RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Anyone know of a 45acp mold that resembles HST?

Anyone know of a 45acp mold that resembles HST?

I'm wanting to cast a load or buy precasted loads that would mimic the profile of the HST so I can check for feeding issues without spending $2 a blast.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use these. In Autopistol ignore the crimp groove and seat to the same OAL as your HST factory load.

They will weigh 245 grains in wheelweights and cycle with 3.5 grains of Bullseye.

I use the same load in .45 Auto Rim and .455 MkII seating the bullet out to the crimp groove.

Attachment 252006
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Any chance of some like that but in 230gr?

NOE makes this one
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n.o.e._bullet_moulds_452-232-hp_pb_ab1_sketch.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	252007

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Any chance of some like that but in 230gr?
    Taz beat me to it, here's the link: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...2vkkfvinaoe8v1
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Targetsports usa has been running a sale on HST off and on about once a month. They rotate HST and Speer it seems. I got a bunch of 147gr 9mm for $.40/ rd. sale is only on 50 rd boxes and yyou need to add to cart to see discount.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...OFF/5-2234398/

Not on sale right now but if you keep an eye on the link they will probably go back on.

Those look very similar to good dots in profile. Ammodepot has gold dot overruns reasonable sometimes, if that's of any interest to you.

Boolit Master
    here is where I get my HST reasonable compared local stores.
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...p-ammo-p45hs1g

Banned

If you are going to carry HST's, you are going to need to shoot a bunch anyway to make sure they are 100% in your chosen firearm.

Boolit Master
    When choosing a defense load I always buy 100rnds. Set aside the ones for use and fire the rest to check for function. I know some would consider that too few but my experience has been that if a malfunction is going to occur because of the bullet design it will happen in the first few mag loads.

Then find a cast bullet of similar weight to practice with.

Boolit Grand Master

This group buy, which I hope closes soon. I has been in last call since the beginning of September. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...with-HP-option

Boolit Buddy
    Check with RMR BULLETS https://www.rmrbullets.com/
    They have had some in the past from ammo they have pulled.
    I would also just suggest buying a box and shooting them as it will give you all the answers like will they chamber, cycle, what is the recoil like and are they accurate in your gun. I made the mistake of not testing the actual ammo I was looking to use as a self defense ammo and bought a case of it and found out that my gun didn't like it so much (my shotgun shot better patterns then that ammo in my gun.) I was lucky because one of my other guns love it so I got off easy. I also suggest running at least 200 rounds of your chosen load before carrying it so you are comfortable with it and shoot it at different distances. Yes it is expensive but if/when the time comes that you need it you will know how the load should work. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    When choosing a defense load I always buy 100rnds. Set aside the ones for use and fire the rest to check for function. I know some would consider that too few but my experience has been that if a malfunction is going to occur because of the bullet design it will happen in the first few mag loads.

Then find a cast bullet of similar weight to practice with.
    I am about the same. If my gun is proven reliable, then full mag from each carry mag as fast as I can run it is good enough for me. Malfs will show up sooner than later with ammo/bullet types in your pistol. So who is to say it is only perfect after 100rds vs say 20rds vs say 101rds or 21rds.
    Practice ammo is practice ammo, doesn't really matter what the bullet shape is. POI & recoil impulse are what is important in practice ammo IMO. I can duplicate any load I want with a coated lead bullet for practice ammo.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Personally, I carry whatever HPs I can get. Winchester white box in 45 auto from Walmart is about 30.00 per 50, while WM still has some. Right now I have some Hornady green rubber tipped HPs a friend gave me. My gun isn't sensative to ammo, so a mag or two is all I test before I trust it. I've never found any factory ammo of any variety that it didn't function with. I like gold dots and cheap winchester HPs personally. I've had several federal handgun rounds fail in water jug tests. Factory 44 mag soft points and a 9mm hydra shok, jacket core separations. Ain't captured none of the 45 auto federals in water.

Boolit Master

Many years ago, I went into Mountain Man/Black Powder shop which was a treat. Lots of old timey wares, geared for those who participated in rendezvous and such. I was shooting an 1858 Remington copy a lot back then. Anyway, I spotted an old single cavity Lee mold that cast a conical HP 200gr supposedly .450, but actually cast a bit larger. I already had the Lee 450-200 1R and figured what the heck. Well, this mold had sat on the shelf for so long that it was marked with the 1970s price of $12.79 for the mold.

A few years later, I bought a 1911 and several molds to boot. I decided to try loading both of the conical boolits and see how they flew. Surprisingly, they both shot well even though they were both tapered boolits to ease in seating into the Rem. cylinder. I decided the HP mold would benefit from having the taper decreased slightly. They still load in the Rem. but I have stuck with RB for the Rem loads.

Some years back, I ordered some dies from PatMarlins to make plain base gas checks from soda cans. I launched some of the HP Conical boolits from a H&R 1871 20" 45 Colt Carbine, and approached 2000 fps. But this is about 45 ACP loads. The conical 450 HP shoots very well out of my 1911, my Old Model Vaquero, and of course the Classic Carbine.

I know the OP is looking for a boolit mold to simulate the 230 HP. I have seen the NOE mold specs for an HP 230 and would purchase that were it not that I already have more 45 molds for that one caliber, more than all the other calibers I shoot. However, the NOE is tempting. I should buy more molds for my wife's latest fav cartridge, 44 for which I currently only have 2. I will say that the 200 1R HP shoots fast and flat from my Vaquero and 1911. Powder coated and launched at 1911 or carbine velocities does not require a PB GC, but the little soda can checks shrink my groups measurably.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Until you've tested exactly what you're going to shoot, you haven't tested exactly what you're going to shoot. It's your life insurance policy - spend the two bucks a pop to find out if your provider is worthwhile.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

The Lyman 452374 hollow pointed with a .156" diameter HP pin comes pretty close to that bullet profile. Shoot a load of them in my Ruger .45 convertible out of ACP cases./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....