Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Shilo products steak buster .58

Boolit Mold

Shilo products steak buster .58

Hi folks , I've been searching hi and low for the .58 625 gr shilo steak bust mold or anyone who may be willing to cast some up, I missed my one chance on eBay ....by 5 minutes lol , anyhow thank you and happy shooting

Thought about having the nose recut on an old 575213 mold?
    Over the years I've kinda wondered why people didn't do the same thing to make a WFN or SWC for hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Thought about having the nose recut on an old 575213 mold?
    Over the years I've kinda wondered why people didn't do the same thing to make a WFN or SWC for hunting.
    Both Lee and Rapine made a "wad cutter" minie mold that is quite accurate when matched to the barrel. Both are out of production. Rapine because he died, Lee because they discontinued it in anything other than 50cal. I guess you could modify a 575213 and it'd be interesting how it shoots.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Maybe just machining straight through using the lube grooves for guidance on the diameter would work OK.
    Surely it would make a WFN for your fave .58 Special!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stake buster.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	252423

Maybe just machining straight through using the lube grooves for guidance on the diameter would work OK.
    Surely it would make a WFN for your fave .58 Special!

Name:	stake buster.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	252423

Boolit Buddy

Paul
    Try the BB at N-SSA.org. We don't shoot the stake much anymore so there should be something available. Pretty sure it was designed for the N-SSA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dave951 View Post
    Both Lee and Rapine made a "wad cutter" minie mold that is quite accurate when matched to the barrel. Both are out of production. Rapine because he died, Lee because they discontinued it in anything other than 50cal. I guess you could modify a 575213 and it'd be interesting how it shoots.
    Moose Moulds makes a wadcutter identical to the Rapine but it's only 315 grains. They also make a trashcan that's around 460 gr. I shoot a Rapine wadcutter in both .58 and .69 cal(500 gr.) muskets.They are very accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    Moose Moulds makes a wadcutter identical to the Rapine but it's only 315 grains. They also make a trashcan that's around 460 gr. I shoot a Rapine wadcutter in both .58 and .69 cal(500 gr.) muskets.They are very accurate.
    In order to get our nomenclature correct- Yes, I have the Rapine "trashcan" mold and it is a true "wadcutter" profile as is the Lee. What they're calling a wadcutter is actually a truncated cone nose aka semi wadcutter.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dave951 View Post
    In order to get our nomenclature correct- Yes, I have the Rapine "trashcan" mold and it is a true "wadcutter" profile as is the Lee. What they're calling a wadcutter is actually a truncated cone nose aka semi wadcutter.
    I think that when Ray made them, he listed them as semi wadcutters.

The Rapine .69 would have been too small for my Armisport bore or else it would have been a fine mold to have.
    A possibility would be reworking a set of third hand 575213OS blocks, increasing the diameter. But, I have a corrected set of 68569 blocks and an expanded #57730 that gets paper patched so the bases are covered.

On the stake buster, Erik at hollowpointmold.com might be able to do a precision alteration on a mold for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    The Rapine .69 would have been too small for my Armisport bore or else it would have been a fine mold to have.
    A possibility would be reworking a set of third hand 575213OS blocks, increasing the diameter. But, I have a corrected set of 68569 blocks and an expanded #57730 that gets paper patched so the bases are covered.

On the stake buster, Erik at hollowpointmold.com might be able to do a precision alteration on a mold for you.
    Moose makes it in .695 to accommodate oversize Armi bores.

Yeah, I recommember seeing that mold somewhere. Was real tempting. Here's what I ended up with; bands bigger diameter and the front increased to give a longer barrel alignment. Also an extra pin for a little thicker skirt.

Name:	sizer and dowel.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	252571

"Bout ten years or so ago was using paper patched from a converted #57730.

Name:	patched.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	252572

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When you do your search - it's not "steak" - it is "stake". I no longer have the mold but we used to shoot a lot of these years ago when I was shooting N-SSA for the stake cutting competition. Take a look at the Lee molds at
    Titan - I don't remember if Lee makes a flat nose HB mold in .575 or not. I can remember - and this is well over 50 years ago - when a lot of the fellows I shot with in N-SSA went crazy over finding the "perfect" mold for the "perfect" mini for doing the stake chopping event. I was young and just didn't have the $$ for it but looking back on it, I really don't think that they were that spectacular. I had a guy give me a mold and I tried it - once - and just went back to the standard minie. I can remember some guys even going to 69 caliber for that event as they thought the "extra weight/bulk" would make faster work of it. In those days, there were very few reproductions other than the Remington Zouave so many of us were shooting originals In their quest to find more bulk/weight in the minie, most had to give up accuracy when the went to .69 as most were smoothbores.

If you are bent on having the stake chopping minie and can't find a mold - follow the suggestion of altering a standard .58 HB mold such as the Ideal/Lyman. You ought to be able to pick up a set of blocks at a reasonable price and have them machined to remove the nose to make a flat nosed minie - the sprue plate will produce the flat nose and the sprue to cut will still be the same. Good luck and have fun.