MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: 7mm RB Rebarrel ?

Banned

7mm RB Rebarrel ?

With time on my hands today I stopped by a local gunshop to see if they had anything I needed.

What caught my eye is a rolling block in 7mm that has been professionally refinished, metal and wood. That's fine, but the barrel is shortened to just in front of the mid barrel band, about 16 inches.
    That didn't look like anything I would care to shoot so barreling might be a possibility, or is it? 6.5 Swede is a favorite of mine and should not involve serious extractor work.

Or would a 223 size case head be practical?

Ken

Boolit Master

The extractor is not all that difficult to re work on the rolling block. I have one in 22 hornet. Tougher though is to get a nice trigger pull. On the .470 bolt face the pressure should be of course kept moderate. I always thought A rolling Block .250 savage would be nice.

Boolit Master
    That rifle would make a nice .30-30 or better yet, a .30-40 Krag cast bullet shooter.

Banned
    Hmm, the idea of a rifle chambered for the US 1898 30 caliber cartridge does have some appeal.

I am currently working with a reloading set for both the 1898 and 1906 30 caliber cartridges. My brain is thinking in the language of that time 110 years ago.

Boolit Master
    Man if I ran across one, in good shape, I would have to rebarrell it to 6.5 Swede, keep the loads moderate and shoot it the rest of your life. That or 30/40 Krag aint a bad choice either. I am just a 6.5 nut and have shot the swede over 30 years, with great accuracy and a lot of heads of game brought down, hard.

Banned
    Koger, that is the best idea yet. The 6.5 Swede is an incredible cartridge, accurate, easy to load for and just fun to shoot. This may require another trip tom the gunshop.

Banned
    I went back for a second look. The workmanship is very good. The rifle has been in the shop for 4 years marked at $700.00. Talking to them, about rebarreling, they said it's about $900 to change barrel's on any rifle. Well, that put a sudden dampener on my ideas.

Anyway here is the short barreled rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200129_150542.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	255704

Boolit Master
    I know places you could get it rebarreled for $300 or so and do good work. That is if the prices was $300 or so. I have about a mint condition RB of the same caliber, and it cost about half what they are asking, and yes I stole it, but there are a lot of those actions out there at good prices.

$700 is high for that, imo/more than I would pay for it. However, $900 to rebarrel? Don't think so! My buddy does all kinds of things with them, and has work done on them. I GUARANTEE he wouldn't pay $900 to have it rebarreled! And, if I were going to rebarrel it, I would stay away from 6.5 Swede (I Love it/have 2, but read too many difficulties with cast bullets). I would probably make it a 38-55 for cast. If I get another action real cheap, that would prob be a go to for me.

I currently 3 Rollers. 1 is a custom 1868 Husqvarna action in 45-70 with bull bbl, vernier tang sight and beautiful custom wood. Sadly, the bbl is not quite finished. I need to polish and reblue the bbl. 2 is an Argentine surplus in great shape (polished/buffed, etc, as they were for surplus) in 43 Spanish. Still working things up for that one. 3 is a 7x57. No details because guy I got it from is going to trade me up (vs us replacing a couple parts it needed).

Banned
    I keep thinking about this thing. Since they have had it for so long I should be able to get it at a reasonable price, well I think so.
    Who ever worked on it did a magnificent job, the finish is dang near perfect with really deep blue metal finish. It's just that short barrel. It looks better in the picture than in person, the proportions are just "off".
    I suppose, loaded with a lightweight cast boolit it may make a fun plinker. Looking at it I get the feeling the muzzle is too close to my face to shoot anything approaching full power loads.

Ken

Boolit Master
    That rifle, looks to me, to be a $450 tops rifle, if you really wanted it. Just my opinion, and you know how that goes.

Boolit Grand Master
    You could send it to Bob Hoyt and have it sleeved to another cartridge. I was in his shop a few days ago and had just done that to a .43 Egyptian.

it reminds me of the Swede Model 14 Carbine.

Boolit Master
    That little 16" bbld carbine would be a natural choice for a pistol caliber carbine. 44 special, maybe 44 magnum and 45 colt. Either a rebore or a liner. Or if in desparate straights a full on barrel replacement with maybe a slightly longer barrel. Frank

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I’m gonna go a different way. .32 long, or .38. Perfect cast boolit small game & plinking rifle! Cheeeep to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bore is good and the price was right, there's nothing wrong with a 16" 7x57mm in my opinion - especially using mild cast loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If the bore is good and the price was right, there's nothing wrong with a 16" 7x57mm in my opinion - especially using mild cast loads.

Agreed, there's no flies on the 7x57, and any calibers in that range are gonna be barkers with that short barrel anyway. I'd shoot it and if it showed promise, it would never change. Though not at that price, at best around half, or a bit more. There's lots of rollers around.

Banned
    Pistol caliber for sure. I had thought a 6 inch longer barrel would not look to "off" in the existing stock and get the blast a bit further away from my face. 6.5 Swede comes to mind.