MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Ammo carry

Ammo carry

What do you guys use to carry your pretty BPRC rounds to the range? I feel kind of silly taking the Sharps out of its leather case, while carrying a plastic ammo box
    Lol. I've been thinking about building a wooden box, since finding any box to carry the 45/120s in a vertical position seems difficult. Laying down and rattling around just isn't what I'd like either. Thanks for any ideas.

Boolit Master
    How about a leather belt with loops in it? Just an off the wall thought!

Im like you. I like my stuff to match, and mostly be period correct. For my good old winchester, I made a wooden box out of a 2x4. Seems to work well. I also made leather carriers. Wood boxes are easy to make and I see some standard easy DIY project looking boxes go for hundreds.

If you want, you can make period correct wooden boxes for your rifle. Make compartments inside for ammo. Mine is still a WIP.

I made mine to looks rough on purpose. The brass plaque is a case I cut and flattened.

Fast Ronnie....I can do the wood work, not so much on the leather. Besides, my rifle rounds would need quite the wide belt.
    Kev18..I quite like that idea. All together one place, and could put in the flexible wipe rod as well.

Vendor Sponsor

I think we are not allowed to post links. Or maybe we are?

So to be on the safe side, on your own you can check SPG sales for Wood's ammo boxes. They have a large supply of popular BPCR ammo boxes at very good prices for USA made goods.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have a old leather box dated 1888 so I'm guessing it was for the 11mm mauser. Has two belt loops and will hold 20 rounds of Hornady 45=70 leveroulotion ammo. Haven't tried it with 45-70's loaded with 500 grain bullets yet. I made up some loading trays that will hold 59 rounds and one huge one that will hold about 130 rounds. used a 5/8" forstener bit and coated the ballistic lexan with layout die and set about scribing the lines. Set the stop on my drill press and started drilling. Drilled out so much lexan that now it is convex instead of flat. Frank

Hello okietwolf,

This is what I use for 44 Colt.
    https://www.hampelswoodlandproducts.com/
    I sent him the plastic tray and told him how tall the cartridge was in the tray,
    he built & delivered six boxes in less than a week. I did add rubber pads to the bottom.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hampel-1.jpg  

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Chill Wills;4771174]I think we are not allowed to post links. Or maybe we are?

So to be on the safe side, on your own you can check SPG sales for Wood's ammo boxes. They have a large supply of popular BPCR ammo boxes at very good prices for USA made goods.[/QUOTE

Links are no problem.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you know anybody that smokes fine cigars, talk them out of an empty box, layer the rounds in that cigar box.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    If I'm just going to the range with 40-60 rounds for practice I use J&J Products plastic cases. They will hold .45-110 rounds base down.

For travelling to matches I use wooden boxes. I have a 100 round box I built myself, based on BACO wooden loading trays. I also have another 100 round box built by a friend, and a new 200 rounder that I bought from Shiloh. All of those will hold long cartridges base down.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I build my boxes for base down carry too. Most of them hold 165 rounds. They are not light when full, but they are strong and more damage resistant than plastic.

I'm assuming the base down it to help minimize potential boolit damage, are you not concerned with potential grease migration to the powder?

Boolit Master
    No, I'm a paper patcher. No, grease, which would migrate uphill anyway. Paper patchers frequently have bullets fall out of their cases when inverted.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've made a few. As a construction detail, I through drilled the body and then applied a thin board uniformly across the bottom. When glued and tacked in place, the cartridges sat exactly at the same level. I tried the stop on the drill press a couple times but always seemed to have a little variation in either the drill depth or torn fibers from the wood that stuck out down deep. YMMV

Boolit Master
    I drill them with a brad point bit, but there are many ways to do it. Each has pluses and minuses.

Boolit Master

I've made cartridge blocks out of high-density foam ( https://www.generalplastics.com/mark...ling-and-molds )...easy to work and relatively inexpensive. Blocks are cut to fit inside 8" steel file boxes...like your wife uses for recipes and kitchen notes. A bit more 'class' than green plastic and every bit as durable.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"