WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: .41 Mag 220 grain SJSWC

Boolit Mold

.41 Mag 220 grain SJSWC

Was given a box with 81 bullets it when I bought a used scabbard. They are a Speer semi-jacketed semi-wadcutter weighing 220 grains, in .410"

Wondering how they'll shoot in a microgroove Marlin 1894 FG (have not slugged it for groove diameter), and at what speeds I should best push them to [I may need to chamfer the rifle's throat to get them to feed. I have not loaded any in cartridges yet, but other .41 Mag LSWCs do not feed in this action]. Regretfully, I no longer own a revolver chambered so. It had timing issues and I was offered a fair price for it.

Powders on hand are the usual whirlenpopper suspects: Unique, 2400, Viht N110, Green Dot, Bullseye, TiteGroup, AA7 and AA9.
    "If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Boolit Master
    they are jsp bullets so--- they should shoot fine, feeding?
    nose is soft lead --- they are soft points... so shoot what is reasonable for a 220- 230 keith maybe
    look up speers data

Boolit Master
    I have a few boxes of the 200 SWC-JHPs and the 220s JSPs left... Speer stopped making that line of bullets a few years ago so when those are gone you won't find any more...

I've found with my Marlins the faster you push a bullet the better. I'm not home right now but believe I use 23.0 grains of H110. Bullet base sits right on top of the powder charge..

With this bullet, seat it till the jacket is just below the case mouth and then crimp over the jacket into the lead shoulder...

They are a very accurate and tough bullet.

Bob

ADMIN

10 grains unique. Could go more but that is my go to for my 220 lead slugs and they shoot great
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Two points, Marlin lever guns don't like SWC style bullets. Even Marlin 39 doesn't feed well with Trunicated cone style bullets. You can double clutch the lever, just back it off a little when cartridge top the carrier and nose of bullet will drop. Some styles this works, some not.

When shooting the 1/2 jacket style of bullets in rifle or handgun don't use light loads. At low velocities they can separate in barrel. The lead bullet core will go down range as normal bullet would. The jacket remains in bore.
    If you are not aware the next shot can bulge your barrel or worse. I have personally seen three 357s and two 45s that were damaged with these bullets fired a low velocities. I have shot hundreds of them and they are good bullets if used right.

There is a 30cal 1/2jacket 100gr bullet. I had shot a lot of them in reduced loads in 30 cal rifles. I am careful to check that I don't get a shedded jacket. The reduced loads are 1200fps+ and so far I've not had a problem. One of the 45s damaged was a Thompson SMG clone with 16" barrel. The barrel actually split and cracked forearm.
    Owner wanted to load a lot of 45acp on the cheap. He used lightest load in the book and blew up his gun.

Boolit Master

Many years ago when the 414 super mag was a wildcat I used that bullet over a heavy charge of H110 in a custom contender. That is about the most deer anchoring handgun performance one could ever expect. This bullet design performed well at higher speeds for me and no don't down load too much and you'll be fine. As stated earlier I'll bet it would be a poor feeder in a leaver gun. just my 2 cents.

Boolit Master
    I ran the HP 200 grain version through six jugs of water and then through two 3/4" layers of plywood. The nose had "melted" off and all that was left was a little ashcan...

I believe in either the Speer #13 or #14 Manual there is a picture of a mountain lion taken with a Taurus Tracker and a 200 grain Speer bullet... I have seen the complete story of the hunt on line somewhere...

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the experienced, informative replies! gentlemen, and thank you to the moderator that merged my post from the subforum where it had been languishing.

The action "double-clutch" is a superb suggestion! since I am so fond of the procedure in older 3-pedal, H-pattern sports cars. Too, I have fitted my .41 Mag '94 FG with a "New Design" carrier which better aligns the cartridge with the bore axis, minimizing the tendency for the SWC design to catch the chamber edge. Also, a chamfer of the chamber throat from 11 to 1 and from 5 to 7 on the clock would help...

Meanwhile, thank you for the load suggestions. Here're two photographs of the components in question:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	252234

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	252235
    "If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Boolit Master

I wish someone would bring back the Speer type half or3/4 jacketed SWC bullet line .357 .41 and .44. jmho-ymmv
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I tried some of the 44 caliber version of that bullet. One box was all needed to try. They leaded up my barrels on both the SBH and the 1894.
    Give them a coat of LLA might help on that.
    I have some Win White box 240 gr SP I picked up at an auction cheap. I'll try them out.
    I like cast just fine. Kill as well as jacketed. With the right techniques you can cast the nose of pure lead and the base of harder alloy. Makes them like a JSP.
    I can even hollow point them.
    With all these options with cast, why shoot jacketed?
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 12-02-2019 at 12:14 PM.

As stated above, load them 1000 fps or better and shoot them up. They are accurate and cut clean holes in paper targets. I went through a couple hundred of the .41 version a few years back. They will mess a raccoon UP at 1400 fps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I didn't have leading issues I'd have to check again but I don't think any lead can touch the bore with this design. Anyway they were accurate for me at about 1800 FPS. With that soft nose you can about imagine but Tissue destruction on a big buck I shot with this load resembled a 150 gr 300 wby at close range.

Boolit Master
    I have not shot them in .41 , but have shot several hundred in .44 a super black hawk , mod 29 and a marlin 1894 they would not feed in the Marlin but shot well in all the guns with no leading or other problems for us.

Boolit Master
    Leo...that is not possible... Are you sure they were not the old Hornady 1/2 jacket bullets... The Speer bullets are a jacketed SWC and no lead ever touches the bore...

Was at the Speer plant in 2003 on a motorcycle trip and had a nice visit with Allan Jones who was an old friend from Dallas and the editor of the Speer Reloading Manual. I asked if there was any chance of Speer bringing out that line of bullets in .45 and he said no... The machine that made that line was on it's last legs and once it was no longer practical to fix the machine the whole line would be gone...and so it was a few years later...

I did contact Corbin and they said if I sent them a bullet they would make a swaging die to make the bullets. I never followed up on it...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 12-09-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

They shot average for me in my 1894 Marlins. I tried a stiff load of 2400/296/#9. All shot equally well. Had better accuracy with the XTP but these would work on anything in lever gun range.