Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Weather Effect on 1911 Reliability

Boolit Master

Reminds me of a story out of Canada with gas cylinder explosions. Apparently the steel alloy used in the cylinders became brittle at about -40 so a slight impact would break them. I think they have since changed the cylinder alloy but what about the gun steels?

Having lived in -65 temp's I can most certainly attest to a couple facts concerning these temperatures.

1 ... you most assuredly can tell the dif between -40 and -65 or -70. Harder to breath, harder to move, harder to exert in any fashion and the time exposed relates directly to survivability.

2 ... being surly and desiring to do harm to another is in no way dependant on being "warm enough".

3 ... having a weapon that has great penetration capabilitys is paramount when trying to stop a fight through "winter cloth's.

4 ... weapons , most certainly auto feeders , need NO lube whatsoever to function in extreme cold. Not like you are going to expend hundreds of rounds at below 20 or 30 degree's ... let alone below 50 degree below zero.

5 ... only very dedicated persons will be spending time in cold like this with desire to do deadly harm ... You want to end the conflict very quickly!

That is my speel. I am quite done now. At 63 years young ... very glad to be done with that foolishness!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Reminds me of a story out of Canada with gas cylinder explosions. Apparently the steel alloy used in the cylinders became brittle at about -40 so a slight impact would break them. I think they have since changed the cylinder alloy but what about the gun steels?
    I don't know if they still have this on their web site but Krieger would not do light weight SS barrels due to decreased hoop strength of SS in extreme cold.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    Iirc the russians used diesel/kero applied very lightly to lube/clean guns in the winter during WW2.

Boolit Master

I would imagine so FerricOxide. I mean what else would they have?

Interesting series of test JB. I've fired my Glocks at -25. They worked fine, me, not so much.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FerricOxide View Post
    Iirc the russians used diesel/kero applied very lightly to lube/clean guns in the winter during WW2.
    Ed's Red is ATF, kerosene and acetone. The 'oil' version is ATF and kerosene.

But, if in very cold or very dusty environments I would use graphite alone. These days there are several versions out there.

I wonder if the teflon stuff works at those temps.

Boolit Master
    As a cheechako I was taught by the sourdoughs Remoil is your friend. Springfield and Kimber left in the truck all day shot fine after work -30F. Superredhawk didn't care if I oiled it or not. Fingers are a different story, need mittens with holes. Cold makes pistols black after firing but it wipes off. I retired to Arizona, and glad to feel my feet again.

Boolit Master

Anyone know what's goin' on with JBinMN? Used to be very active, really silent nowadays...hope he's well.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sig556r: Click on Community, then Member List, then Search Members and enter their name, to do that search;

JBinMN was on yesterday.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing that stuck out to me in the video was how frosty the guns are. To me this indicates that they guns were left in a freezer, then brought out into a heated room to test. This is worse than a worst case scenario. I have no experience in the extreme cold. In MN we only ever get down to about -20, Once a year we might see -35. Far north MN sees slightly colder temps.

The #1 most important thing I do when hunting, and especially winter hunting, is to leave everything outside, usually in a shed or in the truck bed. If the gun is left outside, it will not frost like that. The #2 most important thing I do is to barely oil anything. I basically wipe it on, and wipe it off. I have had zero problems this way. Everything I have is as reliable at -20 as they are at 80. I don't use grease either. I know grease on semi-auto guns is all the rage now, but I have never used grease on any gun. It just is not needed.

Boolit Master
    Canada's RCMP did a very through scientific test on their issued firearms and lubricants to be used on them. From extreme heat to extreme cold. The co winners were G-96 and a grease that I cannot remember.

You can find the test on the web.

Boolit Master

Everything slows down when it gets cold. ATF works when the mercury drops...

Boolit Master
    Dad was in N.African desert and in Italian mountains in WW2.
    Army said no lube on auto weapons in winter.
    Also clean using gasoline.
    Also firing pins and springs.
    Slow firing pin causes misfires and faulty ignition.
    Bolt action firing pins shot dry.
    Clean but dry.
    No oil except on wood stock.
    Keep weapons under dust cover but ready for instant use.
    Never bring weapons into heated area. Leave outside or condensation will collect inside and freeze causing stoppages.
    In summer they used water or urine to scrub the bore.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    I can't fathom the idea that formulated the parameters for this test....lowest temp during the infamous Chosin Reservoir battle was 36 below 0, I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to pick a gunfight at -65F.
    The lowest temperature I shot my 1911 at was -20F; I use motor oil and it worked flawlessly.
    ...but, even using mechanics gloves I have a hard time feeling the trigger, and on one occasion a shot went off before I wanted it to. So I use my S&W 66 in the cold. :/
    Last edited by Win94ae; 03-07-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: punctuation

Boolit Master

I found 4 cans of the lubricant arctic weather , cans had been stored poorly , poured all into 1 gallon can , castrol it said on it , do not figure to go out to shoot 1911 pistols in those temps but have the oil , maybe if global warming goes back to the next ice age I will be prepared , interesting to see comments in above posts .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12