Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Scalloped potatoes

Scalloped potatoes

With all the talk about scalloped potatoes for Thanksgiving in the Humor thread, I thought I would start a thread here and hope some of you guys and gals would post your recipe. I will start off with how we make ours.

In a 9" x 13" oiled pan, start off with a layer of potatoes.
    Slice up about a quarter onion.
    Slice and dice a quarter can of Spam. Yes Spam, we like Spam.
    Lay on some cheese, we use American.
    Salt and pepper between layers.
    Repeat layering until pan is relatively full.
    Pour milk over the whole meal until almost full, but leave enough room for possible boil over.
    Cover the pan with foil, sealing relatively tight.
    Cook at 350 degrees for two to three hours, unsealing the foil for the last half hour or so.
    If there is any leftovers, it is really good the next day.

Okay, your turn.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by coloraydo View Post
    With all the talk about scalloped potatoes for Thanksgiving in the Humor thread, I thought I would start a thread here and hope some of you guys and gals would post your recipe. I will start off with how we make ours.

In a 9" x 13" oiled pan, start off with a layer of potatoes.
    Slice up about a quarter onion.
    Slice and dice a quarter can of Spam. Yes Spam, we like Spam.
    Lay on some cheese, we use American.
    Salt and pepper between layers.
    Repeat layering until pan is relatively full.
    Pour milk over the whole meal until almost full, but leave enough room for possible boil over.
    Cover the pan with foil, sealing relatively tight.
    Cook at 350 degrees for two to three hours, unsealing the foil for the last half hour or so.
    If there is any leftovers, it is really good the next day.

Okay, your turn.
    Sounds delicious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Basically the same except we use ham and instead of plain milk we make a cream sauce using butter milk and flour, oh man now I'm hungry!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

The way we make them is to make a cheese sauce using flour, butter, grated mild cheddar, milk and fried ham or bacon bits(fresh, not the bottled stuff). Make a roux blanc with the butter and flour. About 2 tbsp butter and 2-3 tbsp flour. Add about 1&1/2 cups milk and when it gets hot, start adding about 2 tbsp of grated cheese at a time, stir until the cheese is incorporated, add a little more until you like the looks of it. Heat over medium burner until the mixture thickens. Pour over seasoned potatoes, onions, and meat mixture. Cover with foil and bake for about 35-45 minutes. Take the foil off and let the top make a good crust. Cheese sauce can be used over lots of veggies. Cabbage wedges, cauliflower, etc. First time you make it, it will be a little difficult, but the more you practice, the easier and better it will be. Or, the easier way is to take Velveeta and melt in the microwave and add a little milk, stir it in and reheat, until you have the right consistency. I prefer the stove top kind.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Take 3 or 4 large potatoes and slice them pretty thin- a mandolin makes short work of this. Dice a medium yellow onion. Grate 1 pound of sharp cheddar.

Now, butter a 9x13 Pyrex dish. Start layering potatoes, cheese, onions, and sprinkle 2 or 3 teaspoons (not the measuring type but the ones you use to stir your coffee) of flour all over each layer. Repeat until you load the pan, but finish with cheese on top. Then pour in just enough milk until you see it JUST peek through the cheese. Bake at 375* until it is bubbly and passes the fork test- maybe 45 minutes- let it cool and rest for a few and then dig in!

FYI- Mom made it just like this up to her passing, but she added a little salt and lots of black pepper. She also added about a (measuring) teaspoon of fresh-grated nutmeg to the middle layer. I guess that was the German in her.
    Last edited by Todd N.; 12-02-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Layer up alternating potatoes and Spam sprinkle in a little grated cheddar cheese and some milk, bake until the potatoes are tender. Fit for a king!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Layer up alternating potatoes and Spam sprinkle in a little grated cheddar cheese and some milk, bake until the potatoes are tender. Fit for a king!
    Yea buddy. Looking good.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Moderator Emeritus

Add cheese and you just made potatoes au gratin...

Boolit Master
    Might not sound like much,but for a good breakfast meal. I can of regular span,I've used the bacon spam or hickory spam also. Slice and dice into small chunks, start that frying 1 st. 4 eggs well strired until all yellow mix it with the fried spam the grease from the spam will allow the eggs not to stick. While all this is going on throw some hash fries onto a small baking pan with a good coat of spray cooking oil. Keep stiring the hash browns and when the eggs and spam are just about done throw in the hash browns and mix all together. When the whole frying pan is done large platter will be big enough. have some hoagie rolls salt and pepper and you are in for a treat. The original recipie can be added to with more spam, hash browns. and eggs. Semi soft butter for the rolls if you want. Semi soft just stick in the microwave. Good large cup of coffee with some half and half. No body will be getting up before its all gone. I hate cooking anything that takes longer than 45 minutes so should be done by then. My dad just fried the bacon and threw the eggs in. Mixed it all up and there was breakfast. First time I made it like that the kids wouldn't touch it. but I sure as heck did. Forget cholorestrol if your worried about that go out and graze like the cows do. Frank