Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Rem with J words

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Buck and doe with 35 Rem

Well I never got around to loading up those purple lee 200 grain 50/50 cast bullets my dad wanted for his 35 Remington 7600 this year so he ended up using a bunch of 180 grain speer hot cores that I had loaded up a few years past at 2350 feet per second out of his little carbine. The little gun is a twin to my 35 Whelen I set up last year so we have matching guns. I have not shot a deer yet with either. It was a weird Opening weekend for us. I sat all day in my tree stand on the opposite end of the property and never saw one deer during legal shooting hours! It’s not uncommon for me to see up to 50 deer on opening day and close to 30 deer on the following Sunday I guess I’m pretty spoiled. I also sat Sunday morning from dark till 1230 and ever saw a deer again. I decided to take a break because it started to rain. I was scratching my head wondering what was going on because I’ve seen passed up several decent bucks bow hunting this season waiting for Wall hanger like usual which never happened. I slipped a disc in my back on Halloween and had four nice bucks chasing doe that day. I hurt my back to the point I never got back out in the woods till November 8th and by that time we had a really nasty cold spell and deer were literally already shut down or just not on my property as I feel the rut came and gone. I wasn’t even getting hardly any big bucks on camera after the eighth. I had a nice one on the 15th at 9:45 AM but I passed up a few times that was probably 130 to 140 class deer. There are also miles of square corn that never got cut down starting a block away from my property and across the road about a mile away so I would assume all the deer are laying in that corn or most of them.

Well back to the story...

Dad and I went down to the car and had little lunch. We decided since it was raining the both sit in the shack I built him to stay dry. Got back in about 230 and at 3 PM on my side I saw three doe get up out if their beds about 80 yards laying underneath a cedar tree right in dab smack open. We were too tight in the shack and my dad didn’t wanna make noise crawling over me to try to take the shot as I offered it to him. So he decided to hand me his gun instead of using mine. I put that little carbine out the window in the magazine dropped and hit the ground in the shack making a loud bang. At that time the three doe we’re about 110 yards just about ready up into walk into the woods. The noise of the magazine stopped them and they just stared around for a few minutes while I tried to fumble that magazine back in. I never felt a click like it latched but magazine was in the gun. I then stuck his 35 Rem back out the blind at the lead doe which was the biggest but never took the shot hoping a buck would follow. After a couple minutes the doe had enough and started to trot in the woods and a buck never did show. My dad got excited when they started to try it off and told me to shoot. I did not lead far enough and I hit that lead doe broadside through the liver and just catching the tail end of the lungs. The doe immediately stopped at the shot... And the magazine fell out and hit the ground again making a loud bang. Well that loud bang from the magazine (the 2nd time) was all it took for the two doe behind the one I shot to run into the woods and the one I shot slowly trotted 20 yards to the right, went into the woods and made a complete U-turn and stopped about 20 yards directly up above where I shot it really thick brush. We then heard a thump and a little flicker of white so we both knew the deer had to of dropped. I then picked up the magazine from the ground the second time a little riled up trying to figure out what happened as I planned on shooting the other two and filling some of six doe tags. It took me a minute to figure out what happened I, repeat I, Put five rounds in his 7600 35 Rem magazine instead of four so the magazine was overloaded and wouldn’t clip into place. Good thing I used my dad‘s gun and not him or I would’ve never heard the end of it. I was used to my 30-06 7600 magazine that would only take four and wouldn’t allow a fifth one to grab. So basically I just put bullets in until they stopped going in and never counted...shame on me. Well after a minute of screwing around and figuring out it was my fault why the magazine kept falling out I put one in the chamber and we figured we’d wait a few minutes to walk up and check on that doe. I wanted to make sure to give it time and not jump it. About three minutes later the two other doe came back looking for the doe I shot walking through extremely thick brush up in my woods. I figured it was showtime and figured I’d try at least put another one in the freezer. I immediately zoomed my scope up on seven stuck it back out the shack to aim in that direction. They were about 130 to 140 yards away In the brush and it was so thick you could just see parts them of them sneaking back up to see what happened to the doe. When I got that gun Pointed in their direction I had three spots about the half of the length of deer in between three separate trees where they were heading. I knew I had about 2 seconds to take a shot or they would be out of sight. One already passed through the last available shooting lane I had and the second one was right in the last spot I could shoot. I quickly put the crosshairs right on its head and was getting ready to pull the trigger...BUT...BUT... I saw horns in the far left of my optic! I opened up my left eye and saw a buck with his head down following these two doe. I immediately closed my left eye, took aim, and sqeezed the trigger taking a Hail Mary through thick brush as the Buck was walking up the hill. I could tell the buck reacted from the shot and tried to trot up the hill which was probably all of three steps and he was out of sight but he immediately turned right back around and fell in the spot I shot him. Well it goes to show everything happens for a reason because of that magazine was loaded correctly I would’ve emptied it on those three doe and never saw that buck. It’s a nice buck. Its one of the ones I passed up bow hunting. But during gun season when everybody and their brothers normally out there shooting away my standards normally drop after opening days and I’m just happy to shoot some nice looking racks. The inside of the rack measure just a hair over 17 inches. We still have one more gun buck tag to go but are heading out of town tomorrow through rifle season end and I’m not gonna waste my time today is the schools are closed and the roads are slippery and it’s said up to 50 mile an hour winds. Starting Monday we have a 10 day muzzleloader hunt and can use our leftover rifle season buck tags. It sounds like it’s supposed to get the 40° next weekend so I would assume they’ll be up and moving around since there has been no shooting in my woods accept for me. There were barely any shots on opening day and I heard four shots on Sunday besides myself. Nobody is hunting in my surrounding area and it used to sound like World War III back in the 70s and 80s which explains why are used to see so many deer they all got kicked down to my property.

Well now that I know how deer react with jacketed bullets out of a 35 Remington it’s time to load up some of those group by hollow points with 50-50 alloy. Maybe for muzzleloader season I’ll take some of those 45 caliber hollowpoint’s and shove them in some Sabots and see if I can get them to group in my muzzleloader instead of using my 300 grain shockwave bullets so at least I can see how those group buy 45 cal 265 grain hollow point 50/50 alloys boolits work. I can’t wait for antlerless only to try out my Ruger 7744 with my 7.5 BH alloy which starts in about two weeks and is a four-day season. It was a pretty exciting day for us after putting in a day and a half and not seen a deer between both of us during legal shooting hours. As I’m writing this Wisconsin says the harvest is way down I think they said 27% down with their guessing numbers. So anybody who gets a deer this year I commend them because they sure are moving around in my neck of the woods. I did sit again on Monday afternoon after I cleaned both deer in the morning and didn’t see a darn thing. I also sat yesterday morning and the only two deer I saw were too doe running for their lives but the neighbors must’ve spooked when they went out to their car to go to work. I’m really blaming all the corn that’s up that never got cut to the lack of deer in my woods right now. With that extreme cold spell snap
    I’m sure it knocked them right in the feed mode and they’re all better than the corn fields where the wind can’t get to them and neither can I.

The bullet entered breaking the Second from the last rib and exited in front of the shoulder on the opposite side taking out both lungs. That hot-core bullet is nasty! I’m guessing I might hit brush before the bullet entered because on entry I found a good sliver of lead under the skin And the rib where it entered look like frayed pieces of straw on both sides where it split. The rib was shattered a good 4 to 5 inches long. The bullet completely exited the deer going almost 3/4’s lengthwise through it.

I promise a post some cast bullet harvests in the next couple weeks!

I was down to about 10 packs of hamburger from all the deer I harvested last year so it was a blessing to get some tags filled.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-27-2019 at 09:36 PM.

That’s a nice buck .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Got it ready for a European mount. I’ll have to boil it next week.

Boolit Grand Master
    good job tripple
    like you I did not see much activity and not a lot of shooting
    I got a glimpse of a deer on Sunday my son shot a big doe
    but all in all not a good year so far for me but thats hunting
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    good job tripple
    like you I did not see much activity and not a lot of shooting
    I got a glimpse of a deer on Sunday my son shot a big doe
    but all in all not a good year so far for me but thats hunting
    Well it sounds like tomorrow’s the day if it’s going to happen. I looked at the forecast and it supposed to be nice but the rest of the week doesn’t sound the greatest. As much as I hate to call it done for rifle buck season and head out of town for Thanksgiving i’m looking forward to a few days break to come back with the muzzleloader since it sounds like the weathers going to get nice again next week.

I don’t know how far north you are but I have a buddy in the Wausau area that hasn’t seen a deer either and he normally sees a lot like I do in years past.

Boolit Master
    Great work with great rifles, I love those pump Remingtons!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

USMC 77, USRA 79

way up north here, the wolves are working the deer pretty hard, but I still got mine...

very nice work Trip, good deer and great details too!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Nice kills 3beards! Nice buck and a huge doe!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Yeah, I normally never shoot doe unless it’s the first couple weeks of bow hunting, the last day of muzzleloader hunting at the very last minute, or our antlerless only season... But that doe was a hog and it was the first deer I saw. I think that was the first doe I’ve shot in about 10 years or so during gun season... When it was required to shoot a doe first before a buck”earn a buck”. But I would basically shoot a couple doe during archery season for that. I was out of venison except for a couple packs of hamburger so I wasn’t gonna pass it up at the rate I was going and not seeing any deer... I like eating venison not tags. I just got lucky that the magazine fell out and the other two doe ran before I could figure out what was going on and then came back to inspect what happened with the buck following them.

I can’t wait for antlerless only season here in two weeks so I can try out my softer 7.5 BH devastator out of my Ruger 7744. I’m expecting a deer not to travel very far with a well placed shot this year.

Next year I start bow hunting earlier and not wait till Halloween like usual and go out the first couple of weeks to get some doe in the freezer like old times.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-28-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Well, after season closed out of all my buddies only one scored. The lucky stiff shot a really nice 10 pointer 5 minutes before Sunday close. All the rest didn’t see a single deer! This has been a very weird year here in WI. I blame the corn still standing. I’ve been out of town since last Wednesday for thanksgiving so I’ll be back out muzzle loading starting today to try and fill our last gun buck tag. If I wouldn’t of filled a horn tag I would’ve stuck around here and skipped the holidays as usual but before I left I checked the weather forecast and it said we’re supposed to have some pretty crummy weather with rain and snow every day. When I got home yesterday it didn’t look bad though for snow. Oh well it was a nice break and I can get back in action! I think I’m gonna skip the morning and head out in the afternoon since it’s a high of 38 today. I’m up right now but I’ve got a few things to do around the house before I hit the woods.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-03-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It has been a weird year in my part of MI as well. The harvest is way down.

A father and daughter who normally harvest 10 deer a year only got 2 this year during rifle season. I only harvest one a year as that is all I want, but normally see quite a few. Nothing yet, but hoping for better results during late antlerless.

Wishing you luck Trip!
    Don Verna

Imo besides the standing corn we had a cold weather snap the first couple of days of November along with snow which I feel knocked them out of rut quicker and into “feed” mode. Reminded me what happens in the spring when I’m hunting turkeys and they stop responding to calls in crappy weather and snow. They just stand in the middle of the field huddled more worried about survival and food. I think a few of these things have to play with it this year along with the later deer season here. Normally the deer running around still acting like it’s the tail end of the rut during gun season here. I used to blame it on early youth gun hunting but I always see bucks running around during the day time chasing doe afterwards here...just not nearly as many after they opened up early youth gun season. It was a good idea for kids but it’s just very poorly planned for timing wise because it’s the middle of October which is when the deer start going in rut and they knock them nocturnal white shooting right off the bat. I’d rather see the DNR do it the first week of September. That way the bucks are still nocturnal and doe everywhere that walk up to because they’ve been left alone all year long. It would definitely take deer numbers down(because that’s our DNRs goal) by opening up youth season a lot earlier. We are too when I was a kid you had a 9 day gun season it was all over. Now there’s a youth season, a 10 day muzzleloader season, and a holiday hunt besides our main hunt. And this is besides giving the unlimited amount of doe tags... And listening to the single shots from the Amish farm area just about every other night I’m bowhunting. I believe part of it is the deer numbers are down and the DNR as usual can’t forecast anything correctly.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    saw a group of 5 doe at noon the last day of the gun season
    in a blinding snow storm then at 1:00 I see 3 more doe but
    didn't get on them and had not brushed out my stand enough
    so no shot at them
    trying the m/l tom and Thursday
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I feel better. I was cleaning both hearts this morning. The smaller doe heart got grazed by my bullet so apparently I hit it more forward than I thought I did.

I boiled it the other day and figured I’d ad it to the post.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-21-2019 at 03:35 PM.

It looks great. Glue one of your cartridges on the forehead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It looks great. Glue one of your cartridges on the forehead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I like that idea.

I actually have a bunch piled up along the top of my kitchen cabinets and refrigerator. I am running out of room. The fridge has about a good 8 piled on top of each other and a good 30 or more on my cabinets. I might have to make a shelf for the overflow. I also have a ship coffee table with a glass top filled to the brim with smaller antlers.

If you look under the main beams there is a hole on each of the undersides. If it were only on one side I’d blame a tick but they are on equal sides. Kinda weird.

Boolit Master
    Try the Hornady 200 grain FTX bullet in that 35 Remington. From my 358 Winchester, it was devastating to a whitetail buck's lungs. He fell within 25 yards, exit wound down. When I dressed him out, there was no blood left in the chest cavity.

Boolit Master

Tripplebeards: Nice write-up, and equally nice deer. From your great write-up, and the pictures I can tell you ended up having a good season so far.Your skull mount looks great. I shot a nice 6 point this year and I have cooked him a couple of times, and will give him another good cooking when I get the time.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I just normally put my deer head in a boiling pot of water on the stove in the morning and make sure I’m around all day and keep adding water to it every 45 minutes to an hour. Normally by 3 or 4 o’clock the mess is all done. I remove the skull several times and run it under the sink and peel off meat and use a toothbrush. I also take a metal skewer or whatever will fit inside the brain cavity and wiggle it around and then shake it up and down in the sink to get the brains out. It’s a mess but they always turn out nice. After I get it clean enough I dump all the dirty boiling water out...in the sewer outside so it doesn’t clog my drain. I then re-fill up the pot with clean water add some peroxide and some dish soap and turn it on low and let it sit for about an hour to an hour and a half and they get the skull turns white. This one actually had a buddy in the pot when I was doing it. One of my good friend shot a nice 10 pointer on the last day of season and I told him for his birthday I would do a European mount on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast