Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Straight stock or pistol grip?

Boolit Buddy

Straight stock or pistol grip?

I am looking at getting a high wall in 45-70 and was wondering what others experiences are with the different stocks.
    A little background. I have lost 40 l s due to a quad bypass and having prostate cancer. The resulting loss of muscle mass has made me a little recoil sensitive. Boomers have never before.
    I have always wanted a single shot 45-70 and figure I had better get one now. I want to use it as my main hunting rifle with the bolt actions as back up.
    Does the pistol grip reduce felt recoil? I will have a nice soft recoil pad on it to help whichever I go with.
    I went to the Cabela's Black Friday sale this morning and they had a nice Browning made in '91 for $1200. Not sure if I could talk them down or not. Always worth a shot.

Banned
    The shape of the stock behind the action, pistol grip or straight, has little to do with felt recoil and a lot to do with how you point the gun.

Shotgun folks tend to prefer the straight grip and rifle shooters tend to favor the pistol grip. If you put both side to side, you'll see the butt of the gun is roughly the same height compared to the action however the straight stock will provide a slightly higher comb closer to the action.

I find the pistol grip to be a little easier to hold.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 11-29-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer the pistol ri[ stocks on my rifles. I find its easier with them to position the rifle . hold it level and pull it back into my shoulder. It also helps my wrist it just feels more natural to me.

As to recoil, weight is your friend here the heavier rifle will have less perceived recoil. The recoil pad helps but the stock should be shortened for it so as not to increase length of pull. While having the recoil pad installed have a mercury kick ease installed in the stock, this really helps. Last is go with lighter bullets. with the above loading to original BP velocities of 1150-1250fps the rifle should have a light recoil. Having the stock fitted to you length of pull, cheek rest height and thickness, wrist dia and distance also helps lower perceived recoil.

I have fond with the local cabellas getting them to accept a lower offer dosnt happen often but you can sometimes get them to throw some extras in like brass, dies, slings,and other accouterments for the rifle. These will show up on the receipt and price is 1cent. This is so inventory is kept up to date. Depending on SIghts and condition that dosnt sound like a bad price, getting a couple hundred cases or die set thrown in with it would be great

Boolit Master
    The straight grip is fine but the pistol grip will give you more control especially when shooting off hand. What makes a difference on recoil is the shape of the butt plate a flat plate also known as a shotgun plate will be kinder to your shoulder than a cresent plate will in a rifle of the same weight.

Boolit Master
    If it’s a highwall it will have a straight grip. I believe the B78’s have a pistol grip. However I prefer the straight grip since it allows me to slide my grip up or down the stock so that the tip of my trigger finger is engaging the trigger. I’m of the opinion that good trigger control is the most important element for accurate shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Felt recoil will be affected by stock fit. You want the comb of the stock to move away from the check bone. That requires the comb to slant slightly upward from breech to butt, and slightly inwards from front to back...so the stock is moving away under recoil. Adding something like a RAD II reducer will also help lessen recoil.

Looking at slots in metal plate in the first photo you will notice the rear is part of the comb is closer to the center of the stock. This positions the comb to move away from the check bone during recoil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000145.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	252127

Added another picture that may be more illustrative in the attachment below:

This next picture shows the upward angle of the comb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000146.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	252128

This is on the shotgun I use for competitive shooting but the principles are the same. The black "goop" around the pistol grip is a material called Rat Grip. I wanted a more pronounced pistol grip and a grip shelf to improve the grip and also position my hand in the same spot every shot. This provided better control and increased my scores in the Doubles event.

BTW, I am extremely recoil sensitive but can shoot this gun 400 rounds a day without discomfort. Gun fit is key!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000148.jpg  
    Last edited by dverna; 11-29-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The semi-pistol grip stocks are a huge help in controlling the rifle - especially if you are loading for thump - however, on a straight stock high wall, the finger lever sort of gives you one, so check your options for comfort.

My Dad is somewhat in the same boat you are, owing to a couple of joint surgeries - his situation is that he has buffalo rifle interests and a .243 Winchester shoulder. Unless you are looking to stop the charge of something large and angry, you might give the .38-55 a look.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    If it’s a highwall it will have a straight grip. I believe the B78’s have a pistol grip. However I prefer the straight grip since it allows me to slide my grip up or down the stock so that the tip of my trigger finger is engaging the trigger. I’m of the opinion that good trigger control is the most important element for accurate shooting.
    High Walls come both ways, pistol grip and straight grip.

I personally prefer a pistol grip stock on all my rifles over straight grip. Much more comfortable, and much better feel in my hands. Plus the pistol grip in the old days was always a deluxe option and special order. They make an old single shot look classier.

I like straight grip stocks for shooting open sights, except on bolt guns. I do think the stock shape, size and design on hard kicking rifles makes a big difference. I have #3 Ruger 45/70. The stocks on them are to short.
    I shoot heavy loads with 300JHPs and it raps you good. Bought a stock extender that takes place of butt plate and adds 1" and it made a big difference. I have a early Marlin 1895 45/70 that I decided to peel off extra wood. This rifle had a shotgun style butt and more bulk in forend than necessary. I thinned forearm flush with action and removed a lot of wood from stock. Made it look like a vintage lever that wood was flush with metal. In doing so I reduced the area of the butt plate by a got bit. Same recoil exerted on smaller area = more felt recoil. I also have a #1 45/70 which has less felt recoil than the others and its stock original.

I just sold all my magnum hunting rifles in last 3 years and I had a Herters 458mag and Win 70 458. The Win was much tamer than the Herters which was their cheapest grade and had stock design of a bolt action shotgun.
    The weight of rifle is major factor too. I had Sako 375H&H from 60s long barrel that you could shoot all day but a post 64 win 70 and Rem 700 that after 5 shots you wanted a break. One of most hard kicking rifles I own now is pre 64 m70FW in 308. So weight and stock have a big effect on felt recoil in my book.