WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fired primer anvils as brass cleaning media

Boolit Grand Master

Tumbling brass is not an exact science. Anything can be used for tumbling and even nothing, no media with brass in a tumbler will work to clean brass. It all depends on the finish left on the case. The speed and finish is what really determines the media. For a quick cleaning, ceramic media, hard resin, BBs, hardware (small nuts and screws) and pebbles will work but the finish is often a dull matte. For a finer finish, softer media (corn cob, walnut, dried peas/beans, cat litter, baking soda) or liquid and small media works.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    If those SS pins are left wet they will rust somewhat, I know this because I've done it
    Which also indicates they are not true stainless steel.

Boolit Master
    There are many types of stainless steel. Some are magnetic, but they're still stainless steel.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    If those SS pins are left wet they will rust somewhat, I know this because I've done it
    I leave the pins in water in the tumbler with the last little bit of liquid from the tumbling process, so it also has a slight amount of Armorall Wash an Wax. I use a Dillon separator filled with water to separate the pins, so the pins don't see pure water except when I'm refilling to run another batch. I have yet to see any rust.
    If you have any steel cases in the batch though, brass does not look too good after tumbling. I have to stop and clean the pins without any brass before I can get good results again. Just my .02

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    There are many types of stainless steel. Some are magnetic, but they're still stainless steel.
    I'm not an expert on stainless steel but this is correct. I have a few different type of stainless bolts in my bolt bins and I want to say that the 300 series stainless is non-magnetic while the 400 series is.

I leave my wet pins in the tumbler drum and have no rust problems. And thankfully mine are magnetic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12