Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry permits

Boolit Master

Concealed carry permits

Here is the thing, both the wife and I have Missouri Conceal carry permits and they are coming up for renewal next month. Missouri has passed a law that says you don't need a permit to carry concealed. So is there any advantage in dropping the state permit and just carry without?
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    You won’t be able to CC in states that have reciprocity with MO without a valid permit.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    You won’t be able to CC in states that have reciprocity with MO without a valid permit.
    Not completely true.

Some states such as Arizona, Idaho, and I believe Alaska, base the reciprocity on the standard of the home state of residence of the person. A police officer in Arizona couldn't care less if you have a permit or not when carrying concealed- provided you are not a prohibited person- as Arizona is also a "no permit needed for residents" state.

Boolit Master
    Personally, I would obtain the card( & did) even if MN was to change to Concealed Carry without permit ( Const. Carry).

The fact that one who has a permit has to retake the firearms training every 5 years is one that I would think is good for more than a couple of reasons.

1) Demonstrates that the CC permit carrier is relatively "up to date/current" & "caught up on" on any changes in Laws that may have been made in the previous 5 years since they last took the course of instruction.

2) Demonstrates that the permit carrier is inclined to be a responsible CC Permit carrier due to the fact that they are not required to take such a course, but did so anyway.

3) It doesn't hurt to take the course anyway.

^ The top 2 of which would be likely be helpful in placing a "positive light" on ones character & knowledge, if one is ever in a situation where they had to draw( & possibly fire) their firearm in self defense & were then charged with a crime & had to go to court & have an attorney defend them. Vs. a person who had not gone the extra steps to get a CC permit & just carried a concealed handgun without taking the training & staying "up-to date/current". ( < That is a presumption & not guaranteed, but it could help anyway)

So, while it is not required, I would think that a D.A. of a jurisdiction, the judge, jury or all, would take into consideration that one took the extra step, even though it was not legally necessary, as a consideration in favor of the person who did take that extra step, vs someone in the same situation who did not.

A negative reason might be that it might be used as a way to ID you are a firearm owner if the gubment ever decides that is a good thing to do. (like registration/confiscation)

Another might be the cost/inconvenience if you had to travel & stay some where to take the course & if the course had a fee & the issuing LEO agency had a fee as well.

Anyway, G'Luck! in your decisions about this!

ETA - I see that Missouri does not require one to retake the class again, while MN does. But the reasons I offered for getting a permit remain possibilities anyway.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-28-2019 at 02:20 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Your lucky to be able to get one.
    It will be a cold day in Hell before we ever do.
    I would renew it just to have the card.
    That way there will be no question you can carry.

Moderator Emeritus

We have Constitutional carry here. I ended up getting my WV concealed and let my Florida one expire. Let's me go to PA and carry. Only problem is I still have to cross MD and they are ridiculous with their ccw laws.

Boolit Master
    Here in Iowa, you need either a permit to acquire, or a concealed carry permit if you want to purchase a firearm. The permit to acquire requires the same paperwork and background check as the CC permit, so a person might as well get the CC permit and be done for 5 more years. The permit to acquire is good for just ONE year.

Boolit Master

Same here in NH Constitutional carry, Members in my family still get the carry permit for use in other states. Our permits have always been shall issue

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    After WV passed Constitutional Carry I maintained the permit for reciprocity reasons.

When you buy a gun the state police computer instant background check goes through much more quickly when you have the permit than if you don't.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-28-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I kept mine even though Ky went constitutional carry. Reason was 3 fold. First, for travel if needed. Second, sorta a friendly headsup to Leos that I'm law abiding. I figure they are less likely to hassle me about carrying this way. Third, they might change the law back, to whit, I don't want to take the class again.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    In Montana it makes it so they don't have to call in to NICS for a background check before a purchase. You still need to do the 4733.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know your states laws but in Texas ccl allows me to walk out the door with a firearm I just purchased.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing the permit might help with is if your checked or questioned its a voucher to your back ground and training. Might not mean a lot then again it might.

Boolit Master
    I've seen ads on local websites where a seller in a private sale requires a valid HCP for the buyer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I don't know your states laws but in Texas ccl allows me to walk out the door with a firearm I just purchased.
    Same here in Kansas, but some stores have a policy of running a check same as not having a ccl.

In ky the ccdw license allows stores to skip the ATF call, but you still have to fill out the 4473. But in the state, it also allows you to carry any deadly weapon, not just handguns. So, now that we went constitution carry, it's still required for switchblades and boot knives. At least that's the understanding, as it's a gray area at present.

Boolit Grand Master

I also recommend keeping the CCW for reciprocity.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I would keep it up. just on the out side chance you run into a cop that does not know the law.

I live in pa. and when we go to visit family in va. that 12 mi. stretch through md. I fell like a pilgrim in a evil land.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Same here in Kansas, but some stores have a policy of running a check same as not having a ccl.
    Same here in Iowa. I mostly buy from vendors at gun shows, or directly from a licensed dealer.

Boolit Master

I have been converted to getting the permit renewed. It will will be good to have for travel and ID. Thank you everyone for your input. God bless you all.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast