Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bullet for Uberti High Wall 45-70

Boolit Mold
    Country Gent - This is superb information for a newby. Have you considered writing a book "Intro to BP Shooting". I would be a buyer.

I'm looking forward to picking up the rifle tomorrow morning.
    The gunsmith at the store is a Sharps owner. He has 5, 1874's in 45-70 and 1 in 45-90. Since the Uberti I am buying only has stock sights, he is brining in a couple of Pedersoli sights that he thinks I might be interested in.
    The front sight is a globe sight. I don't know if it has a bubble level but I'm hoping it does.
    The rear is a Pedersoli medium distance, so I don't think it will work for me.
    He is also giving me a handful of 500 grain bullets to try. I think they are from a Lee mould. At this point, I'm happy to try anything I can put my hands on to start testing.

You might consider the Lyman 480 gr. semi pointed bullet. I think it would perform well in your 1:20 twist barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010235575?pid=476802

Boolit Grand Master

Matrix, The pedersoli sights are okay, I have one on my 74 long range pedersoli. Its the soule model and it is good for setting to one distance and leaving, but repeatability leaves a little to be desired. In a lot of matches you shoot several different distances and being able to crank up to a setting accurately is a plus. I would look at the MVA long range soule with a Hadley eye cup. these repeat well and have a easy to read Vernier scale. More expensive, but much better and easier to use. As to the front the front globe with level is preferred but a level can be installed in the rear sight dovetail also. All my front sights have levels 2 are wind gage also. On a windy day its nice to make main correction up front and adjust from there on rear. Also allows for rear to stay centered more making for a better cheek weld and head position.

I also use several MVA scopes on my rifles. These are 6X and full length. Again front mount has wind adjustment and rear elevation and wind. Since these scopes use unertal posa bases base heights can be played with to zero rifle and to set a 20 or so moa into the mount. With these scopes ring spacing is important as it sets the rings adjustment per graduations.

You might consider a few outing with the orifinal sights and decide from there what you want or need. A mid range on 45-70 will usually get you to 600 yds maybe a little farther.

Some thing a lot don't realize with these rifle /sight set ups is the actual sight radius you get. with a 34" barrel and tang sight you end up with around a 38" sight radius, this really makes sight alignment easier. Almost like a zero magnification scope.

Get a food full set of apertures for the front globe for round targets gind ine that leaves a healthy line of white around it . This allows you to see when its centered easier. With the Hadley eye cup use the aperture that allows for a clear bright view looking thru it. You don't look at the rear but thru it the eye naturally centers it. To small an aperture and light doesn't get to the eye making seeing hard, to big and the tendency to want to "center" it becomes more predominant. Again all my rifles wear hadleys.

Boolit Mold
    marlinman93 - Thank you for the suggestion. I will check it out.
    country gent - Again, thank you for the very detailed information. I feel liking I'm getting an excellent book of information over the forum.
    I went to pick up the Uberti yesterday and the sights were OK. A step up from stock but not exactly what I was hoping for. The rear came with 2 posts, short and mid-range. The short is calibrated but the mid-range isn't. The front is a globe but doesn't have a level. Both will be OK to get started and will help me do some load testing but they will have to be upgraded.
    I agree with your comments regarding MVA, not cheap but very well made. I believe they will be my "go to" for long distance sights.
    Again, thank you for your sage advise.

Boolit Grand Master

You are welcome Matrix.
    Sights are going to make or break you. A set that wont repeat to a setting can be hard to deal with other than when you can set and forget. My line book has the sight setting for each rifle in it from 100-500yds. Look up the rifle and load and its there in the chart. This makes setting for each stage a lot easier with good sights.
    Its really rewarding to go from 100-200 then 300-400 and 400-500 and get first shot hits at each one. LOL This takes good note taking and accurate repeatable sights.

Boolit Mold
    Country Gent - Thank you again for the invaluable information and suggestions.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    if you haven't bought a mould yet, maybe look at Lyman 457677. It is a tapered boolit, so you can get more boolit in the bore and less in the case, which means more powder. I have a mould but you are on the wrong side of the world for me to send a few to you to try.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Mold
    Southern Son - Thank you for the recommendation. It seems you aren't the only one who likes this Lyman bullet. I did a little digging on-line and found the following;

This is a Paul Mathews designed bullet. It is of "bore rider" design, which means the front driving bands are smaller diameter than the rear bands. This allows the bullet to be seated further out of the case to make more room for powder.It is a great BPCR design and carries a lot of lube. On a good day, I've gone ten shots without fouling out with this bullet. Most days, I only make it to eight shots before fouling takes its toll on accuracy. That's still very good with no wiping or blow-tubing.Unfortunately, not every Lyman mold in this design yields completely cylindrical bullets. I have two molds of this design and one of them makes bullets that are more elliptical than cylindrical. Thus, only four stars. Wonderful bullet design, less than impressive mold.

Boolit Bub
    Friend shot 500gr round nose Lyman shot well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12