Boolit Master

Any one cast 6.5’s?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14D66F71-E5CA-4093-8A9B-AD045BC85181.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	251842

Hello guys!!

Never intended to cast for the 6.5... Not that I'm opposed. Just so many others keep me entertained.

Yesterday, visiting with my friend. I borrowed a few molds. Couple
    Small 30’s a couple Louvern 155 & 175g and a single cav 375 for my Marlin. The LEE I bought last year in a Bevel Base wont shoot. Im probably gonna mill it off as suggested. Lastly was this mold.

One was a Lyman 268645. I intended to just cast a few. But the darn mold was a dream and I had a couple Hundred in no time. Cast from W/W with a touch of tin & lino should be about a 14/15 BHN. I also see the mold is a GC. So Ill need some of those too. They are long... probably 150+.

Any advice or comments?

I have a Grendel (yes I know it's a long bullet but CB’s are slow anyhow and its Powder Cap might be nice..) and I have a 6.5/06. Sold off my Sweede. ;(

Please disgrguard STUPID smart phone refuses to allow me to post proper pic unless the “improper” pic is also attached. Tried three times and it will only put up the 311.

CW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AF59FD6E-DDBB-4520-86C2-F795CDA34799.jpeg  
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 11-25-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Three sttempts to
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I cast for 260 Rem and 6.5 Grendel. I use NOE molds though. Grendel gets 126g and the 260 gets 140g.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

That 268 Lyman may be too fat for your 6.5 guns ...assuming they are made to USA 6.5 specs.
    That mold is designed for Foreign built war horses that are typically .004 to .005 larger than the USA specs (.264)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Do a search for 6.5X55, and you will find it was probably the most cussed and discussed bore size ever here.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I cast with a Lyman 266469 for my Swede rifles...........shoot pretty good in my guns!

Boolit Master

I did not realize JonB!!!

I did wonder why it was a 268 and not 266. But Lyman and its numbers. Who knows what they really mean...

CW

You know how certain boolits get nicknames ("soupcan")?
    That one should be "concrete anchor"!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Be very careful as you size. Some overlong bullets for bore have a tendency to bend as they move through the die.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    That's for a 6.5 carcano (Italian) not a Swede.

Boolit Master
    I just shot a few 266469's out of a 6.5 Carcano. 140 GC mold. Shot better than I thought. I cast a bunch of these a few years ago for my Swedes but they kept falling over when I tried to PC them, so moved on to other calibers. Sized and GC'd a few at .266 and then PC'd them laying down and they came out to .369/.370. Shot pretty decent in the Carcano, may try a few more.

I bought the Lee Cruise Missile mold for my type 38 Jap, but have never been able to make it shoot. The case has a relatively short neck for such a long boolit, and the Metford Rifling seems not to like cast at all. There is not enough case capacity to use sufficient slow-burning powder to drive them hard, which seems to be the ticket with those long 6.5's. Load development for the Jap is waiting until I get some other projects off the ground.

In your 6.5/06 you may be able to generate enough velocity to make it work. I would look at the barrel twist, though. It should be reasonably fast twist for a long boolit.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I found out I had to bump the nose a bit with the cruise missile for them to fit the throat properly. Then it shoots well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5mm Bullet Moulds.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	251940I could never get the Lee cruise missile to work in my M91 Carcano until I cut the mould down to throw 150gn bullets.
    I use the RCBS 140gn `silhouette` bullet for my Type 38 Arisaka and M96 Swede and it works well.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master

cwlongshot...... Would your friend be willing to sell that 268645 mold?
    I sure would like to buy it.
    Denny

Boolit Master

Ill ask him!

CW

Banned

I never could get the Swede I had to shoot very well with cast or jacketed and it went down the road, no regrets. I do still have several molds and will give it a try again with another 6.5. Right now the only rifle around here in 6.5 is my son's model 7 in .260 Remington, might try some cast in it.

I have an RCBS 140 grain mold and a NOE double cavity that makes a 125 grain, one cavity plain based, and Dad had a Saeco mold in his stuff, never cast with it so not sure. All of them look like good designs and ought to shoot well in the right rifle.

ALmost hate to mention it with the criticism it tends to get from us old timers, but they're so cheap and available, I'm considering going to the PX next time they have a sale and leaving with a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore and seeing what one will do with cast.