RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Bore light options?

Bore light options?

I've used the brass drop in lights, they function as intended about 50% of the time and their life expectancy seems short even with replacing the batteries. Are there any other options?
    Vermont...First Republic...Fourteenth State

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

Bureaucracy,, taking the fun out of life one stupid rule at a time,,,,

Banned
    Get a clear hot-melt glue stick, slide the end to the chamber and have a light source. You'll be surprised how well they illuminate the bore
    Ad-Tech 14ZIP50 Multi Temp Glue Stick (4 x 0.44-Inch), Pack of 50 $5.97 prime free shipping at .12¢ each you can hand them out to your friends
    https://www.amazon.com/Ad-Tech-14ZIP...s%2C206&sr=8-6

or
    Pro-Shot UV Bore Light Illuminator
    https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Illu...02&sr=8-9&th=1
    Last edited by Conditor22; 11-30-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those.Pro Shot illuminators. It does work but it needs assistance indoors from another light source. In a pinch, I just hold a piece of white paper in the breech. Normally I just aim a flashlight into the breech but not directly up the barrel. I have a couple freebie bendy light/laser things I got at NRA show or some other deal.

I bet Conditors glue stick trick works great! May have to get a cheap light and just get the glue stick molten and stick it to it.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I carry a streamlight stylus pro so, the only extra I need is a piece of white paper or a cleaning patch. The glue stick is a neat idea, thanks.

Oops, I didn't realize this was in the ML section. My comments don't apply then.

Boolit Master

I bought a 5.5mm endoscope, it has a light and a lense which give you the option of taking a pic of your bore. It uses either your phone, or pc as the camera, you can view live, take video or pics. I've also used it to check in crevices to find dropped items, it has a magnet and a hook to retrieve small items. Much cheaper than brand name scopes, and work good enough for me to find issues in my bores.

USB Endoscope
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Go to the fishing department and buy a green or yellow light for light floats. Fits down to .22 cal.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I've always dropped an empty, nickle 9mm or 38 special case nose first down the bore. Then I shine a flashlight down on it, or often my desk lamp. The reflection off the case base is enough to illumine the bore.
    Last edited by Johnny_Cyclone; 11-29-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: desk lamp

Boolit Master
    Harbor Freight sells a bore scope, but it only goes down to 45 caliber. I has a 45 degree mirror attachment so you can see very fine details.
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Apparently you can get arrow knocks that light up and I have heard of people using those for a bore light. Apparently they are cheap. I can't say for sure as I never tried them.

Boolit Master
    You can get a bobber light, that pushes on and pulls off, will go thru a .17 bore, just drop it down the bore and it shows any pits, dirt or if it is shiny. They cost $5-6 at Bass pro, or I buy them by the dozen on Amazon for less than $3 and I sell them for $6 at the LGS, when someone brings it up or needs one and I am there. I forgot and left one on in a ML barrel and remembered it 48 hours later it was still on, just for a reference of how long they last. I keep one or two in a small pill bottle in my pocket at all times. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post
    I've always dropped an empty, nickle 9mm or 38 special case nose first down the bore. Then I shine a flashlight down on it, or often my desk lamp. The reflection off the case base is enough to illumine the bore.
    I do the same. It works well.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    As said above, use a led bobber light for night fishing. Small, bright, and cheap at Wally World. Turn it on, drop it in and instant bore light.

Banned
    I made this light from a .25 ACP case for a member here. It will fit into a .30 caliber muzzle loader...https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kvncdmt8z...IpSynYoFa?dl=0

Boolit Master
    This all depends on what you are trying to see when you look in there. If you are looking for gross fouling or pits the lights are fine. If you want to see real bore condition then get a scope.

Think of it this way. Hold out something at 30" and read small print with the paper tilted sideways.

Boolit Master

For my flinter i take out the flash plug. And put a bore light in. One of the lights with a led one the tip.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flex-Bore-Light/51932681
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy

I have One of the arrow nock lights. It’s great !