Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Lee Enfield

The two-groove Lee Enfield was pretty symmetrical. I am under the impression that one groove was cut at a time. If so then it is conceivable that a fault occurred on that particular barrel (or batch?). It might be worth double checking that bore.

I have three two-grooves, one is mint the other two not so much but the one I shoot with is very accurate. I'm told that the mint bore is very accurate too (I've only shot with the one). All three are very symmetrical.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-07-2020 at 03:33 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

In Remembrance
    Sounds like a great rifle.
    But me, I'd put on a replacement original peep. Easy to do. The non-adjusting one. Then do what's necessary to the front sight to zero it.

Boolit Buddy

I’m in the process of making the front sight wider and taller. I’ll finalize after I settle on a load. Previous problem has been resolved .

Boolit Mold
    Looking for info on markings
    Lee enfield #1mk4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I might help a little, but don't know all the answers. First, first photo of the number on the nose cap, that originally matched the rifle's serial number. The actual serial number is shown in photos four and five on the right side of the receiver ring. Conclusion: At some point the nose cap was replaced. Photo number two, the crown over GRI indicates ownership by the King of Great Britain, George Rex Imperator. I'm not positive of the spelling of the last word, which is Latin, but it means ruler or imperial. Older late 1800 rifles were marked V.R. for Victoria Rex, the queen at the time. Of course, 1943 is the year of manufacture. Below the date is the model, No.1 Mk. III*, meaning No.1 rifle, 3rd variation, and the * indicates a change to that variation which was the removal of the single loading device which could be used to cut off the magazine's feed if pushed inward and permit loading of single rounds, whereas outward permitted the magazine to feed. The marking is of interest in that the rifles made in England usually were marked No.I Mk.III*, with Roman Numerals, whereas this uses the Latin Numeral 1. More on that in a minute. Then, in photos number three and four we see the letters RFI which stands for Rifle Factory Ishapore. The British had a huge army in India and found it expedient to establish a rifle factory at Ishapore where untold thousands of rifles were indigenously produced under British supervision. They were thought to be the equal of rifles produced in Britain. There were small, insignificant differences, and I suspect the use of the number "1" is one of them, as after India gained it's independence from British rule they continued to produce the rifles and went to No.1 Mk 3* markings. I can not tell you what the "C" or "118" means, but I suspect that they are inspector markings. After Independence the Indians marked the stock collar with a marking of three lions sitting back to back looing in all directions in place of the British crown marking. they simplified production of the nose cap by making the ears squared instead of rounded. So, all in all, your rifle is period correct to have been manufactured in India during WW II.

DG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12