Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 7.62x53R

7.62x53R

I was looking at what Mid South had on clearance. They listed Norma 7.62x53R cases. It was $.95 per case. Came in boxes of 25 so $23.75 per box.
    This is the same case as the 7.62x54R is. The Finnish call it the x53 the Russians x54.
    The difference is the Fins used a .308 bullet, the Russians a .310 or larger.
    I don't know if that's a good price or not.
    I have plenty of brass already, so I'll just pass this info on.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I was looking at what Mid South had on clearance. They listed Norma 7.62x53R cases. It was $.95 per case. Came in boxes of 25 so $23.75 per box.
    This is the same case as the 7.62x54R is. The Finnish call it the x53 the Russians x54.
    The difference is the Fins used a .308 bullet, the Russians a .310 or larger.
    I don't know if that's a good price or not.
    I have plenty of brass already, so I'll just pass this info on.
    Leo
    Finns also used .310, it's was the m27 that used .308 and the m39 used .310. I want to say the m28/30 also used .310.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Norma brass is the best to be had in that caliber. I have more invested in my brass than for my two rifles in that caliber.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Yeah -- 7.62x53 vs. x54 reminds me of when the Argentine 7.65mm M-91 Mausers first hit our shores back in the late '50s, billed as the 7.65x54mm Argentine, but later more often referred to as the 7.65x53mm Belgian. I guess it depends on who's reading the calipers.......!

Boolit Master
    Both my Finnish M 28/30's are .310

Boolit Master
    Leo,

Norma brass has always been pricey. If you want brass to load, go buy PPU loaded ammo for $18.00 per box and the cases are reloadable.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Leo,

Norma brass has always been pricey. If you want brass to load, go buy PPU loaded ammo for $18.00 per box and the cases are reloadable.

Adam
    I have Norma 7.62x54R brass which has been reloaded and fired with cast bullet loads over 100 times, neck sizing only and segregating to the rifle, and which I have been using since the 1980s. RWS and Lapua are also good.

In my experience PPU and nny mouth splits before you get to six unless you re-anneal every 5 reloads.
    Quality simply isn't there.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

It is about the same difference as .223 Vs 5.56 same case different name.

Boolit Master
    With the PPU or Hanson , I had to neck size only to extend the case life more than 5 loads.
    But I have a box of Norma cases purchases in 1976 that I am still reloading with cast loads.
    I did 10 loadings with jacketed.
    , Then switched to cast for I would estimate the next 40 loadings.

Is that a good price for Norma Brass? I have a few hundred PPU cases. Some was bought as loaded ammo, some as just brass.
    I have access to some Yugoslavian brass cases that can be converted from Berdan to Boxer primers.
    If it's a good price I may buy some.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I have a 300 round Spam Can of Chinese 7.62x54 brass berdan primed cases plus another 100 cases that are brass from a previous spam can.
    I got them before they banned the Chinese imports.
    I am going to convert them to boxer primed cases for shooting Cast loads.
    I did convert 40 of them so far using 1/4" copper tubing to reduce the size of the primer pocket , and they worked great..
    But I would not use those cases for jacketed higher pressure loads.
    I bought the two Spam Cans back in the late '80s for $45.00 for 600 rounds.
    I have to pull all the loaded rounds down because they have steel core bullets that the range will not let us shoot because of a fire Hazzard if they strike the metal gongs or rocks.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-26-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Well you talked me into it. I went back to buy some. They had one box left. I bought it.
    This was the last of the 25 case boxes. They had them by the 100 at $140 per.
    I also bought a box of 180 Sierra SP's to try.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I still have 5 new boxes of Norma loaded ammo that I haven't fired.
    I bought these over the years about 30 years ago.
    I don't know why I am saving them except for the fact I want to use them in one rifle only.
    And I have gone thru about 50 MN's over the years.
    The Sierra Bullets work great especially for hunting.
    But I prefer to shoot Cast to cut down on the cost per round just punching paper
    But I am narrowing it down to three rifles.
    Two M 28/30's and one 1891 rebuilt in 1942.
    All this other ammo keeps me from using my best brass.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-27-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't say the PPU cases aren't good quality. I have a batch of 99 cases that I have reloaded many times. I've lost count, but I know it's more than 15 times, and the cases were used when I got them.

I segregate the brass to individual rifles and neck size only. I anneal no later than every 3rd firing, and usually after the 2nd firing.
    These are all cast loads, I shoot in the Bolt-gun match at the club every month.

Perhaps the quality isn't equal to other brands, but for the price I'm not going to complain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I wouldn't say the PPU cases aren't good quality. I have a batch of 99 cases that I have reloaded many times. I've lost count, but I know it's more than 15 times, and the cases were used when I got them.

I segregate the brass to individual rifles and neck size only. I anneal no later than every 3rd firing, and usually after the 2nd firing.
    These are all cast loads, I shoot in the Bolt-gun match at the club every month.

Perhaps the quality isn't equal to other brands, but for the price I'm not going to complain.
    This is also my findings- the ppu brass is more adequate for the task , I ve long separated my Nagant rifle brass to a particular rifle ; seems to aid in accuracy and brass life- now that I’m down to playing with about 10-12 rifles it can be a pain but seems with it- and I’m not to stressed if a few pieces get mixed up- not for cast loads. Norma is fine brass of high quality and it’s price point reflects that.

Only Russian brass I have is some Lapua marked 7.62x53R. I'm going to have to get around to shooting that pike someday! I got a couple of NOE molds in .316 version just so I could.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I too reload for Specific Rifles in all my Mil Surps.
    It not only helps the accuracy , but greatly extends the case life.
    Now that I am down to only 6 MN's that is getting easier.
    The biggest difference in the rifles are the bores.
    But all other things factor in like Throat size , headspace , and overall chamber condition.

Boolit Master
    IIRC Lapua manufactured a 190 gr boatail matchgrade bullet of .309 diameter for use in 7.62X54r as well as .308 and .30-06 handloads. Probably used in the various nominally .30 caliber magnum cartridges as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    IIRC Lapua manufactured a 190 gr boatail matchgrade bullet of .309 diameter for use in 7.62X54r as well as .308 and .30-06 handloads. Probably used in the various nominally .30 caliber magnum cartridges as well.
    The D46 series of bullets in both 170 and 190-grain weights and in both .308 and .309 diameters were once imported into the US. For sale in Europe they also made a 200-grain and additional diameters of .310, and .311" which were intended to compensate for throat wear, which is how the Europeans got such great barrel life from their 300 meter Free rifles and managed to clobber us in International competition. When ten-shot groups at 300 meters went over 10cm extreme spread, instead of junking the barrel, they just went to the next size-up bullet. Most Finn, Swedish, and Russian barrels have sufficient neck clearance for .312 bullets, which is why they also shoot cast so well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.