RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Magazine length choices for Marlin 1895, what would you do?

Magazine length choices for Marlin 1895, what would you do?

I acquired a barreled 1895 action.
    The aftermarket barrel is a 28 inch long octagon.
    It has a rounded recess cut in the bottom for the mag tube, full length.

My first thought was to make a full length tube for the aesthetics.

Now I can only find a tube that is 25" long. So, three inches short of the muzzle. I may be able to weld two tubes together under the forearm to make one long enough to go the whole 28".

Then I thought about the accuracy issues with having the tube attached so far out.

Maybe the regular length tube might look OK and effect accuracy less.

Any thoughts on accuracy for the different choices???

For the looks part, I think I am going to get a dowel painted black and give it a look. Concerned it might look funny with the rounded groove in the bottom of the barrel with nothing in it, if I go with the short tube.

If you are still with me, there is one more wrinkle. Centered 5/16 inch from the muzzle, in the bottom groove is a 1/4" dia. shallow hole that appears to have been for the original magazine tube end screw. It may have had an anchor, silver soldered in place, as there is some scratching and gouging around the hole. Is that a possibility?

Let the speculating and brainstorming begin.

Boolit Buddy
    I personally dont care for the look of shortened magazine tubes. So if it were me I'd make one to work full length for aesthetics alone. But it's your rifle so it should look however you want.

Boolit Master

Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got one with a 26" barrel and always wished it was 28". I like the look of a long barrelled lever rifle. Make the magazine tube the full length to the end of the barrel. You can silver solder, braze or weld it together and hide the joint under the forend. Make sure there is nothing inside the tube at the joint to restrict the ammo moving past it. I don't think accuracy will be an issue. Good luck with your project. Pictures are in order when it is completed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    I acquired a barreled 1895 action.
    The aftermarket barrel is a 28 inch long octagon.
    It has a rounded recess cut in the bottom for the mag tube, full length.

My first thought was to make a full length tube for the aesthetics.

Now I can only find a tube that is 25" long. So, three inches short of the muzzle. I may be able to weld two tubes together under the forearm to make one long enough to go the whole 28".

Then I thought about the accuracy issues with having the tube attached so far out.

Maybe the regular length tube might look OK and effect accuracy less.

Any thoughts on accuracy for the different choices???

For the looks part, I think I am going to get a dowel painted black and give it a look. Concerned it might look funny with the rounded groove in the bottom of the barrel with nothing in it, if I go with the short tube.

If you are still with me, there is one more wrinkle. Centered 5/16 inch from the muzzle, in the bottom groove is a 1/4" dia. shallow hole that appears to have been for the original magazine tube end screw. It may have had an anchor, silver soldered in place, as there is some scratching and gouging around the hole. Is that a possibility?

Let the speculating and brainstorming begin.
    If this was a winchester
    Go down the homeware store and get a piece of 19mm chinese curtain rod - use a propane torch to burn the plastic coating off it, polish it up , heat blue it with the torch, cut to required length - ya got a perfect fit tube - OD is exactly correct - its thinner wall than the old one so a little more easily damaged but works fine .
    Maybe this works for a marlin?????? (I dont own a marlin - dont like em for no reason other than free choice)
    19mmtube for all the 45-70size cases - 16mm for 44-40 size cases
    This stuff runs about a dollar a foot and easy to find.