Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General ML accuracy questions

Boolit Master

General ML accuracy questions

As I understand it, overshot cards/wads help to create a seal for gas blowby which results in more consistent velocity/pressure and results in better accuracy...I would assume on conical loads it helps to protect the bullet base too? Am I missing anything about wads/overshot cards?

Is there any harm or danger (aside from a potential negative impact on accuracy) for putting an overshot card and/or wad on all BP loads? If I understand correctly what they do why not use them all the time (I guess for Minnie ball that would cause a problem as the wad or card could jam into the skirt)

Can I test with variables such as felt wad, over powder card, powdered fillers in the load stack to see what works best? Or is this futile. My goal is to get as good a seal behind that boolit as possible to eliminate variables in velocity and pressure...but not sure if I can try too much or too many variables and introduce additional accuracy sapping potential

Second question is loading procedure and bouncing the rod. I bounce the loading rod to ensure I have a slightly compressed load and no airspace. Wouldn't this deform the boolit? Does this effect accuracy?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Try with and without a wad or card. My tc rifles both wanted a wad to shoot conicals, the 54 showed much improved prb groups with a wad. Other rifles don't seem to need them.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    If you happen to shoot 54 cal, a 28ga shotgun shotcup wad works really well. I drop in a 50 cal rb and put a gob of lube in the center compression part of the wad. They go down the barrel very easy shot after shot and my 54 cal CVA shoots them into about 1 1/4" at 50yds. May shoot better if I had better eyes. I assume it seals the bore very well and also seems to lube the bore very well. Not very traditional but it works.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine uses cotton balls between the powder and patched ball. 200 yd shots are no problem for him. (I have trouble seeing that far)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You do not need to bounce the ramrod. I hate seeing people doing that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    I use a felt wad smeared with lube under my conical bullets for both .40 and .50. The .40 I shoot at 200 yards and get consistent results.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    As I understand it, overshot cards/wads help to create a seal for gas blowby which results in more consistent velocity/pressure and results in better accuracy...I would assume on conical loads it helps to protect the bullet base too? Am I missing anything about wads/overshot cards?

Is there any harm or danger (aside from a potential negative impact on accuracy) for putting an overshot card and/or wad on all BP loads? If I understand correctly what they do why not use them all the time (I guess for Minnie ball that would cause a problem as the wad or card could jam into the skirt)

Second question is loading procedure and bouncing the rod. I bounce the loading rod to ensure I have a slightly compressed load and no airspace. Wouldn't this deform the boolit? Does this effect accuracy?
    First off, yes, over powder cards help with some boolits, but not all especially with minies. We shoot minies in competition in the NSSA and wads are a no no and absolutely not good for accuracy. The only way to tell is experiment.

Second, bouncing the ramrod? Really? I mean we go to great lengths casting perfect boolits looking for accuracy and then slapping them out of shape with a ramrod makes zero sense. That said, consistent seating pressure does help in round ball and conicals. Last summer, I worked on a project teaching Scouts muzzleloading. We used Zouave muskets with minies. I ran one of the muskets in an open shoot for over 50 shots straight with no wiping and no loss of accuracy. The gun was never got worse than it was at the third shot for fouling. When ramming, one firm, smooth stroke down, remove ramrod, cap and shoot.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies, I experimented with my online to find durofelt was under my Lee REAL was the ticket ...man this things are accurate (at least for my rifle) but only mediocre without a felt wad.

I'm prepping for a TC hawken in 50 I was gifted and want to shoot roundballs as accurately as can be achieved. But in my experimentation I want to know what to attempt vs what has no value.

Boolit Master
    For round balls just patch and shoot. You could try different lubes with the patches to see which you like best, from water or spit to specially formulated goo. I have found that adding a 'wad' to the PRB did nothing for me and sometimes made the load shoot worse.

Wads are there to help upset the bullet into the grooves on firing. Keeps the gases from 'leaking' and eroding the bullet. Minie or other hollow base bullets really do not need them as the hollow cavity is designed to do the same thing. Which wad is up to the rifle and bullet.

I had best luck with a card wad and felt wad, but, I mostly shot paper patched bullets so the felt wad was needed to help keep the fouling soft. I would seat the card on top of the powder, using quite a bit of compression on it. Then load the felt wad and bullet at the same time. Mine were sized for a slip fit in the bore (the weight of the ramrod would seat the bullet).

... bouncing the ramrod? Really? I mean we go to great lengths casting perfect boolits looking for accuracy and then slapping them out of shape with a ramrod makes zero sense. That said, consistent seating pressure does help in round ball and conicals. ...dave951

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Banned

there is a viable worth to "bouncing the rod" for some guns and shooters, and i will always load in that manner.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    there is a viable worth to "bouncing the rod" for some guns and shooters, and i will always load in that manner.
    I wouldnt call my deal bouncing ----but three firm bumps from about three inches above the ball --
    Shoot a ml over a chronygraph and ya might be amazed / dismayed at the velocity variation from just a little variation in loading pressure (I was anyway)

Heard or read this ditty someplace many years ago

" If ya wanna kill em dead
    Ram tha powder NOT tha lead"

Something from the old days - I have no idea what where or when - but its got in my head and never left...........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I wouldnt call my deal bouncing ----but three firm bumps from about three inches above the ball --
    Shoot a ml over a chronygraph and ya might be amazed / dismayed at the velocity variation from just a little variation in loading pressure (I was anyway)

Heard or read this ditty someplace many years ago

" If ya wanna kill em dead
    Ram tha powder NOT tha lead"

Something from the old days - I have no idea what where or when - but its got in my head and never left...........
    Great little rhyme...does any manufacturer make a flat face attachment for packing powder?

Boolit Bub
    Card wad under the ball worked for me in the rifle-musket with round ball. Don't put anything over the ball as you can ruin a barrel if the ball overruns the wad.

Boolit Master
    I have shot in many matches. I have seen guys bouncing the ramrod they have never finished in the prizes . ramrod bouncing and accuracy do not go hand and hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Great little rhyme...does any manufacturer make a flat face attachment for packing powder?

I use the cleaning jag. It is near enough to bore dia and seats the card wad on top of the powder nicely with as much pressure as you want.

I never understood why the rod is bounced. If you need to compress the load then just apply pressure to the rod. If not enough to grab onto then drill a short hole in your starter handle and use it on the rod.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, that is one of the simplest ideas I've heard. I doubt it will help my dismal (compared to target shooters) accuracy. I'll try seating my felt wad first on the powder, and then seating the ball on top of that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have shot in many matches. I have seen guys bouncing the ramrod they have never finished in the prizes . ramrod bouncing and accuracy do not go hand and hand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canberra target.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	252406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flintlock easter2018.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	252407
    it worked for me a couple times

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Wow, that is one of the simplest ideas I've heard. I doubt it will help my dismal (compared to target shooters) accuracy. I'll try seating my felt wad first on the powder, and then seating the ball on top of that.
    Not the felt wad , the card is over the powder (THEN) the felt wad

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You do not need to bounce the ramrod. I hate seeing people doing that.
    Never could figure out why anyone would want to deform their balls doing this!
    One mans pudding is another mans poison!
    Last edited by Hickory; 12-05-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast