sadly).

I’m fond of carrying the box cutter at work cause it comes in handy and I just replace the blade rather than having to sharpen.

Threw in my old Spyderco for comparison.

I mostly go for knives in the quality and price range of vintage Schrade, Buck, and Case. The Buck Vanguard 192 is my favorite in size and style. The uncle henry 171 pro hunter looks nice although I don't have one.

Cheap knives offer little in the way of quality normally so I avoid them. A mora companion for 15.00 is a good inexpensive knife I'm not afraid to lose.

I don't really like high end knives. I recognize the craftsmanship and the quality but I can't justify the cost. I've not seen any that had the proportions better than the Buck 192 either. I'd rather have a knife that looks "right" to me and is medium quality, than one with credentials that would make y'all swoon but doesn't please my eye or fit my hand. Ease of resharpening is more important than edge retention to me, and most custom or high end knives have some super steel that's equally super hard to sharpen.

Boolit Master
    I have a small pile of knives, from a knife the NRA sent, to an old stainless steel dress knife by Barlow that is very good. I bought it to cut bait once when I went to Carabelle on a fishing trip. I'm still amazed at how well it holds an edge. My fixed blade is a Cold Steel, there are several Gerber folders that do not have the serrated blades. I have two nice Kershaw knives that age dated, I bought them at Walmart. The reason there are two is because I thought I lost one. They also keep an edge. That's last one I bought was in Smoky Mountains Knife Works in Sevierville. It was a Kershaw on sale from $70 or so to $16.

I have a beautiful patch knife that was hand made and given to me maybe 20 years ago. It resides in my possibles bag.

I have a few Case knives and some of the three blades folders. I tried counting them a few months ago but had to stop because I ran out of fingers......

I have to walk by the knife displays. Most of the time there are these stupid looking things that look like something from a comic book. But every now and then........
    Last edited by Tom W.; 12-01-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I used to carry a benchmade mini griptilian, but after so much playing with it I broke the springs plus the blade coating was wearing and getting ugly, so I got a benchmade 707 a few years ago, its $140 but I like everything about it, the profile is a comfortable size similar to kershaw leek, and the mechanics of how it feels opening and how it feels putting your hand in your pocket while its clipped on is the best of anything ive carried.

think the most expensive thing I bought is the benchmade 51 butterfly knife. but their butterflys only go up in value, I bought it for 220 and they sell for 285 now with a 335 retail. its kinda useless other than to play with and enjoy the craftsmanship.

Boolit Master

EDC is a Benchmade Griptilian for about the last 10 years or so before that I had a lot of Buck 110's My hunting knife is a Puma that grampa gave my dad and he gave to me about 40 years ago I need to give this to my Son just having a hard time letting it go
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I carry a kershaw 3410. I used to have to tighten the pivot screw about once a month but blue locktite solved that problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Every...5250983&sr=8-1
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    I've carried a Spyderco for 20+ years. Absolutely kills me to be knife less when the wife and I take a trip (short of checking a bag). I've bought innumerable small folders over the years in 2 dozen states and half that many countries. Funny thing is I have always had no problem giving the cheapie to a hotel concierge or bell hop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a few knives, but my new in the box Benchmade 9000 auto is the most unusual...

Boolit Buddy
    My every day carry is an Old timer 3 blade folding pocket knife, would be completely lost without it. I have carried a pocket knife since about 4th grade, it was rite of passage for a boy to be given his first knife. My hunting knife is a Buck 110, pretty early vintage, found it laying on top of a rock up in the Big Horn mountains about 1970. It has dressed more than its share of deer and elk.

New people in hunting camps tend to laugh at my little knives, until the the critters are on the ground and the knives are are put to work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Too many to list and they are all my favorite. Gave Henkeles away as wedding gifts to the wedding party. When I travel, I have a few good knives that I don't care if I don't come back with. Travel today is miserable. As a high school kid, I came back from England with an English military sword in my carry-on luggage. (Stepped on the plane and stored it where they were keeping umbrellas.). I always had a knife on flights until the 9-11 tragedy. So now if I have to go where no knives are permitted, I can ditch my cheapy and keep moving. Have even pre-made out a mailer all ready to use if I have to give up my knife somewhere.

Boolit Master

I have a Buck Folding Hunter that I bought in the 80's and carried on my belt in high school. My how times have changed...

I broke the tip off skinning a nice whitetail buck. I've been meaning to send it to Buck for years to have it fixed.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

When I was younger and a new deputy sheriff with a family, I could not afford a good custom knife. Used a Buck 110 folder for years as my hunting knife. After retirement I learned to make custom knives for hunting and got good enough to sell them in the 200-300 dollar range. It help that my knives were good looking and comfortable in the hand and it helped also that customers raved about the sharpness and how it kept that sharpness for dressing out and skinning 4-5 deer or 2 elk and 2 deer without getting dull. I use S30V stainless steel that many knife experts called it "super steel" when CPM first brought it out.
    But there is one draw back that one member mentioned above. You have to know how to sharpen it when it finally gets dull and you need to use a grinding belt system, such as "WorkSharp" or diamond stones as it is very abrasive resistant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0220.jpg   000_0254.jpg  

Boolit Master

I like knives too! Buck, Spydero, Cold Steel, Cutco, Camillus, old ol’timer, Ka bar and others.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

For me I tend to stay on the inexpensive side . My edc is an ontario rat 2 bought it maybe 10 years ago does all I ask of it , I have several mora knives all carbon blades sharp as razors for my fixed blade needs. If I need to go big and chop and hack on something I have a usmc Ka bar if that don't do it I have a tomahawk and belt axe
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    What, y'all only carry one knife? I've got three on myself rit now! A Buck hearts hook necker in S30V, my package and box opener, a Case Barlow in SS, it's my eating/ food prep knife, and a Benchmade Osborne 940 in S90V with carbon fiber scales, just in case a more serious need arises. These are my EDC work carry. Around the homestead it a Benchmade Griptilion and a Case folder. I've probably got over 200 knives ranging from free to over $300. I like my knives, I have the setup to keep them razor sharp, and I'm a steel snob. Don't start on axes and hatchets!

Boolit Grand Master

I thought that I wanted to collect knives at one time. I quickly figured out that the knife thing was getting into my gun, reloading and shooting budget! But I still had a couple hundred before I started thinning them out.

My everyday carry knife is a smaller Swiss Army knife. My skinning knife was a custom made from D2 steel with paper makarda handles. Its kind of a disappointment, as its hard to sharpen and seems to get dull quickly. I've recently bought 2 Moro knives to replace it but have not had the opportunity to use them yet. They came from Amazon and cost less than $20 for the pair.

I carry 2-3 knives normally. Usually a belt knife, either my buck 110 or buck 192, and a pocket knife, either a case stainless trapper or an old timer 34OT. That doesn't count the leatherman original that I'm never without.

Boolit Master
    D2 is a strange beast. I think the heat treatment had a lot to do with how it works in a knife. I've heard D2 as hard to put a good edge on, don't take a fine edge, but holds a poor edge forever! I've got a few D2 blades I'm fond of, and find diamond hones work better than belts for sharpening D2 to a fine edge.

For hunting, I carry either a Cold Steel or Buck fixed blade. With either blade I can skin deer or squirrels, plus they hold the edge well.
    For everyday use I carry a Victorinox Swiss army knife. The blades are easy to sharpen but don't hold the edge long. I use the other tools included with the blades regularly. Very useful knife.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast