MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a second safe and can't find what I'm looking for....

I'm looking for a second safe and can't find what I'm looking for....

I'm looking for another safe and can't find find anything other than 1/8'' thick fire safes. My old safe is 3/8'' with 1/4'' thick door and weighs 850 lbs. Has something changed? The fire safes look like a sawzall would make short work of them and I don't like the electric locks....

Boolit Master

gun safes arent safes, that is for sure.

Those 10 gage or 1/8" wall, 1/4" door ones are made to keep the High School kids out-- that's all.
    If they have a 30 minute fire rating, its usually a layer of 1/2" sheetrock inside with cloth or carpet on the side you see.

99% of the people that have the will, or skill to tear into one of those falls into 2 groups:

1. They will use their skill to get into a safe with several thousand dollars of gold and jewels in it,
    and they don't have the slightest interest in your Grandpa's .30-30.

2. The other group will get into it by holding a cheap handgun behind your ear.

The rest of the population either doesn't have such evil in their heart,
    or they are too stupid to realize how easy it is to break into one.

I'm no fan of electric locks either.
    I worked for a safe and lock company for 11 years.
    We had 4-5 people in customer service,,,, and the phone never quit ringing.
    I asked one of them one time how many calls they got on spin dial locks.

He told me he got 3 or 4 a month.
    Someone lost the combination, or it had been in a fire, or flood, etc.

If ya want to spend the bucks, AMSEC out in Calif. makes and sell everything from a
    pretty high school wall locker level of security, all the way up to the 5,000 pounders
    about the size of a refrigerator with a 2 hour fire rating, and tool resistant 'TL-30s'.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    With the improvement of cordless tools, nothing is safe. Hell milwaukee even makes a 18 volt, 7" disc grinder. Wish there was a background check for that!

Try lock smiths. The one near me always has a few safes of some sort on consignment.

Thank for responding, I'm really surprised about the limited choices of safes. I recently looked at a Winchester safe at a local gun shop, that had a hole rusted at the bottom of the door. I'll check AMSEC...

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Thank for responding, I'm really surprised about the limited choices of safes. I recently looked at a Winchester safe at a local gun shop, that had a hole rusted at the bottom of the door. I'll check AMSEC...
    Those 1/4" door ones are actually pretty tough on the front side.
    Thick enough to resist 'peeling' the door, and they take longer to cut through than a side or back.

One way to make them harder to get into is bolt them down in a corner next to built in shelves, or in a closet.
    That way there isn't much 'elbow room' to get tools in there to cut on it.

Used ones turn up all the time on Craig's list or classifieds.
    If you're not in the safe selling business, you can't get 20 cents on the dollar for what they are worth
    because they are so heavy to move, and that just overwhelms most people.

It might cost $3-400 to have one moved, but if you can get a $5,000 safe for a few hundred, it works out.
    Look at your old one, and you'll see how difficult it is to put a gunsafe interior in it...
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    My next safe will be a Drake.

I just looked at Drake, that's what I want. It's 1/4'' steel all the way around and has a combination lock with a key... I checked the price and they're just a little more than the brands that are 1/8'' thick. Thanks...
    Last edited by gnostic; 11-27-2019 at 08:38 PM.

The tariffs with China have made Chinese steel harder to get and American steel pricier, which trickles down to manufacturers, like gun safes. I was just at a safe dealership today. He said their costs and wait times have went crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    The tariffs with China have made Chinese steel harder to get and American steel pricier, which trickles down to manufacturers, like gun safes. I was just at a safe dealership today. He said their costs and wait times have went crazy.
    Apparently, you order online from Drake direct and they just raised their price.

Boolit Master
    Apparently, you order online from Drake direct and they just raised their price.
    That would be a bummer. It’s a pretty small shop, wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t update their online pricing as often as they should. How big was the bump?

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    That would be a bummer. It’s a pretty small shop, wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t update their online pricing as often as they should. How big was the bump?
    I don't know how much the price went up, they're on facebook. Their smallest gun safe is about a 15 gun and weighs 750 lbs., the price is $1450.00 and I'm sure it'll be another $500.00 to my closet. The similar size 1/8'' thick safes are about $1k to $1250 depending on the lock and extras, delivered to my garage. So, yes more than a little bit more, I always tell myself it's a one time purchase...

Boolit Master
    Probably should have included the usual disclaimer, I know these guys from satisfied customers and speaking with them at the local gun shows, but I have no financial interest in the company or in any potential purchase that anyone may choose to make.

Boolit Buddy
    Bear Safes in OK City uses1/4" sides in their larger safes. I bought one of their smaller ones in 1995. Their website says to call for prices.

Boolit Master
    look for a used big jewelry store safe,a friend had one the size of my big cannon safe,it weighed 3500 pounds,cast steel like a old bank safe

Moderator Emeritus

I have been toying with the purchase of another, and for what it's worth, I have been leaning to one being purveyed at the local Tractor Supply Store. I totally agree with Winger Ed's comments/post; my main concerns being two-fold: the "plumber called to unplug the sewer line" cannot see, has no idea, or is able to take what may be in the safe; and, I have a warm and fuzzy feeling that they're (firearms) all together, safe from anyone else's eyes and hands. While some safes are fire resistance -- what's their water rating -- e.g., being in cellar filled with water from fire hoses? Probably, too, because NONE of my few firearms are of any significantly high worth or value (except to me) -- mostly weather-beaten oldies -- e.g., who'd break into a safe for a forty years old plain-Jane .30-30 Marlin 336 with a Tasco scope on it? -- I again am personally not in need of something of true high security.
    BEST!
    geo

+1 on American Security , at a minimum use their locks, easy to remove your old digital crappy S&G lock and put theirs in.

Boolit Buddy

I have an Amsec safe and can recommend them highly. I have a manual lock as I don't like the electric lock either.
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

Boolit Master
    Brown Safe, out of California, can supply you anything you can dream of. Only your wallet will limit your purchase. If you don't like the track record of the electronic locks, put both on the door. Electronic for speed of opening and a manual for peace of mind. That's what I did. Mine is almost ten years old. Never use the manual..............in fact, I'd have to look up the combination. Not a hint of trouble from the electronic..............and I'm in it at least one a day.

Winelover

I always tell myself it's a one time purchase...

Until you need yet another safe to hold our common sickness...……

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast