RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger .44 Special Flattop Bisley-Review

Boolit Buddy

Ruger .44 Special Flattop Bisley-Review

You fellows helped talk me into this one (Not that it took a lot of effort to do so, Ha, ha!). Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the review!

Howard

Boolit Master

Looks like you got a good one and vary nice shooting
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Very informative and realistic review. GOOD JOB
    In my experience Rugers tend to benefit a great deal from a total disassembly to clean and deburr in a lot of places when new and smooth up nicely. My stainless 4.6" 44 Bisley had to have a taller front sight to get zeroed ,looks like yours did well with just adjustment , nice.
    Thanks for the video.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Looks like you got a good one and vary nice shooting
    Thank you!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Very informative and realistic review. GOOD JOB
    In my experience Rugers tend to benefit a great deal from a total disassembly to clean and deburr in a lot of places when new and smooth up nicely. My stainless 4.6" 44 Bisley had to have a taller front sight to get zeroed ,looks like yours did well with just adjustment , nice.
    Thanks for the video.

You are most welcome. Thanks for watching!

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice review, Howard. Love the jacket and hat, (brilliant minds think alike) I have a similar coat and hat, myself.
    I've had my eye on those bisley-framed 44's for sometime, but I can't really justify another gun at this time.

I've had a Ruger Flattop with the traditional plow handle grip for about 7 years now, and it is one of my favorite woods-walking guns. The only complaint I had was with the ill-fitting grips. Why Ruger can't put a decent fitting grip on their single-action revolvers I can't figure out, given that the Italian Manufacturers manage to do a pretty good job on guns that cost less, but that has been true of every Ruger SA I have bought in the last 10 years (7 including this one). Mine did not exhibit the binding that you describe, which I think is related to the transfer bar, but It has slicked up with use. I have about 1800 rounds through mine, and it is one of my favorites. The accuracy is exceptional. It is well worth spending the money on a trigger job.

The Skeeter Load is what mine is sighted in for, but I have actually shot more NOE 432-232 WC boolits. 4.5 grains of Red Dot and big bore shooting fun abounds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	252164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	252165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	252167
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0768.jpg  
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-30-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Great Job Howard, I have the same Ruger , your load( Skeeter Skelton) Is good in mine also, but ( Power Pistol ) is my go too load . Thank you for another great video . Best regards Frank

Another excellent video.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Nice review, Howard. Love the jacket and hat, (brilliant minds think alike) I have a similar coat and hat, myself.
    I've had my eye on those bisley-framed 44's for sometime, but I can't really justify another gun at this time.

I've had a Ruger Flattop with the traditional plow handle grip for about 7 years now, and it is one of my favorite woods-walking guns. The only complaint I had was with the ill-fitting grips. Why Ruger can't put a decent fitting grip on their single-action revolvers I can't figure out, given that the Italian Manufacturers manage to do a pretty good job on guns that cost less, but that has been true of every Ruger SA I have bought in the last 10 years (7 including this one). Mine did not exhibit the binding that you describe, which I think is related to the transfer bar, but It has slicked up with use. I have about 1800 rounds through mine, and it is one of my favorites. The accuracy is exceptional. It is well worth spending the money on a trigger job.

The Skeeter Load is what mine is sighted in for, but I have actually shot more NOE 432-232 WC boolits. 4.5 grains of Red Dot and big bore shooting fun abounds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	252164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	252165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	252167
    Thank you! I really like the Skeeter load. It will do 90% of anything you can reasonably ask of a handgun. I'm hoping that hitch in the action goes away with use. Otherwise I might be sending my Bisley back to Ruger. In any case, I need to find a good gunbelt for it!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    Great Job Howard, I have the same Ruger , your load( Skeeter Skelton) Is good in mine also, but ( Power Pistol ) is my go too load . Thank you for another great video . Best regards Frank

Thank you Frank!

Howard

Boolit Master

Always informative, clean and concise.
    Howard, you do an excellent job everytime.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I agree and am subscribed to your channel. Keep up the good work.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Thank you!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I agree and am subscribed to your channel. Keep up the good work.
    Will do! Thanks for watching and thanks for the subscription!

Howard

Moderator Emeritus

Howard....always loved the 44 Special....carried S&W 29 for years on the streets.....used the Speer Lawman 200 gr bullet....but practiced with the 44 Special and cast Lyman 429421 (Keith) bullets with 10 gr. of Unique. Thanks for the first class review of Ruger Flattop Revolver!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Howard, an excellent video.

I own that exact same model FT: my 1st. .44 spec & is one of my favorites. Mine did not have the rough spot on cocking that you described. I must admit that I haven't tried the SS load. For 50 yd. chickens I find the Lyman 429421, SAECO 441, H&G 45 & Accurate 43-210A to be equally accurate with a variety of powders. My favorite is the 43-210A with WST: a very mild load that will tip over the chickens if I do my part (also controllable in my GP100 3" SS).

Henry

Boolit Master
    Very nice.
    I happen to enjoy my Rugers quite a bit,, and I have a few of the 1st run of the 44 Spl's Lipsey;s put out. They are not the Bisley's.

I would like to offer a POLITE clarification to a few comments you made.
    You mentioned the front sight, ramped,, and dark. Wishing for a contrast. You mentioned replacement front sights, to include fiber optics. While this is true to a degree,, you should have clarified that the changes to a BLUED gun would not be easy. You have to either remove, & re-solder a front sight, then re-blue the gun. Or mill off the blade, grooving & drilling the base, and then add a pinned front sight replacement blade. The Stainless models have an easily replaced front sight blade by just removing the blade insert. Quite often, many folks desire a different front sight and for blued guns this isn't as easy as a stainless gun.
    Another minor correction. You mentioned the grip frame on the Blackhawks,,, and causing knuckle pain. You mentioned your SUPER Blackhawk as the culprit. The Blackhawks are a different model,, and do not have the squared backed Dragoon grip frame that the Supers have. The Bisleys are a total different grip frame design as well. But only the Supers have the square backed g/f. AND,, there are Hunter Models of the Super that have a rounded trigger guard as well. Just a minor clarification there too.

One feature of the Bisley's you didn't mention was the Bisley trigger, it is a different contour than the Blackhawks.

And lastly,, the grip frame material. You used a magnet to test the backstrap, and the trigger guard. Almost all models of Ruger SA's have a one piece grip frame assy, which includes the trigger guard. Only the Bearcat has a different, separate trigger guard. Maybe a mentioning of the little fact that it is all one piece.

PLEASE,, PLEASE do not take this as criticism. it is offered as a CLARIFICATION of a few minor points you missed. Many newer Ruger owners may not know these things,, and it helps to clarify such things to some folks.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the clarifications! I am obviously not the world's foremost authority on Ruger firearms, so I need all the help I can get.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I bet we had to work hard talking you into this one!

Another great video, Howard. Thanks for the review
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Howard....always loved the 44 Special....carried S&W 29 for years on the streets.....used the Speer Lawman 200 gr bullet....but practiced with the 44 Special and cast Lyman 429421 (Keith) bullets with 10 gr. of Unique. Thanks for the first class review of Ruger Flattop Revolver!
    It seems to me there was a character in a movie who subscribed to that same notion. I would try to pull the character's name from my memory but a man's got to know his limitations.

Howard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast