RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cabela's Kansas City

Banned

Cabela's Kansas City

Had to make an unexpected run to KC last night and as I usually do, swung through Cabela's on the way to look over the used gun rack.

If you're looking for a basic single shot bolt action .22 rifle, they had a whole rack of neat old ones priced real cheap for Cabela's ($80-100) old Mossbergs, Marlins, the occasional Winchester. Makes me wonder of there's a big market for first boy's rifles for Christmas. I nearly walked out with a couple though I have enough .22s.

Boolit Master

Every now and than cabelas has a good deal, and yes it’s the season for boys rifles- I myself am in the market!

Banned

About six months ago, I lucked into a really nice Winchester 67A for a Benjamin out the door. Between that and an old Remington which was my uncle's boys rifle, I think my single shot bolt action .22 itch is pretty well scratched but there sure was a lot of fun for the money on that rack at Cabela's. Not all of them real high end, but good, serviceable rifles, many Western Auto or Montgomery Wards brands.

Boolit Grand Master

Around here there is a market for the boys rifles but its not always who you think it is for. A lot of the older people are looking for them, Its what Dad, Grandpa or uncles started them with. Or its the forest rifle they were allowed to "roam the hills" with. At auctions and in the LFS they bring some pretty good prices from this group wanting them for the memories. Big around here are the marlin Model 15s, crackshots, Favorites, Little Springfields and some others

Boolit Master
    A couple years back I picked up a Winchester 67 and a 67a plus a Springfield 15 , and a Sears Ranger single shot.
    I originally got them to test fire my 22 lr reloads.
    But after testing the ammo , I fully restored the rifles.
    Some of these come in what looks like rough condition from being a Boy's first rifle.
    These turned out to be darn good shooters.
    The rifles were not in a condition that would justify leaving them in their Original condition.
    But with the stocks refinished and in a couple cases repaired and the metal re blued I can get way more than I actually have in them.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Around here there is a market for the boys rifles but its not always who you think it is for. A lot of the older people are looking for them, Its what Dad, Grandpa or uncles started them with. Or its the forest rifle they were allowed to "roam the hills" with. At auctions and in the LFS they bring some pretty good prices from this group wanting them for the memories. Big around here are the marlin Model 15s, crackshots, Favorites, Little Springfields and some others
    Yupper - that's me! Pre-ww1 Stevenses, with two #4 rolling blocks and a few Hopkins & Allen examples mixed in. Some are as-found, a few .22s I have put liners in or rebarrelled, and one 1915 Favorite is now a .32 Long Colt centerfire. All shootable in the barnyard, saving me trips to the range in my 74-year-old carcass. Never found anything worth buying in Cabelas, but I only go near one about once every two years.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    There are two guys in the library that have been there since they opened, they are part time and the only one I will deal with.

Prices on the guns in the rack seem to have no rhyme nor reason. A brand new one maybe substantially cheaper than the exact same gun that has seen hard use or abuse. I used to stop by at least once a week. The had a pretty good lay away program and that allowed me to be able to purchase some that I other wise could not afford.
    As most good things, people abused it and they dropped their 90 day lay away.
    Bass pros involvement has not impressed me.
    I visit on a week day only and maybe every few months.

I think that old 22's with wood stocks for $100 and less are bargains. They just don't make them anymore until you get near $ 300 and up. As long as they work well and don't need repairs I think they will be collectible in coming years.

Jedman

Banned
    I think The old Remington 510, 511, 512, 513 and 521 are probably the best old rifles to be found. I have a 510, single shot, automatically goes on safety when bolt is opened, 511 with target Redfield sights. two 513 and a 550. The all are joy to shoot.

Boolit Master

You missed one Mr Duck; the Remington 514 was/is a fantastic bolt action single shot .22. Had one given as a Christmas present when I was 13 way back in the 1950's . Still shoots minute of tin can all day long.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Had to make an unexpected run to KC last night and as I usually do, swung through Cabela's on the way to look over the used gun rack.

If you're looking for a basic single shot bolt action .22 rifle, they had a whole rack of neat old ones priced real cheap for Cabela's ($80-100) old Mossbergs, Marlins, the occasional Winchester. Makes me wonder of there's a big market for first boy's rifles for Christmas. I nearly walked out with a couple though I have enough .22s.
    I beg to disagree with you. That is an impossibility. I have 21 of them and have barely scratched the surface of what I want to ultimately get and shoot.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!