Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: three eagles in the yard this morning

Boolit Master

three eagles in the yard this morning

i live on a creek that feeds into a lake three miles away that has nesting eagles. this morning there were three in my yard. never realise how big they are till you are 100 feet away. amazing.

Yeah, bald eagles are huge! Females are bigger than the males, I believe. When my grandson was in Cub Scouts some raptor rescue outfit came to a pack meeting with various birds, including a female eagle. Got a photo somewhere of him standing next to her. BIG bird!

Not sure, but aren't Golden Eagles even bigger?

Boolit Grand Master
    A long time ago, I went on a fishing trip to Canada.
    Bald Eagles all over the place.
    When it was slow, we'd feed them from the boat.
    Wave a bait fish in the air, to get their attention.
    They would fly towards you, when they were close enough, you'd throw the fish in the air.
    Eagle would catch it and take it back to the nest.
    First time I did it was scary.
    Those things are big.

I have them around my house. They feed on what left of the animals I trap that I put out in the field near me. also what ever other wildlife feed on it all. When a farmer dump some dead animals in there fields it is common to see about from 20 to 40 of them feeding on what is out there. Also when I fish the back waters of the Mississippi River they are not far from where you fishing hope you will let a fish go that died and they pick it up also they raise a stink if there is noting for them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Impressive birds, I always enjoy watching them.

BB

Banned
    I bet if you ate one they would taste like freedom!

Banned

Elmer Keith used to shoot every eagle he came across!

Moderator Emeritus

When I bought my house in south Jersey we watched an eagle trying to get a duck in our community lake. They lowered the boards so residents could clean around their docks so basically a small stream kept flowing. That eagle would fly down and the duck would literally duck under water and come up making a racket. Then the eagle would fly from the other side to get em. Went on for about 20 minutes. We recorded most of it. We were told not to show it to anyone as they would probably stop any construction in the area.

Boolit Grand Master

They are getting better established around here. Those nest are huge, looks like a Volkswagen in a tree. The tree that the nest is in pretty often dies. They truly have a majestic look!

Boolit Master
    Go to Alaska they are everywere .For years there wasn't any around western ND now that has changed I still get excited just seeing them fly around. We have golden eagles an they are bigger than bald eagles like flying Volkswagens.

Boolit Master
    The fish wheels on the Copper river in Alaska have many eagles. The land fill here in Florida has a bunch too.

Moderator Emeritus

My house is about 5 blocks from Buffalo Creek. There are at least a couple pairs of bald eagles within a few miles. They will glide along thermals above town...fun to watch. I've also seen one kinda close up (100 feet or so), She was flying low carrying a good sized rabbit and flew so close to the neighbors roof, she almost hit the TV antenna.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    We have a good many nesting pairs here in Southcentral Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River. See them pretty regularly flying over my house... I live about 2 miles from the river as the crow (or eagle) flies.

Boolit Master

I saw one this morning in front of the house flying up Court st. I think it must have been a young male, it was not as big as some I have seen. The crows in the neighbor hood went nuts and one was flying around harassing him, the crow looked mighty small in comparison. I was surprised to see it right in the middle of town here. So were the squirrels I think.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    We have a good many nesting pairs here in Southcentral Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River. See them pretty regularly flying over my house... I live about 2 miles from the river as the crow (or eagle) flies.
    i'm in york cty, just below lake redman. we're neighbors.

Moderator Emeritus

I am 7 miles form the Minnesota River, lots of nesting pairs now that the water is cleaner(and the fish less toxic). See them flying around looking for road kill. Had one in the middle of the road on a dead raccoon and he refused to move. I pulled onto the shoulder and drove 5 feet from him. That really tells you how big they are when they can dang near look in the truck window when standing...

Moderator Emeritus

One of their characteristics is the ability to eat so much they are temporally too fat to fly. They really get loud when they think you're too close then.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    There goes the neighborhood. I once rescued one from a nearby lake that had gotten trapped in pond weed while trying to catch a fish. After easing my 10 foot Jon-boat bow up to him, he threw a wing over the bow and climbed in. If a bird can look embarrassed, that one was it. From eight feet away they are even bigger. I tossed him a small bass and away he went.

Was waiting on a tv show to come on last night and had 60 minutes on (yeah, I know)
    Wouldn't have stuck around, but they had just started a story on a young lady from Oklahoma City that had gone over to Mongolia when she was still a teenager, and then went for an extended stay in her early 20's. She was learning how to hunt with the golden eagles that some of the nomadic Mongols use. Quite interesting, supposedly only about 300 adult men still working with the eagles. They hunt mainly rabbits, feeding the eagles the meat and keeping the pelts. They ARE big.