Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Went rabbit hunting

Boolit Master

Went rabbit hunting

Well I needed to get out for some woods time this morning. Decided to take the little Flight King 410 and see about getting a couple rabbits. First thing I see is a fairly decent buck, obviously interested only in does at the expense of living to an old age. I wasn’t interested in shooting him, so we wandered along a parallel course for 100 yards or so. Actually was the second thing, because I had just shot the first “rabbit” and was picking it up when I saw the deer, bucks are STUPID when they got female on the brain. Anyway after about an hour I got 3 shots and collected these 3 funny looking rabbits. I know they are rabbits because I went rabbit hunting, but the long tails and short ears?????
    Anyway was a nice couple hours outside, and they are in the fridge awaiting supper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B9FB241-5E52-4062-AE77-BB0234CDB5F1.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	252175
    Oh, load info Winchester 3 inch #6 factory, cause I got a bunch. Sorry bout the sideways???
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I'm glad you were able to see through those rabbit's disguises.......

Banned

Never really cared for the way rabbits taste. I do like squirrels and in my opinion, more fun to hunt anyway.

Sounds like a good time. Couple of weeks ago at a gun show, I passed on a Flite King in 20 gauge that in retrospect, I might should have bought. They have a strong following of people who think they are the best pump shotgun ever made.

Bucks aresnt the only males that lose all sense around females of their species! Don't ask me how I come to that realization! I do like the taste of rabbit, Elmer Fudd

Boolit Master

He he he
    Great picture,
    What ammo were you using?
    Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I don’t feel the Flight King is in the class of a Winchester M42 but it’s a close race with a Wingmaster. The Flight King is very undervalued for what you get! Those three are well beyond any other 410 pump gun in my mind. I was thinking today that I should not have passed on a 20ga High Standard a while back. They are smooth cycling with a good balance and pointability, hard to find fault especially for the prices they bring.
    I like both squirrels and rabbit, slight preference for squirrels.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Hey Mike, I bought a flat of various 3 inch 420s at an auction for 40$ a while back. These were Winchester Super X #6. Worked well and I keep my loaders setup for smaller shot.

I hunt those short eared rabbits too and they are sneaky little buggers. Always hiding in trees which makes it tuff on the beagle to run them.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I bought this little Stoeger 410 double gun for my kids back in 2007.

My kids and I killed quite a few rabbits with it back then but sadly it has sat in the back of the safe for several years.

3” number 6 shot will nail the coffin shut with ease on close range jacks and cotton tails .

One of my big regrets in a lifetime of gun trading is when I let a Flite King 28 gauge pump go. I LIKE your .410.

Mossburg 500 have 410 in 3" that I like, beside my Savage model 24 of 22/410 also. If you might like to see for a pump.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I would grab one in 28 in a heartbeat! I picked this one up as “parts” in a local shop. Barrel was bent and it didn’t cycle. I found a barrel on fleabay but never put it on. Really only took a few minutes to straighten, wasn’t a bad bend. Amazing how much junk can build up in a gun, all it needed was a good cleaning and cycles like corn thru a goose. Only thing about it is I can’t just slip the shell into the mag like on a M42. Takes some fiddling to get the 2nd one in the tube. Kinda slides around on the case head. Shooting skeet I never notice, no biggie and it points well. Being it’s choked “full” it kills well when well pointed. considered opening it up to light mid for skeet, but I like hunting with it as is.

Hey, kids a 410 and rabbit hunting!!! Don’t get any better, but that is one big bunny!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    I bought this little Stoeger 410 double gun for my kids back in 2007.

My kids and I killed quite a few rabbits with it back then but sadly it has sat in the back of the safe for several years.

3” number 6 shot will nail the coffin shut with ease on close range jacks and cotton tails .
    Great pics! Looks like a fun outing.

When I was stationed at Fort Bliss about 30 years ago, it seemed the only animals that thrived there were coyotes, rattlesnakes and jack rabbits. I didn't hunt much then, but always wondered about those big jacks, they sure looked like they'd be fun (and maybe frustrating) to hunt. Man but they can move when motivated to.

The old timers around here say Kansas used to have a lot of them but does not now for some reason. I've only ever seen one here and it was north and west of my by quite a bit. Western Kansas is pretty different environment wise, maybe they still have them in number out there.

It is news worth telling your neighbor about around here( to see a jackrabbit). We hunted them often in the 1970s but like bobwhite quail they are pretty much gone with the wind around here.

Boolit Master
    Our quail are gone due to changing farming practices, as the biggest contributor. Last I was in Texas there was lots of land and cover, wonder what happened to the jackrabbits??? Never thought about it, till reading your post, but I have only seen one jack, was at the NSSA range in San Antonio. Man he had huge ears! A good bit of hiking just south of Austin and I saw none. Sure wish the quail were still around, been decades since I flushed a wild covey. Our cottontails seem pretty scarce as well, like yesterday! I see more deer than rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    One of my big regrets in a lifetime of gun trading is when I let a Flite King 28 gauge pump go. I LIKE your .410.
    I went to a Amish farm auction a couple years ago because there were about 30 guns to be auctioned and one was a Flite King 28 ga. plain barrel.
    That was the only gun I was interested in and I thought I would go as high as $300 for it. My idea was those Amish are pretty practical and with the price of 28 ga. ammo they wouldn't be to interested. To my amazement the opening bid was $300 and quickly went up and sold for $ 550.00
    I owned one in 12 ga. when I was a teenager and with my extra hot reloads I broke the single slide bar that operates the bolt. I had it welded and eventually traded it.
    I would love to have one now in 410 or 28 ga.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 12-01-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Man
    I have a Model 500 Mossberg 410, that I bought when a local Walmart was going out of the gun business, for $125.00. I love it for those short eared long tailed rabbits. It is a pleasure to carry at a mere 5 pounds. Keep yer powder dry...…….robin

We bought the kids a Moss 500 410 years ago when they were young. They had fun with it though I know I have used it WAY more than they did and every time I shoot it I like it more. Just a fun no kick shotgun.

The ammo is way too expensive to buy, but can be reloaded for almost nothing