Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Spring education

Boolit Master

Spring education

Not the season, a gun spring.
    I have a 1903 Colt .38 ACP. I like to change out the springs in old guns that are new to me. No one sells a recoil spring for that pistol, but Numrich sells a spring for a 45 cal., 38 Super. I bought the spring (cheap enough) and it's actually the exact same length and number of coils as the one in the Colt 38 ACP. But, the diameter of the new spring's wire is slightly thicker than the one in the Colt, making the spring stiffer. I'm thinking it might be too stiff for a 38 ACP if it was meant for a .38 Super (and .45).
    Opinions (or facts)?

Install it, shoot it and decide.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Go to Wolff's sight and see if the have it available. If not, call them after measuring the wire diameter and get a 1911 spring with that diameter or on either side of it.

Boolit Master
    I called Wolffs and they don't have one. This might be a case of overthinking- even if it was the exact, correct spring (and it might be) it's going to be stiffer and stronger because it's new. Dan Cash was right - I should just shoot it and see how it works. I use the same load and bullet in the Colt and the Astra, and if that load can work the Astra slide, it should be fine with the Colt.

Boolit Master
    Definitely too much spring. I loaded and fired a few rounds (3.2 gr Bullseye, 125 gr cast bullet). They would not work the slide back far enough to eject the case. I could work up a stronger load, but I'll probably just use the old spring.