WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 vs 308 which is best to cast for?

Boolit Grand Master
    Both shoot very well when you develop a load.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I cast 125 Lee RN (M1 carbine profile) and 175 Lee RN in 309, load them in 30-30, 308, and 30-06. The light boolits are fun to shoot, and cheap to cast and load. Titegroup or American Select for real light loads works good, TG is more accurate, AS is cleaner. the 175s drop at 179ish, and work really good on top of Power Pistol for that mid-fast but still reduced load. If I had to pick only one, it would probably be the 30-06. But I really like 30-30 too, so really its a tossup.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Photog View Post
    I cast 125 Lee RN (M1 carbine profile) and 175 Lee RN in 309, load them in 30-30, 308, and 30-06. The light boolits are fun to shoot, and cheap to cast and load. Titegroup or American Select for real light loads works good, TG is more accurate, AS is cleaner. the 175s drop at 179ish, and work really good on top of Power Pistol for that mid-fast but still reduced load. If I had to pick only one, it would probably be the 30-06. But I really like 30-30 too, so really its a tossup.
    If the rifle will be a dedicated cast bullet rifle , then 308.
    Locally 308W brass is the most common once fired pickup brass at the local gun range.
    The short magmum brass and 7 mm rem brass are hit and miss.
    30-30 brass at the local range is rare.

I have gone to a Savage 99 and a Savage axis in 308W for 30 caliber cast bulle shooting simply because there is so much once fired pick up brass in 308W
    With power coated cast bullets the 308W does pretty much the same as the 30-30 and 30/06 with bullets up to 170 grains under 2000 feet per second

My stash of 30/06 brass has been eaten up by a 9.3x62 and a 9.3x57 - both of which may be considered "almost obsolete" but are rewarding to shoot.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

If you need 30-06 brass, I have way more than I'd be able to shoot in my life time. Same with 308 brass, actually I sold my last 308 and I've been converting my 308 brass to 300 savage brass.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    Wow! Not quite as bad as asking which is better than 9 mm or the 40 Cal but I’m sure you’ll get lots and pros and cons out of both camps . How to the point, based on the fact that you said you’re looking at a savage in the price range of $200 I’m making an assumption that you’re talking about an axis. If I’m wrong I apologize and you can pretty much tell us my post out . The reason I am responding is that a couple years back I bought myself an access in 30.06 and my son one in 308. On our first outing to the range I was packing 180 grn Remington core-lokt for the 06, my son had 150 grn Remington core-lokt for the 308. Both rifles were identical purchase same time same place just different calibers. Not that this is really a fair comparison because it’s only two rifles but I will tell you that my 06 was considerably more accurate than his 308 was both were more than adequate as a hunting rifle which is primarily why we purchased them. I will say because of how light the rifles are ( composite stocks ) that the 308 with the 150 grain projectiles was a little more pleasant to shoot. Now I know 180 grains are available for for the 308 it is at the upper limits and I would stick towards the 150 grain range. I chose the 30.06?for his versatility. I know I can load and shoot from 113 grains all the way up to 220 grains with the 06. That pretty much covers the gambit of anything I’m going to hunt with my old eyes in the lower 48. As far as cast bullets go I load and shoot 113 grain cast from a Lee mold and 170 grn cast from a Lyman 311291 mold. Both with adequate accuracy. Unfortunately I’ve had a little bit of a falling out with my son so I don’t know if he shot any cast out of his 308 . What I will say is that I am sure,depending on what your intended use is, either caliber in that rifle is capable of adequate accuracy . Just remember if you are talking about a savage axis I don’t believe they were ever designed to be tacked drivers . As a hunting rifle or 100 yard plinker either caliber will suit your needs , Especially for the price . I paid over twice the price you quoted. Pack for that price if I had the money I’d go pick me up another one in a different caliber . I’ve heard of 223 makes a pretty decent little varmint gun OK. Anyway hope any of this helps . Good luck enjoy be safe and have fun
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Just pick one. Really. If the short action fells better in your hands and mounts and points better, there's your choice. If it's the long action, then so be it. The way the rifle fits you will make more difference than the caliber will. And, YES, you can seat boolits with their gas checks below the case neck just fine, w/o problems. It's always worked for me.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    FWIW, my Axis in .223 is a 1/2MOA rifle or better with good bullets. A bit better than MOA with the cheap bullets. Axis barrels are made on same line as the rest of their rifles. But, it is harder to find one with a heavy barrel.

Your better off with the 30-06.

The 30-06 has longer necks that keep a larger number of bullets bases out of the boiler room and keep them in the case neck where they should be.

The 30-06 has an excellent chamber compared to the 308w in the case neck area.
    30-06 ='s .340"
    308w ='s .344"

That 4/1000th's makes a huge difference when it comes to the cast bullets alignment & the affects on the cast bullet with the short start pressure of the load.

A couple years back I ordered a custom bbl from shilen , I had it chambered in 308w with a .340" neck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakota View Post
    If you need 30-06 brass, I have way more than I'd be able to shoot in my life time. Same with 308 brass, actually I sold my last 308 and I've been converting my 308 brass to 300 savage brass.
    I've got an incoming CMP M1 garand that'll be needing some brass, let me know if your surplus still available.
    Thanks,
    Sig
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12