WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut oil mix

Peanut oil mix

So purchased a poor abused revolver that is very rusty in spots . So I took it completely apart ... every part except removing the barrel.

Spraying it down with wd-40 ... I poured the container containing all the parts including the barreled action full of pure peanut oil thinking if soaked in the oil, it should kill the rusting advance and allow the rust to be buffed off with my small wire brush's ( yes it has deep rust and doubt any finish will survive).

Going out to check on it today, I see that the peanut oil is thick and milky slimy concoction. Not sure what happened exactly but man what a mess.

Is this a reaction to the WD-40 or something that may have been on the revolver or maybe a reaction to the rust?

I have it dripping out the mess but really am curious of what happened here.

I believe the revolver will survive and may just either naval jelly it or maybe a vinegar soak.

I will probably do a antique job on it just for giggles and enjoy it.

Any ideas?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm not sure why you chose peanut oil? For cooking sure, for mixing BP bullet lubricant with beeswax sure, but not to de-gunk a rusty gun, no way... I've always used ATF to free up rusted farm machinery and antique guns.

It does the job well, breaking loose frozen screws, etc. and cleans up easily with mineral spirits or acetone.

A 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone works better than liquid wrench or Kroil.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Atf and maybe some Marvel mystery oil , Put peanut oil? not less you’re planning on deep frying out revolver !
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

In Remembrance
    Ted, one way to eliminate the oil/WD40 result would be to put a bit of each in a small bottle or dish and see what happens. Other than that, I have no idea.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Seems weird. Sure would like to know the secret. Never guessed WD-40 mixed with vegi oil would have such a strange reaction.

The mix (just guessin) maybe 40 to 1.

Never had the slightest bit of trouble taking it apart. Did not need to loosen any screws or parts ... just stall the process of rust and get it to soften up a bit.

Mystery continues
    Last edited by bigted; 11-26-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    You forgot to put a dusting of flour on before putting it in the oil... oh wait, this isn’t the cooking channel, is it?

Remember, if you want to penetrate rust, etc, thinner is better. Pure peanut oil might make a decent rust preventative for long term storage, but it will not penetrate previously rusted parts and crevices and I personally would consider it only a last resort. There are better oils for cooking and just about any petroleum based oil would be superior for gun applications.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Lucas Tool Box Buddy both penetrates and dissolves rust. But does not remove bluing.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

What kind of revolver did you acquire?

It's obvious that your revolver has a peanut allergy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ha ... allergy indeed!

1875 Remington repro Italian made ... "Replica Arms" stamped on the barrel top. Has a 4 digit serial number but know very little to nothing about this company so no idea when built.

Always wanted to get one of the 1875's and finally got the chance at under 175 dollars to play with one.

Should be fun for sure. Gotta figure out if I can get parts for it such as a new hand.

One source for parts might be Dixie Gun Works.

Moderator Emeritus

WD40 is really good at removing old adhesive labels.
    Peanut oil is really good for cooking Turkey.
    ATF is really good at penetrating rust.

The question shouldn't be, why the "peanut oil is thick and milky slimy concoction" ?

The question should be, why did you use WD40 and Peanut oil ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    This has got to be a joke. Peanut oil to be followed by naval jelly or vinegar and wire brushing, come on.

Stop doing all this stuff. Order some bronze wool and use it with a light oil to scrub the rusty areas. Once you’ve removed most of it you’ll be able to evaluate the level of pitting and decide if you want to go for the full strip and refinish.

Interesting how many want to know WHY! I assure you it is no joke my friend.

Happens to be what I had on hand on the spur of the moment.

Here is THE QUESTION again ... does anybody know or have heard of this happening with a vegi oil/WD-40 mix.

I do not feel the need for explaining further ... just had a desire to learn something here. If you do not have any more of a clue then me ... or can educate me as to the why of vegi oil turning into thick cruddy milky solution ... then maybe we can all learn together.

I have the rust removal well in hand to discover what my next course of action should be ... just wanted to touch base with folks that may be able to help me unravel my little mystery.

Boolit Master
    The peanut oil became cloudy because something in the wd40, probably the mineral oil but maybe some of the Alkanes, cause the oil to polymerize. Not sure if the peanut oil caused the mineral oil to polymerize or the other way around. If you’ve got some excess peanut oil and want to play with it maybe mix in some pure mineral oil, ie baby oil, and see what happens. If it clouds up it’s the oil, if not it’s the alkanes.

Boolit Master
    Oh, an apologies if my earlier post offended. I understand having to make use of what you have at hand. In the future just soaking it with wd40 will be sufficient for at least several days, dump it in an ammo can and toss the gun parts in, close the lid and it’ll be good for months or years. Soaking in kerosene would work too.

Thanks for that. The reaction caught me by surprise is all and kinda weird ... never had a reaction with the WD and anything.

Naa its all good ... just seekin answers for my little mystery ... I am definitely not any kind of scientist at all and so in my little part of the universe ... when I observe an abnormality ... it causes me pause and interest in what is going on.

This project is very fun and today I uncovered under a rust patch the "Uberti" symbol on the bottom of the gripframe so that mystery is solved.

Scrubbing the bore of the barrel, I see great rifling and no permanent damage to the bore. Outside the barrel is rust damaged but I do not think it goes deep enough to compromise the integrity of the barrel.

Some spots on the frame and hammer but just surface ... nothing goes deep thank goodness.

As stated above however ... finish wise, I am going to have to go in another direction then blue. The rust spots are too deep for a nice smooth finish ... therefore my comment above about a naval jelly or vinegar finish to approach an antique style in the white style of finish.

I once played a trick on someone who swiped my oil additive and replaced it with hydraulic fluid.

Aiming for revenge, I got hold of some oil that smelled right and had the right colour so I mixed it with cooking oil and got the right viscosity.

It jelled.

I strained the jel out then bottled it without breaking the seal (through a hole in the bottom which I sealed with a hot iron. After several months the seal was broken and the contents gone. Still more months later I got told that the additive of mine made his engine smoke! Hah! Caught him!

Anyway, the point is that vegetable oils and mineral oils don't play well together.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

reactions between different materials can happen easily and quickly. greases oils and chemicals can be devastating when they happen. Mixing petroleum's or synthetics with vegetable oils can cause it also. At one factory they changed greases from clay based to a wax based, company said was compatible every 1/8" grease line had to be replaced as the 2 made an hard putty that wouldn't flow thru the lines. Reactions can be baffling and sometimes dangerous.

Boolit Buddy
    Nuts!!! (As Gen. McAuliffe would say.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast