Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: .45-70 Baikal Double rifle

Boolit Buddy

.45-70 Baikal Double rifle

Hallo guys.

I am entertaining the thought of buying one of these Biakal mp-221 .45-70 rifles for hunting and fun, and for the heck of just having a sxs double, but I’ve never seen one, what do you guys think of them?
    Do anyone know what the twist rate of the barrels could be?
    I wonder how many regret they bought one?
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!

Smile

They are cheap, built like a tractor and not that well regulated but you can do this yourself. Yep it has adjustable regulation!!!
    They have terrible triggers and the recocking cam set up generally means the barrels will spring back slightly preventing easy insertion of live rounds.
    There is a fix for this using aftermarket bits or a bit of smithing and a couple of 1911 hammer springs.
    Light for a double rifle.
    That is all I can remember sorry.
    I think they point quite well from memory.

Always wanted to have one and bore it out to 45-90.

What's a Barra?

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Barramundi
    A little fishy! Well it starts little.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barra.jpg 
Views:	1326 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	251838

Typical russian built. Simple but solid. Light weight so plan on light bullet weights and loads or it will beat you up.

Never had a desire for one in .45-70 and just as I was getting interested their us distribute dropped them. I suspect finding parts would be problamatic. But I think they have potential. If nothing else they captured some of that mystique of the old cape guns.

I'd love to have one in smaller caliber, possibly pistol caliber carbine. Something reasonably accurate, fun to play with.

Decades ago I had a Baikal O/U 12 gauge over 6.5x55. It was nicely built with double triggers and shot and functioned well. The only thing I hated was the sights. They were too close together and too "Russian".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One of my friends and a regular shooting buddy had/has one and it would not regulate for love nor money. After the first shot, the second barrel would barely hit a 2'x2' cardboard backer. We tried every load we could come up with and it never was accurate and I mean accurate by double gun standards. Triggers are really heavy with lots of creep and overtravel. Save your money and find a Tikka O/U. He has one of those with several barrel sets and every one of them shoot a bunch better that the Baikal.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

I'd love to have one in smaller caliber, possibly pistol caliber carbine.

They were offered in two chamberings - .45-70 & .30-06

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceA View Post
    Barramundi
    A little fishy! Well it starts little.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barra.jpg 
Views:	1326 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	251838
    Bait to catch saltwater crocs?

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Bait to catch saltwater crocs?

BB
    No tourists.
    Come by the thousand after them. There is a little town of 400 residents called Karumba nearby. During Barra season the population grows to about 4,000.

no regrets know they are an entry level sxs rifle for 800 can new when they were retailed a few years ago .They are are what they are ,not a H&H

Boolit Master
    I owned a couple. Good rifles if you can find a smith to fix the triggers. Everyone I owned would shoot under an inch at 50 yards with a shot from each barrel. You need to educate yourself how to adjust velocity in your reloads to get the best results.
    I can’t the stress the importance of getting the triggers fixed enough. Out of the box I bet they are at least 10 pounds.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 11-30-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    East Tennessee

Never shot one. Handled used one in a shop. Owner told me he sold it 3 times since he took it on trade. Owners traded it back in because they couldn't get it regulated. It seemed clumsy to me, but I've owned a couple SXS rifles that were preWar made in Austia, both were for obsolete BP cartridges. Never shot either one but they were well made. Not the grade of H&H but felt as good, I've never shot a H&H either but have handled a few.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone know where you can find on in the USA?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Never shot one. Handled used one in a shop. Owner told me he sold it 3 times since he took it on trade. Owners traded it back in because they couldn't get it regulated. It seemed clumsy to me, but I've owned a couple SXS rifles that were preWar made in Austia, both were for obsolete BP cartridges. Never shot either one but they were well made. Not the grade of H&H but felt as good, I've never shot a H&H either but have handled a few.
    They are very easy to regulate. You can use the built in adjustment wheel and/or tailor your reloads. Of the 3 I owned all were capable of shooting both barrels into 1 inch groups at 50 yards. The general rule is reducing the velocity of the loads will cause each barrel to shoot wide. Increasing the velocity will generally pull the POI tighter.
    Most owners of the 45/70 start with modern loads designed for a Marlin and this causes them to be in a hopeless situation. If I recall correctly the factory uses a load with about 28,000 pressure.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 12-01-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I have been fortunate enough to obtain both 45-70 and its little brother 30-06 in the Baikal doubles. Unfortunately I have not been able to get out and shoot since purchasing them. They were NOS still in the original boxes I don't think the boxes had ever been opened. Our lgs closed and they were sold as part of inventory dispersal.

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn’t mind doing one of these with some nice wood. Not sure how nice the bluing is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk