MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Some years back I met an older gent who had a wildcat based on the 284 Winchester cas

Boolit Master

Some years back I met an older gent who had a wildcat based on the 284 Winchester cas

OK that all didn't come out. Anyway the old guy had a wildcat based on the 284 Winchester case. Cut off the shoulder sized it and was loading 45acp 230 grain round nosed bullets. Basic firearm was a Ar 15 with heavy barrel and muzzle break. He cut the carry handle off and installed a Weaver picatinny rail and has a scope mounted. Always thought the 230 grain RN was a poor choice for a bullet. the gun was literally drenched in oil. 250 grain would have been better. Can anyone remember what they called that cartridge??. Thanks,Frank

Most of the 284 family wildcats, and there's a few, were just called their cal. and 284 Winchester.

Like: .35-284 Winchester, .25-284 Winchester, and if that's true, yours would just have been called .45-284 Winchester.

A few folks were tinkering around with 284 wildcats a few years ago, and their info is still in various site's archives,
    Do a search on them like that: ".45-284 Winchester", and some things will come up. Including using a 230 gr in .452cal.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-27-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't realize there were that many Wildcats based on the 284 case, but I suppose that I should have. I shoot a 6.5-284 in long range competition. I also built a varmint rifle using the same reamer.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    There were/are wildcats at every step from 22 to 375, maybe not 9.3(?). I shortened the 35-284 to 2" and rechambered a Marlin 336 35 Rem. 2600fps with a Speer 220, 2400+ with a Speer 250 with nose flattened. The .475 Wildey was based on the shortened .284. Many articles on various versions, one was a 375-284 on a Savage 99 (Gun Digest?)
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 11-27-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: correct 25-284 to 35-284

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like the 450 bushmaster of present. Don't forget the 44-284. Killed my first elk with one. Used to have an XP100 in that caliber too

Boolit Buddy
    The cartridge you're talking about is probably the .45 Professional which became the 450 Bushmaster after the case was shortened to put Hornady FTX bullets in it.

Boolit Master

I shoot a 6mm-284, amazing prairie dog and yote gun.

Every time a new case size comes out the wildcatters go nuts with it. They neck it to everything they can. The blow it out, they shorten it.
    After a few years most go away. A few make. A lot of our cartridges are necked up or down on just a few basic case sizes.
    Then after a few more years people discover this basic cartridge and try a wildcat. Most of these new cartridges are often the same as some of the older wildcats. They may perform a bit better with some of the new powders that were not around for the old time wildcats.
    It's getting pretty hard not to repeat someone else wildcat.
    Most of the new ones we hear about are designed to fit in the AR platform.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, he never mentioned the name of the cartridge and good thing I asked and all he would tell me that he was using a cut down 284 win case. Frank

Boolit Master
    45 raptor is 308 chopped to take 45 caliber more likely .452 or .458 tho this was designed for the ar10 platform but died off before it could take hold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Every time a new case size comes out the wildcatters go nuts with it. They neck it to everything they can. The blow it out, they shorten it.
    After a few years most go away. A few make. A lot of our cartridges are necked up or down on just a few basic case sizes.
    Then after a few more years people discover this basic cartridge and try a wildcat. Most of these new cartridges are often the same as some of the older wildcats. They may perform a bit better with some of the new powders that were not around for the old time wildcats.
    It's getting pretty hard not to repeat someone else wildcat.
    Most of the new ones we hear about are designed to fit in the AR platform.
    Leo
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's more rounds cumulatively sold for SAAMI cartridges based on 284 than there are actual 284 cartridges. It's used as a parent for a few things.

Yeah, AR (10 or 15) is king for new cartridges; I mean really that's the only capability you can find that something old can't fill. I mean look at 6 Creedmoor for instance, the real benefit is it will let you shoot 108 and 115gr bullets without going over COAL for an AR-10 mag. Secondary benefits are that it supposedly has a better shoulder angle that decreases barrel burning and it has 1-200FPS on a 243 win that's been around for coming near 65 years now. The 300BO is practically a shouldered remix of the 30 carbine with extra bullet weights IMO.