Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Interesting read on LE training history

Boolit Master

Interesting read on LE training history

A long read on police firearms training history and trying to find someway to measure its success on the street.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...mless_activity

Banned
    OK, lets start with the publication date of that "study" - 1998.
    Yep, that 25 page study is 21 years old. (well 23 pages of text and two pages + of references)

Then we can talk about how incredibly overbroad that study is. They tackled a HUGE amount of questions and included a HUGE amount of variables.

That particular study didn't shed light on much of anything. They looked at the history of LE firearm's training (up to 1998) but the data they draw from is just all over the map, different eras, different geographical areas, different weapons, changing social climates, body armor, tactics, type of training (marksmanship verses tactical) and about a dozen other variables.
    That study appears to have been created by someone that wanted to change training and wanted to justify that change in training.

Boolit Master
    The thing I found interesting was was when formal firearms training became widely accepted , and the number of shots fired and number of hits scored under real life duress .
    If anything can be learned from this study it's get on the floor and take cover when

That piece was written by a Lieutenant who was trying to make Captain by cutting the Department's qualification schedule (spelled: b-u-d-g-e-t) in half.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 415m3 View Post
    That piece was written by a Lieutenant who was trying to make Captain by cutting the Department's qualification schedule (spelled: b-u-d-g-e-t) in half.
    Exactly my take on it. Had a lot of the same BS thrown at me (I was the firearms/officer survival instructor) every year just before budget time......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Good summations above.

I also was subject to the vicissitudes of upwardly-mobile training budget trimmers. My solution was to largely ignore them enthusiastically (What can they do? Not promote me? Don't throw me in THAT briar patch, Brer Bear!) I just muddled on, and when dollars ran short I applied the tried & true maxim--"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission", and forged ahead. When you have nothing to lose, they have nothing left to deprive you of. Funny how that works.

Retirement is grand.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.