Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grrr. Broke a third one!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you sizing or swaging with that poor old 450? The only broken handle we’ve experienced around here came with using stiff lube (cold) and hard oversized bullets in a well used then thirty year old plus Model 450. Good luck with yours.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have been using one since 1972 with out a problem. but then it has always been in a warn heated house.

Boolit Grand Master

cwlongshot

"Mostly I crimp gas checks and size bullets. Probably 90% of the time.
    When sizing its Powder Coated bullets. No lube used.

I have occasionally lubed the powder coated bullets to size them when they are large. Like sizing a 460/454."

Apparently it's the "10%" of the time that's causing the breakage........ sizing powder coated bullets, especially if heat treated or WQ hardened, .006 over the sizing diameter is not what the 450's or 4500s for that matter, were designed to do.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Mine are kept in doors in basement. But Im not lubing with them. Just sizing and even then mostly just seating gas checks.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Heat your lube, shouldn’t have that much force unless your sizing them too much at a time. If so take it in steps not all at once. I did get a package trade for one that the casting was completely blown out the side. Parts were all good but the the main body had a 5 inch blow out in it. I used lymans for years but have completely switched over to stars and left 2 Lachmillers for odd rifle and powder coating.
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Got mine as hand me down about 1964. I have no idea how many boolits have been through it. I did replace the bolts with hardened bolts but just on a whim because I had them. I size and lube in winter I put a little Quartz heater on bench behind it and bring it up to room temp. Basement gets chilly in winter and lube can get stiff.
    Nary a problem in all those years.

Boolit Master

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Either you have arms like a gorilla or you need to quit using that cheater bar.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Well I did also break a RCBS Summit press....

CW

Banned
    Do you think it might be you?

I assume you are seating the gas check, powder coating then sizing with the push through.
    Have you tried powder coating and the push through sizer then seat the checks?
    Is the die you use to seat the checks the same size as the bullets you are seating checks on?
    If not try using one that does. This way you are not sizing the bullet any. This should ease the stress on your machine.
    Have you tried seating the checks with the push through die? they are supposed to.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    RCBS LAM2.

Boolit Grand Master
    As a friend used say, “That boy could break the horn off an anvil with a rubber hammer!”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Its because of the powder coat... It seems quite slick. But the stopping and starting as pointed out is the game Changer.

Yes I have tried seating GC in/with a push thru. They size fine they dont install a GC on a powder coated bullet worth a darn.

Im not rough not ham handed. Maybe stronger then many. Likly, subscribe to the bugger hammer theology too. but I dont know.

I quickly made a new handle and it works fine now. Its not “finished” but will allow me to complete this batch. I also changed up and will ONLY seat and crimp chexks. near ZERO STRESS, on machine. Then a push thru LEE as its 358. I size bullets upside down. GC first as the bullet is a FP.

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Did I read you correctly that you are using NO LUBE?? That alone can do it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I don't PC but do Hitek. After coated, usually within the hour and no more than 2, I spray a 11-1 mix of Alcohol/lanolin to size 1-2 thousandths. I might not NEED to lube but they fly through the sizing die with nary a hitch. Sure helps with the start of the sizing and they look glass slick where the sizing die did it's thing. Absolutely no bullet setback when hitting the feed ramp in my 9mm brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Spray your bullets with one shot case lube. Works wonders.

Yup, cast steel machined like triump transmission gears. Bet that break looks like pot metal break, real big grains. Rest of the thing is probably pot metal too so I'd make a handle/lever with a narrow part near the handle that will bend before breaking anything else. Pot metal doesn't weld good, brazing might help but see the above.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Agreed. Junk metal. Appears sand Cast too. No way Ill repair the broken piece. Ill make new then harden it. It rides on 1/4” grade 8 bolts. Im also gonna move handle back. Somits more over yhe top. Its “ power stroke” is low now. With handle back lil it will be where user has more muscle. So should make for easier use. ( lil more leverage)

Its not quality at all.

Your right Fox!! I have found a good use for Hornady one stuck!! Powder coat bullet lube!!!

I didnt want the mess, but I think you are right.

Handle I threw together is just 2, 12” sticks of 1/8x3/4” angle. Welded together, Drilled and ground for clearance. Cobbled together but working. Ill make better this week. Need to make two once I have good design. Then ill harden both before finishing.

CW

Just harden the holes! Hard steel is more brittle to stress cracks.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast