RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peanut oil mix

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    WD40 is nothing but fish oil with a perfume to kill the fishy stink .I rarely use it . ATF and acetone is much better for soaking rusted parts .Even diesel fuel is good for this application .Copper or brass wool with oil for scrubbing rust off surfaces with out removing any blueing finish.Electrolysis for getting rust out of pitting ,but will remove blueing ,but wont damage parent metal .

Thanks all. Guess I need to watch my mineral and vegi oil mixing. Guess I never have done this before.

Education never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post

1875 Remington repro Italian made ... "Replica Arms" stamped on the barrel top.

Has a 4 digit serial number, but know very little to nothing about this company, so no idea when built.

It's an import, ergo besides the importer's name, there has to be a maker's mark somewhere on the metal.

Replica Arms was one of the early US importers of BP arms - Some were made by Uberti and some by Armi San Marco.

They were based in Marietta, OH and imported guns in the 1960's & 70's, later getting bought out by Navy Arms.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Vendor Sponsor

Hmmm. The peanut oil got my attention. I just read this.
    It is the Uberty 1858 hiding under the oil and rust I want to see a picture of. Showing us how the revolver is coming along would be fun.

I read this because I was wondering what the use could be, the only place in gun work I have found a use for vegi oils was the treatment of bluing. Boiled linseed oil is used to stop the slow rust blue process and to my surprise, it does a great job. Then also it can be used in stock finish work.
    Chill Wills

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1575811912285478483122.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	252582

Name:	15758119711151322974978.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	252583

Name:	15758120822351368273257.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	252584

Name:	1575812229898416215918.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	252585

Name:	15758122704311741332199.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	252586

Name:	15758123188761765572416.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	252587

There she is. Had it soaking in diesel for 1 week to get into the pours of the metal. Did good and allows me to see the extent of the rust damage.

Other then ugly, I think she is a shooter. The muzzle is way the worst and may need to be shortened to 5.5 inch ... which does not break my heart anyway.

An aside here ... I had 4 quarts of the peanut oil ... used 2 to begin my rust stopping and 2 quarts unopened. The new unopened quarts are also milky now ... presumably the chill in the shop. I will bring them all inside and allow em to warm back up to see if all my fussing is explained by simple chilly weather... bout 36 to 45 degree in the shop. Wouldnt that be a hoot! Never occured that the thick milky lookin goop could be simply chilly vegi oil!

Name:	15763482611151142383459.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	252986

Mystery SOLVED;

NEVER thought that any vegi oil would do this but ... low n behold ... it DID!

38 to 49 degree temps in my shop. THATS ABOVE ZERO! I had no idea that vegi oil would gel at these high temps. But guess what ... IT DO!!! That is the whole mystery ... complete!!! Just cool temps did this.

I saved the actual nut oil/WD-40 mix and today I brought the oil in the house on a hunch and put the cantainers in hot tap water in the sink. Let them soak for about 10 minutes and WALLA ... back to regular oil again.

So this pilgrim has learned another lesson ... maybe valuable ... maybe not ... but itz logged in for future reference.

Boolit Master
    Hey look at that. Good to know.

Boolit Master
    I love it . Thanks for telling us about your adventure .

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Hmmm. The peanut oil got my attention. I just read this.
    It is the Uberty 1858 hiding under the oil and rust I want to see a picture of. Showing us how the revolver is coming along would be fun.

I read this because I was wondering what the use could be, the only place in gun work I have found a use for vegi oils was the treatment of bluing. Boiled linseed oil is used to stop the slow rust blue process and to my surprise, it does a great job. Then also it can be used in stock finish work.
    Srry Chill's but did not get photo's of the poor revolver laying in the goop. Had I known then what I know now ... coulda just brought it back in the house ... warmed it all up ... and had a BUNCH easier cleanup ... BUT ... the HARD way has ALWAYS been my mode of operations. I learn best after doing the absolute hardest way in just about everything.

In Remembrance
    Ted, PM sent.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    peanut oil on a gun forum is usually related to heat bending butt-stocks on high end shotguns.

Boolit Master

Dura Coat makes a product for filling rust pits after which the gun would have to be Dura Coated with their finish product. I have salvaged many rusted rifles using
    this product available from Midway USA. The Dura Coat finish is better than bluing.

Larry

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    peanut oil on a gun forum is usually related to heat bending butt-stocks on high end shotguns.
    ??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there is still color on the frame.
    I have used oxalic acid to neutralize rust on gun parts - its sold as wood bleach at hardware stores usually.
    Makes the metal a dull gray sort of like French gray. Cheap and works quickly too.

Also, as we are sourcing solutions from the kitchen, Molasses and water (10% molasses 90% water) soaked for a couple weeks makes an excellent rust remover!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    ??????

if you wanna bend a shotgun stock, or any other, for that matter, wrap the wood where you wanna bend it in linen and pour 400* peanut oil over it and the wood will soften and can bend, preferably in a constant pressure jig. peanut oil stays liquid at higher temp than any other natural oil that is compatible with wood application, so is better for this than anything else. after bending, let sit, clean, and regular tung oil finish.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Uberti octagon logo on the butt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12