Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Boolit Suggestions for Henry Big Boy 357 Carbine

Moderator Emeritus

Boolit Suggestions for Henry Big Boy 357 Carbine

If you have one or done the research I would like to know your suggestion for a cast boolit for this gun. I cast 358429 (Keith Style) but I suspect that it will not load very well if at all......So please throw your 2 cents worth in for a boolit to fit this carbine (or rifle).......along with your load info if ya wanna share it!

Thanks in advance and soon off to testing and playing! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

You are correct in thinking the 358429 can be problematic.
    My best results as far as feeding and accuracy were with the Lee 358-158-RNFP. I suspect nearly any RNFP would work well though.

Boolit Master
    MP makes a mold with 2 crimp grooves that I believe is called "Carbine". 180 grain solid, and 170ish with the large HP pins.

Just getting into MP molds, but they are nice! The 357 mold I bought was the Hammer. It has dropped very accurate bullets. The only problem I'm having is just finding the correct sizer, so not really a problem at all just gotta spend a few more dollars. I only shoot cast bullets from my revolvers and the FA83's can be picky on sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    .......My best results as far as feeding and accuracy were with the Lee 358-158-RNFP. I suspect nearly any RNFP would work well though.
    This!

I don't personally cast, but I have a good friend that did for several years. He kept me well supplied with the LEE 358-158 RNFP. Through the last 9 years of my short re-loading experience, I've tried quite a few commercial cast as well as jacketed .357 bullets and none of them have been as accurate (on paper) as the LEE. A couple of the JHP bullets were close, but still not the same as the (somewhat inferior cast quality) LEE. I wish I could find this bullet from a commercial vendor, but haven't yet.

jd

I have the rifle version and mine likes the Lee 158 FN or RCBS 38-158 CM. I haven’t done a lot of testing yet, but it shoots minute of turtle at my pond. I plan on more testing in the spring and need to cast with the previously mentioned MP carbine mould along with several others from him.
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 12-01-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    This!

I don't personally cast, but I have a good friend that did for several years. He kept me well supplied with the LEE 358-158 RNFP. Through the last 9 years of my short re-loading experience, I've tried quite a few commercial cast as well as jacketed .357 bullets and none of them have been as accurate (on paper) as the LEE. A couple of the JHP bullets were close, but still not the same as the (somewhat inferior cast quality) LEE. I wish I could find this bullet from a commercial vendor, but haven't yet.

jd
    i also shoot a lot of commercial cast , and have found that the quality of most is not near as good as what I cast myself , so for plinkers and short range casual paper punching i use commercial and for more serious shooting I use my cast and what I consider to be better designed boolits .
    My point is that the quality of the bullets' your friend cast may make as much difference as the bullet design.

Just about any RNFP should work well. Lyman 358665 is a pretty nice one. I also shoot an arsenal mold "138 max" that drops a 133 grain RNFP that shoots very, very accurately. I imagine the Lee 125 grain RNFP would also shoot pretty well. If we are talking about full powered 357 mag loads, pick boolits with a gas check.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I use a NOE 155gr that is designed for 9mm. It has a flat nose but sort of a taper that feeds nicely when PC'd
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...gne0cbhn11j411

Loren

Boolit Master
    I use the old Ideal 358156GC in my Henry 357-- loads smooth and shoots great. Lee makes a nice 150 grain roundnose that also works very well.
    Hick: Iron sights!