Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Garage Find

Boolit Man

Garage Find

Was cleaning out my garage over the weekend and found a full case of 12 1lb containers of Vihtavuori N140 and a sealed 8lb container of Winchester 760. Apparently, this stuff was left over from when I closed my shop down about a year ago. I can never have too much VV N140 on hand. However, I am looking through my arsenal and am not sure what I can use the W760 for. The closest match is for 308 which is what I use the N140 for. I know there is data available for the 308 but I think W760 is a bit slow for that application. Does anyone have any experience shooting W760 with .308 in the 150-180gr bullet range? Does the stuff work worth a darn or would I have better luck selling or trading it for whatever I can get?

I have used Winchester 760 in cartridges from the 22-250 to the 8 mm Mauser and it worked perfectly in all of them. It's pretty much identical to H 414. I will recommend Magnum strength primers for it.
    What cartridges do you use the VVN140 in? I inherited 3 lb of it recently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at Hodgdon you could replicate factory 243 100gr loads with it spot on. Doesn't have bad velocity in the lighter stuff either. What's unique about it compared to N140 I have no clue though. Not seeing any 223 loadings which would be where else I'd burn it up (cheap blasting ammo.)

This is the perfect reason to research what 760 is the most accurate in, and buy a rifle in that cal.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    All ive used in 308 with 150gr spitzer j-words. I ladder tested and found a load that does 1-1/4 Dont remember the charge but it is huntin and water jug ammo.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    .308 Win., 47.3 grains WW-760, 165 grain SPBT BULLET, C.O.L. 2.750”. Straight from Sierra manual. It’ll work.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    This is the perfect reason to research what 760 is the most accurate in, and buy a rifle in that cal.
    Got to admit. I like your thinking.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have used Winchester 760 in cartridges from the 22-250 to the 8 mm Mauser and it worked perfectly in all of them. It's pretty much identical to H 414. I will recommend Magnum strength primers for it.
    What cartridges do you use the VVN140 in? I inherited 3 lb of it recently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    N140 is my goto powder for .308. Absolutely love it so you can imagine my excitement of finding a full case of it stashed away. The rifle calibers I shoot are .223, 300 AAC, 308, 338 Lapua, and 50 BMG. With the exception of maybe the .308, not finding much use for W760 for my situation.

Boolit Master

Trade off that W760, maybe get something you can use. Perhaps one of your shooting buddies can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiverJay View Post
    Got to admit. I like your thinking.
    Ya gotta look at everything being an opportunity to get stuff you want, or at least a reason to buy more power tools.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I shot Win760 in my 308 with the Lee 312-155 bullets, oven heat treated. I hate to admit this but, I filled the case to the base of the neck knowing that I couldn't over pressure it with Win760. I don't remember how many grains it was. I was testing Bens Liquid Lube at the time and so used three coats. I got to the range late and only had a half hour before dark so I couldn't let the barrel cool between shots. I shot 19 shots onto one target bull. All shots were under a 2" diameter group, shot one right after another in 90*F heat. No leading. Estimated velocity was 2500 FPS (it hit to the same POI as my jacketed 165gr rounds). So, try that Win760 in your 308!
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 12-06-2019 at 03:21 AM.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I like it.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    760 has good load density in a bit larger cases - 06,7x57, 30-40 Krag. I can fit more powder in an Ackley 7mm Mauser than other slow powders and get better velocity. We are talking long J- bullets.

However it gives me the best accuracy in a 308 with an 18" barrel and 150 grain accubonds. Kinda slow but way more accurate in that rifle than Varget, or IMR 4895. Go figure. Got a nice 4 point mulie this year with it too.

Using #375296 in a 375x45-70, compressed charge of 760 and mag primer was my deer load.
    760 is good soft boolit powder.

Got some heavy bullet 5.56 data for it around here somewhere.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 12-13-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I used W760 for many of my 06 loads back in the early 1980's. I kinda remember something like sixty or so grains with 150's or so, almost 3000fps if my memory is still working, lol. Lots of fire out the end of the muzzle.

Banned

Winchester 760 was hands down the best thing going for 100 grain bullets in my 6mm and also with 165s in my .30-06. I don't shoot much of it anymore because I shoot mostly cast, but it is great stuff.