RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee sizers

Boolit Master

Lee sizers

I tell ya I scare myself a lil..

I cast some assorted 30’s yesterday. Came into Loading room looking for my 310 sizer. Now these are PB bullets so I wanted a NOE/LEE push thru.

I was pretty sure I had NOT yet bought 30’s for the NOE. But I checked. Nope nothing. (Been buying one caliber at a time over last few months to build my “set”) But I “knew” I had a LEE... I found the .311. .312, & 314. Couldnt find the .310. Checked with two buddies. Nope I didnt lend it. *** over?!?

OK. Ill just order one as I dont have a pusher for 30 I figured Id just order the LEE.

THEY DONT OFFER A .310!!!

I was sure I had one! I see I could get one custom. Or maybe I had bought a used one off ebay. Dunno I was pretty sure I had one but maybe just maybe not.

Today I made a 30 cal pusher. Using a piece of steel .300 and a shell holder. I drilled a hole just undersize and pressed it into the shell Holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1CD38AAF-C5BD-4C4D-BEB4-1C92DE9AA199.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	251876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1CD38AAF-C5BD-4C4D-BEB4-1C92DE9AA199.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	251876

Ooh boy are Lyman shell Holders hard!!! I had to cherry it and let it cool just to cut it!!!!

Why would Lee not offer such a common size?!?!?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Sorry for the pics

This software isnt friendly to my fat fingers...
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I noticed lee doesn’t offer certain sizes I need . I have made a smaller die bigger but you would think lee would offer more sizes. I guess they only sell the most common sizes

Boolit Grand Master

Isn't hard to hone a .309 Lee sizer out to .310 and the push rod works fine w/o modification.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    ^^this.

And lee will make any size you want as a custom. I did that for paper patching for my muzzle loader.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a custom .258 from them. Website says to allow 6 weeks, it was on my doorstep in 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Isn't hard to hone a .309 Lee sizer out to .310 and the push rod works fine w/o modification.
    It sure isn't, but be careful to check as you go with the enlarging process because they are relatively soft and you can go bigger than you wanted to without stopping to check often. (Learned the hard way)
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I order the size under anyway cause they can be out of round and not very smooth.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have made a .310 out of a .309, a .431 from a .430 ,and a .351 from a .338 (had to make a rod for the later one from a 9mm/.356 push rod). Sandpaper, a 1/4" rod, a micrometer and a drill and you are off to the races.

Slit the end of the rod with a razor saw or small hack saw and slide a 3/8-1/2" x 1 1/2" strip piece of 400 grit sand paper into the slot and wrap the ends so the rotation of drill will force the ends of the sand paper out against the walls of the die. Pump it in and out of the die with the drill running for 15-30 seconds then size a boolet and measure it to see how close you are. Repeat as necessary until you get almost the size you need, then switch to a 600 grit piece of sand paper to polish the die to the final desired measurement. This is not a long drawn out process, (unless you are going for something like a .351 sizer for your .348 Winchester)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have real Lee 308,309,310 & 311. Also a couple 308 that size 307!.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I want a .313 for my K-32 and other 32 revolvers, but notice Lee doesn’t offer that one either. I just came into a Star sizer, so I guess I’ll have to spend the bux to have that size die cut for it... if I do, that will force me to make the Star a “dedicated” 32 caliber sizer. I hate the prospect of changing out those dies!

If I need to use a push-though die on a loading press, there’s a vendor named Tom Crone who comes to N-SSA Skirmishes and who will make the sizes that aren’t standard from Lee.

BTW, apropos of nothing, I just ran a batch of Lee TL bullets (thanks, Dale53) through the old 313 die in my 450 Lyman press. I got an interesting looking but usable product. I’ll be shooting them @ Dale’s range Saturday or Monday.

Happy Turkey Day!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    All of this is why one of my next purchases will be an NOE sizing setup. Bushings are inexpensive so can have several in different sizes.